“Romantic and Lovely”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed June 13, 2011

A hidden historic gem. We wanted a romantic getaway close to home (San Diego) and were not disappointed. My husband surprised me with a birthday "theater package" which included great seats at the newly refurbished Fox Theater, a couples massage, excellent dining experiences and a large elegant room. The only "problem" was the enthusiastic running footsteps of young wedding revelers coming by our room after a night of partying. The Inn does 3-5 weddings a weekend so there are plenty spirited folks enjoying themselves. Asking for a quieter room may be an option.

There are newer reviews for The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I recently stayed at the Mission Inn Hotel and Spa as part of a business trip in Riverside. The hotel is absolutely beautiful; and unique to intricate details and multiple winding stairways. It truly is quite a beauty. During my stay, I met several staff members and they were all quite friendly and helpful. I enjoyed several of the restaurants and they were all quite satisfactory. My hotel room (a junior suite) was nicely appointed and the bed was especially comfortable. The room was very tidy upon check-in.

I did notice, however, that the Mission Inn lacks some modern conveniences. For example, in my room, I had no wireless though I did have wired internet. Also, there is no hotel guest business center (i.e. public computers, copier, fax machine, etc.). For some people, this needs to be a major consideration. For me, this wasn't a critical issue.

The Spa at Mission Inn was absolutely fabulous. It was peaceful and very relaxing. Their staff is stellar and extremely attentive. I highly recommend that you visit their spa. Also, I recommend you participate in their afternoon tea. It was an absolutely delightful experience that I will definitely enjoy again on a future visit.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank BusinessTraveler1983
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I could not believe such a wonderful place exists in Riverside. You do not need to leave the hotel. Everything is there that you need (besides golf). Check inn was easy and very friendly. We asked for an upgrade if possible and received with no problem.The room was wonderfully decorated, charming and clean. It overlooked the gorgeous Spanish courtyard.We opened a bottle of champagne and walked around the property for hours, admiring the architecture. We got chili rellenos at their Las Campanas Restaurant that were delicious and cupcakes at Casey's for dessert. The best part was that the spa offered a couples package of High Tea and a message. YES, they offer high tea everyday. Beautiful spa and pool. Can not believe the friendliness of the staff and NO RESORT FEES. (Everyone now a days wants to charge you extra for nothing) Didn't want to leave but when valet pulled our car around, they offered us water for our trip. Nice ending. LOVE The Mission Inn. Will return time and time again.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade, especially Sun-thurs.
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stay at numerous hotels due to being a poker player. I really really enjoyed this place. The rooms were nicely decorated and very pleasant to stay. I really loved the big bedgs and the comfortable mattresses. It is such a beautiful place to stay and the staff has been wonderful. I have stayed almost three weekends in the row. I am planning on staying again this Sunday. I havent used pool yet but I am looking forward to it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

Dear PeteRocks,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoy staying with us and that you fournd your room pleasant and comfortable. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything you need your next stay with us.

ecarbajal@missioninn.com
(951) 341-6744

Reviewed May 12, 2011

We walked in without reservations on a Thursday night asking for a 2 night rate & they were happy to match qn expedia rate. The hotel & grounds are beautiful - rooms are comfortable & sparkly clean. The staff was very pleasant - all in all a great stay. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed April 21, 2011

We were encouraged to book a room at this hotel because of a family event. It is a very old and historic hotel that is absolutely unique and beautiful to walk around and view. However, I believe that the landmark status and the steady stream of guests it brings has built complacency and neglect into the underachieving staff. (maid staff excluded, as the hotel is clean and to a person, they were friendly.)

Our first impression was not great, as the valet area is small and busy, therefore one would expect the valet to be adept at moving people through... ours either lacked the ability to communicate or chose not to and we found ourselves looking around, trying to figure out where to go, until a second, annoyed valet curtly directed us.

Our room had a lovely view of the pool and the busy street outside. The outside facing door presented a lovely Motel 6 vibe, as the curtains had to be pulled so that every passer by couldn't see in. The maid staff pulled on our door at 8:30 p.m. Why?

The pool was a bit grubby, which made it stand out from the rest of the place. There are very few chairs because inexplicably, there is a gym area at the pool side. I didn't see a single person use it, but I did see several people sitting on towels at pool side due to the lack of chairs. Two large families occupied 80% of the chairs while they ate lunch, brought in from an outside restaurant, and I didn't see a single person use the pool except for the 8 yr old who was encouraged to put her hands in the water to wash off lunch. I know the hotel can't be responsible for the lack of ethics or hygiene of their guests, but it was just gross and contributed to the Motel 6 vibe mentioned earlier.

We were staying for two nights, but another family member was only staying for one, and their room was much nicer. (Large and inside facing door, so windows could be left open) So we agreed to swap the next day, and we moved our luggage into their room. However, over brunch they decided to stay another night. After a day out and dinner, we attempted to move back into our room, only to find it was occupied by someone else. The hotel had checked me out of my room without asking if I'd actually left. They had two phone numbers and an email address, but chose not to use them. My wife was in the hallway pulling the door and sitting on luggage like a vagabond until I informed her that someone else was in the room. I was later told it was for my benefit so I wouldn't get charged another night if I'd actually left. I don't know what type of cretin leaves a hotel without checking out, or at least calling, but I never have.

Not to worry however, as they upgraded us to a better room, which was in the oldest and prettiest part of the hotel. However this upgraded room had a bed that was smaller than the one we booked and was little more than a bag of springs, wrapped in plastic bag. The best part of our upgrade was the air conditioning unit which presented itself with a VERY loud double banging sound every 45 minutes.

For all of this trouble and inconvenience I was offered a free upgrade the next time I stayed. Thanks, but there will never be a next time... If you are in Riverside I highly recommend walking around the place and looking at it, and then staying at a hotel with a staff that gives a damn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Wumpy
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry that you had such a negative experience with us as I will be sure to address all of the concerns you brought to our attention. This is not the experience we want any of our guests to have and I am sorry that you did. I am pleased to hear tha the maid staff was friendly. We will be sure to commend them for this. We do hope that you give us another opportunity in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly to arrange an future reservation and I will see to it that you have a memorable experience.

The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa
ecarbajal@missioninn.com
(951) 341-6744

Reviewed April 19, 2011

Great Hotel. Excellent Staff. Very clean rooms. Many restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for the Glenwood King room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
MIDORD, Manager at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate it and hope to have you as our guest many more times in the future.

Director of Rooms