“Nice hotel at a reasonable rate.”

Best Western China Lake Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Ridgecrest
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Nice hotel for business or overnight family stays. Room is small but clean, comfortable, and quite. Good breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, and basic amenities. Very good value for Ridgecrest.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western China Lake Inn

Reviewed September 3, 2010

Exceed our expectations .. The room was very clean and the front desk staff very friendly.
breakfast was ok with pancakes , eggs etc .. There is free internet & printer in the lobby. We spent a relaxing afternoon at the pool before going to visit the Trona Pinnacles (if you go to trona do it early morning or late afternoon because it's very hot).
If we ever go to Ridgecrest again we will definitely stay at this BW :-)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank buf04
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Friendly front desk staff at this motel. Our room and the inn were clean. The room was rather small but adequate for an overnight stay.
Fairly average BW in terms of decor
We stayed on a Sunday evening and found it difficult to get a local restaurant for dinner other than chain or fast food options.
Standard continental breakfast.
Free internet is available but a cable is required which can be provided by the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuckyMe63
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Had a stopover there on my way from the California coast to Death Valley national park. It is an overaverage Best Western standard hotel with large rooms in walking distance to that one could call downtown Ridgecrest. The staff was very friendly, the rate ok at around 70 bucks. Breakfast room quite small but acceptable with hot selections. Nice pool and very quiet. It makes you feel at home even you are in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank tfrka
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Hotel was excellent! Room was huge and had several upgrades (flat screen TV with easy clean remote, eco-friendly lightbulbs, nice beds). The wireless internet was VERY dogdey but I was able to plug my laptop into the ethernet, and it was fine. Free breakfast was great with waffle bar. Allowed dogs with $25.00 fee. Hotel was super clean and looked fairly new. Overall, it's a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingMarine
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western for one week while my husband worked in the area. The staff was courteous, friendly and happy. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The housekeeping checked with us daily to fill our needs. The breakfast was terrific with many options, which was definitely a plus with the children. We had a great stay and would choose this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank klowmc
Reviewed February 2, 2010

Stayed here on business. The town has no full service hotels, my usual choice for business travel, so I picked this one based on previous tripadvisor reports. I agree with others that the beds are one of the high points - very comfortable new mattresses the kind you just sink into when you get into bed. Carpet is relatively new, not worn, brown checked print matching drapes. Very nice decor for the business traveler.

I reserved the king jacuzzi suite which was not listed on the internet booking page but I was able to get by calling the hotel directly. I highly recommend this particular room it is in the corner on the first floor and is one of the only rooms in the complex that does not have a window facing the parking lot. Rather the window faces the back of the hotel which is much quieter. Room comes with microwave and minifridge. The jacuzzi is definitely the high point of the room. It's a corner jacuzzi that "looks" like it is for two but it's actually a fairly small tub. I can not stretch out in it like I can in my 5'5" oval tub at home. Still it is a jacuzzi and it was clean and the jets worked just fine. Plenty of hot water, it can be too hot to be careful not to burn yourself with the water. Tub has grab bars which make getting in/out easy. I hopped in the first day after a long drive from LA,
the second day I was back in the tub after a very long day working on the base. Both times this tub was the high point of my day.

I booked at the AAA rate so I got a discount on the tub, more like the regular room rate.
I had a couple of smaller issues with the room - the toilet was a bit slow but they sent a maintenance guy right away who ran a snake down it. My TV was snowy on CBS and another channel. I reported it this morning and it is still not fixed, but likely they have to call the cable company. The other channels mostly come in fine.

The front desk people are very friendly and helpful. They gave me a computer ethernet cable so I could use the free internet (wired). My only issue with front desk is that they are all smokers and I often see them outside the building smoking which means they are not always answer the phones. If I'm on site not a big deal because the complex is small so I can just go out and try to find them. But if I were calling from another location I would be annoyed that no one picks up the phone. Twice I tried them from my room and no one picked up - when I looked outside they were all there smoking. There seem to be quite a lot of smokers here - the staff were congregating upstairs on the balcony smoking at 5pm when I got back. It does not bother me they smoke outside, I just noticed that it seems like everyone is out there smoking, for such a small complex. But as I said I do not even smell it so it is more of a visual thing rather than an odor problem. Also as I said my window opens to the back so I don't get any smells from the parking lot or balcony in my room. And again I'm used to full service hotels so maybe this is par for the course for a motel-type property.

Breakfast is great if you like starch. They had two waffle irons for "make your own" waffles. I had one and it was excellent. They had biscuits and gravy and bagels/bread/toast and cold cereal. The only protein that I saw was the hard boiled eggs. No bacon/eggs, no yogurt, no fresh fruit. So if you are happy with just cereal or a waffle or the biscuits, then you will be fine. But if you prefer a healthier breakfast with yogurt or fruit or granola, you should plan to buy it yourself and use your minifridge (there is a riteaid just up the street north on the main drag) and don't forget the spoon,
or you can go to Denny's up the street for a full sit down breakfast.

The room is noisier than a typical full service hotel because you are right on the outside and can hear through the walls and floors, but basically these are business travelers going to the base so everyone mostly shuts down at 9-10pm and is up again by 7-8am.
I would likely stay here again if I am coming back to China Lake/Ridgecrest, or possibly check out the new Hampton Inn which will be giving Hilton points, once it opens.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business