Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall
$99
Priceline
$127
Priceline
Hotel Mira Vista(El Cerrito)
$122
Hotel Mac(Point Richmond)
$228
$175
Hotels.com
All reviewseast baylong term stayother hotels in the areashort stayfull kitchenkitchenettefreewaysf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My main complaint is that our non smoking room reeked of smoke and room freshener. The room was obviously a smoking room and the management tried to mask the odor. In fact the whole 3rd floor corridor smelled of cigarette smoke. Overall the room and bathroom was clean but bring your own shampoo. They only provide soap. There were no sheers on the windows so you have to leave the curtains open to let light in. We did not use the kitchen but the stove and refrigerator would be handy for families on a longer stay. The refrigerator was noisy. This might disturb some people but my husband likes to have white noise when he sleeps. The breakfast was instant oatmeal, some danish, apples and oranges, tea and coffee. We did not venture into the Richmond neighborhood the 2 times we stayed here and were told by friends that it was the worst crime city in the bay area. But the immediate vicinity around the hotel looked safe and was surrounded by new condos, a restaurant and a marriot courtyard hotel. The hotel staff was friendly when we checked in.

Room Tip: Double check if you need a non-smoking room. I don't know if they actually have designated rooms that they never put smokers in.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellinmum
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our friendly staff and the level of cleanliness throughout our hotel; however, we apologize that your room had a smoke odor that was not properly addressed and that the refrigerator was noisy. In response to your feedback, I am working with housekeeping to eliminate the odor and our maintenance staff to repair the refrigerator .

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sfr@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

First I would like to say, under no certain terms, have I anything poor to say in regards to this location. The staff takes their jobs very seriously, and were a joy to deal with.
We had previously scheduled reservations, and arrived according to our plans, to find that the hotel was not prepared for us, due to some network/phone complications, and the staff did not let this affect the fashion in which they dealt with us. they were quick to resolve the concern, making sure to provide each and every member of my staff with a clean and accommodating room. The manager was friendly, up beat and very pleasant, and made the experience enjoyable.
I can say that I felt very welcome, and at numerous times throughout the stay, the staff went above and beyond the norm, to make me feel so.
The hotel was clean, and in great working order, leaving nothing to be desired by my staff, considering the nature of our trip. We will definitely keep this location in mind if ever there is a need to return to this area again. KUDOS!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our team was able to make your check-in efficient and make you feel welcome. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Having grown up in nearby Hercules, I was actually surprised and delighted to find a fairly decent budget hotel near my hometown where we're limited to non-branded "no-tell motels". When recently visiting family as an adult (on the tail end of a business trip), I hardly wanted to stay at The Gables, where as a kid was a place of ill-repute - and awesome pre-drinking age parties! So Extended Stay America was a nice, welcome find. I've stayed at all levels of hotels and for 1- star, it's alright! Decent kitchen, bed, bath. Aside from the guy in his boxer shorts frying up some eggs with his door open and the other various cooked (ethnic?) foods wafting down the hall, I felt safe and secure as a single traveling woman. I had to smile at the receptionist with the big yellow hoop earrings and bedazzled fingernails...well, I guess that's the local flavor of these parts. I appreciated the free breakfast snacks in the lobby - note that they are merely snacks and you'll want to seek more nutritious fare elsewhere - like in Berkeley ;-)

Room Tip: Higher floors and closer to the elevator - the halls are long.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am pleased to hear that you have found a quality budget hotel near where you wanted to be.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

It is with some trepidation that I approached this one-star win on Priceline.

The location is good. It is on the fringe of Hilltop Mall, a 70's shopping mall. It is between a gated condo complex and a Social Security Administration building, in a dead end street.

A problem arose immediately. They have no no-smoking room for me. What am I to do? I went up and checked the room. It was OK and I took the room.

The good: the room has a
microwave, a toaster, a full-size refrigerator, a coffee maker, dishes, range. It is clean, the bed is comfortable, there is excellent lighting, especially for reading in bed. Wi-fi is included but they try to upsell you with higher bandwidth.

The bad: there are
no hangers. The frig and AC are loud.

When I complained that the light in bathroom not working, it was fixed within 15 minutes.

The staff was helpful with directions.

The maid almost barged in. Apparently her list shows the room as vacant. 30 minutes later I was at the desk and when I identified myself, I received an apology.

Breakfast consisted of coffee (good), tea, hot chocolate, cellophane pastries, and fruit.

What do you expect for $39?

Can people advise on what to do when they have no no-smoking rooms. They have you over a barrel when you are pre-paid through Priceline.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank WWLL
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found our hotel good value for money.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Two couples and one dog traveling to a family get together stopped at the hotel at 10 a.m. and . both husbands went in to see if there were two rooms available for two nights. Talked to a very friendly clerk, who offered a king bed room on the second floor and a queen bed for the other couple which they reserved. When we returned in the evening for the keys, a different clerk said that the rooms were reserved for one person each room and that it would be five dollars more each room. We protested this, because each husband had reserved for his wife and him and there had been much discussion about family get togethers. The clerk finally said that she would give us the rate we had established. Then we were told that the king bed was not available and that we were put in a queen on lthe first room. We protested the first floor and were put on the second floor. Checking into the room, discovered that it hadn't been cleaned and were given another room. Getting into the bed, we discovered that the blanket only came to the edge of the bed, but at that point we gave up and struggled with staying covered all nightl. Next day we were given a king bed and discovered as we went to sleep that there was not blanket, only a bedspread. The breakfast consisted of coffee and a sweet roll in a cellaphane wrapping and some wilted apples-needless to say, we went out for breakfast. Never again will we stay at an Extended stay America. For a few dollars more we could have had a hairdryer, shampoo, a blanket, a breakfast and no bait and switch fees. Yes, the clerks were friendly and the manager tried to make things right, but in all the hotels that we have stayed in, we have never run into so many problems.

Room Tip: The king bed room had a larger size bathroom soap.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Chloe S
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. I will work with my front desk staff to ensure that they are quoting prices correctly and in the case where they did not, to honor your reserved rate.

I know how upsetting it was that you were not able to get the bed type you had booked and that the bedding was not up to standard. I am retraining staff on our low inventory of certain room types and replacing blankets that have shrunk during laundry process and to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your helpful critique. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sfr@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.