See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Looks can be deceiving. Clean and quiet on the outside and well maintained yard area. The first clue for our stay should have been the scent of the office. The smell of cat urine. If we hadn't been driving all day we would have gone some place else. The cleanliness of the rooms was very unacceptable. When we first entered the room, it didn't feel or smell as bad as the office. That was until it became shower time. Completely gross. Maybe a new cleaning staff or possible management???
The plus side, we had a great weekend at the families but, will not be staying here again.
Plus no phone in room nor internet access.

Room Tip: La Quinta off Richards Blvd in Sacramento just off the river. Less $$$ and much much cleaner
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jack G
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Room (#4) was clean, bed (king) very comfortable for us. We started out in #5, but upstairs had small, active, yippy/squalling (I kid you not!) dogs that got yelled at over blaring TV. We are fairly tolerant, but this just wasn't going to work. The young couple managing the place didn't give any trouble when we asked to be moved.

Plumbing behaves like older hotels often do. Shower mix difficult to control, hot water took forever to arrive, and someone else tapping into the system made the water temp surge toward too hot immediately. Toilet was veeeery low rider, almost more fit to kids than adults.

It was raining over night, and we got shocked awake at 2AM by what sounded like a gong. It took us about 10 sec to figure out "what the hell...??!!". Seems the 2nd floor walkway was in need of having rain water swept off over the edge for whatever reason. What we were hearing was the metal gurad rail being struck by whatever the sweeping device was. VERY obnoxious, and we are sure the whole place was soon awake.

There was some traffic noise, but we are fairly used to that, so it wasn't a problem for us.

Suggestions: Space out guests if you can with some consideration to noise making potential, and for the love of God, don't hit the guard rail when sweeping water off the upper deck!!!

Overall, it was an OK place to stay. Certainly gave us tales to tell about how we were spending our 6th anniversary in the area!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

My wife &I stayed in room 6,our frends were in rooms 5&3. Room 6 water closet was completely out of service. our friends in room 3 water closet was dangerous because it was not bolted down properly. We had to pay for ice and there were no other services.
We tried to contact management but there was no one around to contact. We enjoyed the town of Rio Vista and had some wonderful meals at the surrounding resturants. This hotel was not acceptable by no means. We would not recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank monicaharley
Riosandslodge, Manager at Rio Sands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

We apologize for any discomfort you had. The front desk was unaware of any problems with the toilets, and both toilets have been replaced since your stay on Saturday. Also, While the Ice machine does take quarters to run, the tray to collect quarters has been removed, allowing you your quarter back.

That night/morning the front desk was open until 11 PM and re-opened at 8 AM with our manager and housekeeping staff sitting outside and our phone number posted on the door. We're sorry you never notified us during your stay so that we could have attempted to fix your issues.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Clean room overall. Problem was a rattle that probably was due to the winds; something on the roof or side of the building was intermittently rattleing/squeaking. I called the front desk about it and he got me a different room. But the new room had the exact same noise!! And it couldn't be drowned out by the AC cause the AC was very loud (so loud I couldn't sleep). Another call to the front office was not answered. Another call to the front office about 2 hours later was also not answered. I ended up sleeping in my car...

Hard to believe they have never had a complaint about the rattle/squeak before. This motel is in Rio Vista; wind power central, kiteboard/windsurf mecca.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2009

First let me clarify the previous post, the owners are not the young couple. Their mom is the owner. HWY noise can be drowned out by running the AC. I was there for a few days along with other people, so we had a few rooms. I only had the opportunity to see two rooms. The young couple and staff were friendly and helpful. However, the owner can be short and slightly past the boarder of rude.

Our room was nice, well put together (items matched) and equipped with microwave; small fridge and full size coffee pot (not the normal 4 cup). What I didn’t like about our room was the carpet had some stains and the shower. No tub and the shower head points at the door so setting the water temperature and entering/exiting the shower is a challenge. Also, some of the tiles are cracked. The cleaning crew didn’t clean up as well as I expected. There were coffee marks from coffee cups/stirrers on the table from the morning that remained in the afternoon.

They may have several rooms that are nice; at least that’s what it looks like on the website. But the other room I was able to see wasn’t nice. The top of the wall was white and the bottom was deep bright blue. There wasn’t a border or chair rail tying it together so it was not nice to look at. The bedspreads were very bold and the pictures didn’t seem to pull in the blue either. It looked more like a child’s room that wasn’t finished.

Overall, I don't think its a bad place for a traveler to stay and you can tell that they are working on the place. I would give it 2.5 start, but I don't think Rio Vista has too many options.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business