“Food better than expected but some quirks to the place”

Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 130 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed October 21, 2016

I had not been to Saigon for quite a number of years and at that visit was not impressed. This visit was with a table of 9 where we could have more dishes. We did not go with a set menu, rather just made selections from their menu. Saigon has easy access off the 880 freeway and has its own parking lot (more about that later). There are steps to the front door (would expect there is a ramp somewhere that meets ADA requirements) but there are no railings or any sort. The restaurant is essentially one big open long room with high ceilings, brightly lit, 3 large flat-screen TVs with live seafood and roast ducks along the south wall. Plenty of round tables for 10-12 people with a lot of smaller tables that comfortably seat 4. We were there at 6pm mid-week and were the 2nd or 2rd group in so service was quick. The wooden round table we sat at had a glass lazy susan but no tablecloth. The menu is extensive (dim sum menu is separate time service) but we had West Lake Minced Beef Soup, Honey Glazed Prawns with Walnuts, a tofu with bok choy dish, fried fish fillets, seafood fried rice (scallops and tiny shrimp), chicken chow fun, a chinese vegetable dish, lamb with radish claypot and a sizzling chicken platter. Every dish was tasty. The sizzling chicken platter could have used more chicken and the lamb claypot looked boring but the meat was so soft and delicious. The chow fun had too many bean sprouts but the fun noodles themselves had a nice smokey flavor from the wok. The West Lake Minced Beef Soup was much more substantial than other restaurants same soup. Prices are higher here than other places or what we're used to paying. As more groups filtered in it was 95% Chinese. What was on the TV screens that evening? The 3rd Trump-Clinton debate and Game 4 of Cubs-Dodgers. Service was attentive. Okay back to the parking lot. They have 2 gates, one marked with arrows to enter. The parking lot is a decent size. However when we exited the second gate does not open and you are forced down a narrow path back to the open gate. The other thing noticed is within one hour of eating we were quite thirsty; a probable sign of the use of MSG. We already know that many Asian cuisines are salty due to soy sauce or similar usage. We I come back? Sure because they have a lot of options but Saigon Seafood would not be my first choice for Chinese food.

Reviewed September 14, 2016

The room is more impressive than the food. The restaurant is large and looks like it would be a nice setting for a grand banquet of a wedding reception. The food was average and the suaces seemed heavy and it seemed like the same sauce was used on multiple dishes. The prices seemed high for the quality of food served.

1  Thank Bryan B
Reviewed July 26, 2016

Unassuming location interestingly tucked away as I found this place accidentally. There is parking (ADA access) yet get there before noon. My entrance to many folks enjoying seafood dishes and dim sum was greeted with a waiter seating me promptly. Clearly seeing I was new, a servier came by and explained their incredible menu. The food is excellent, the ample dim sum is delicious, and be choosy as there is LOTS to choose from. The serviers were so helpful when I pointed to unknown dim sum dishes. Upon leaving, thanked me for stopping by..and yes, I will be returning.

Reviewed July 22, 2016 via mobile

best Chinese seafoods and dim sum restaurant in the east bay. Service dim sum from open till 3pm and dinner after 5pm. Their home made tofu is the best!

Reviewed January 17, 2016 via mobile

A friend recommended this place for dim sum when I was staying in the Richmond area. It's right off of the freeway and next to a shopping plaza, so it's a pretty busy area. The service was pretty good and dim sum was good. It's not a bad place to check out if you're there and looking for a place for some dim sum.