Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond / San Francisco
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Budget Inn(El Cerrito)
  • Free Internet
Hotel Mira Vista(El Cerrito)
Freeway Motel(El Cerrito)
Berkeley Inn(Berkeley)
Marina Inn(Berkeley)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a two star hotel so we were not expecting the Ritz (and did not get it.) But our room was large (two double beds with room to walk around), clean and quiet. We were supplied with shampoo and conditioner and hair dryer. Our room had a little refrigerator--we didn't need it, but it was there. Down the walkway I saw a vending machine for candy or soda. The girl at the front desk was very nice.

The number one rated hotel in the area would have cost $150 and this cost $67. Need I say more? I don't think I'd like to stay here for a week, but it was perfect for a short stay. Richmond is not the Bay Area's nicest town and has a terrible reputation, tho;ugh it has some nice areas. The hotel is right off the freeway and in a decent looking residential area. There were a few seedy looking characters in the hotel parking lot, so I imagine that on a weekend you might have some of the problems mentioned by other reviewers, but we were there on a Thursday night and all was quiet and fine.

There's no coffee pot or breakfast room, and no restaurant within walking distance, so you have to have a car. But there are plenty of good places a short drive away. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet, perhaps because it was recessed and not right off the parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sharonov
ABVIRICHMOND, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond / San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Sharonov, thanks for the feedback. Our goal is to provide the best value without compromising quality. Our staff takes great pride in providing a clean and comfortable place to stay. In addition the amenities you mentioned, we are upgrading the rooms to add coffee maker and new bed covering in Jan 2012. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to write a review. We look forwarding to seeing you.

Best Regards,

Anil Kumar
Americas Best Value Inn Richmond Ca

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed last Friday and the place looks like it s meant for gang members. Yes the hotel is cheap but be wary that there are signs that say " Please lock your door". Yes the neighborhood looks like you are sleeping in the slums and you worry constantly if you car is going to get jacked. The room had to VERY VERY HARD BEDS and there is no give to the concrete floor. Its very hard. There is a window that seperates you from the counter clerk and I couldn't understand a word that she said. I will never come back because of the constant threat of gangs and being robbed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank karenkarenn

Hi Karen. Thanks for taking time out to post a review. We appreciate and welcome all feedback. I am disappointed you characterized the hotel as if it was meant for 'gang members.' I don't know what a gang member place looks like. I do know that even the most prestigious places usually have a sign that reminds guests to lock your car. Crime can occur anywhere. That said, we do take the safety and comfort of our guests seriously. During our last renovation, we replaced the beds in 50% of our rooms. We are planning on replacing the other 50% in 2012. As for security, we have not had any break in to any of our guest cars or have had property stolen from any of our guests in the 5 years that I have managed the hotel. Because of Richmond's reputation, we take added precaution in ensuring our guests safety is NEVER compromised. We have a great relationship with the city of Richmond and the officers assigned to our neighborhood beat. As a matter of routine, the police make at least one visit each night to serve as deterrent and to reassure the community. We also have 16 cameras that records all activity. You mentioned the constant threat of gangs and being robbed but you don't cite any specific incident or activity that would lead someone to think there is gang activity. I am sorry you felt different but respect your opinion. It's hurtful that you described the property as if it was meant for 'gang members.' I know of too many guests that would not agree with that description.

Best Regards,

Anil Kumar
GM - Americas Best Value Inn - Richmond Ca

Reviewed September 30, 2011

I was visiting my friends at San Francisco bay area for the last summer weekend. And I was looking for an affordable stay not too far away from San Francisco City. All the hotel properties in downtown SF were really expensive so I have to look out for something outside the city within the bay. I had couple of pleasant experiences with ABVI properties in California hence I decided to take a chance with ABVI Richmond. I was quite skeptical about the quality of rooms and services owing to the great prices they have. To my pleasant surprise my experience was extremely delightful. The rooms were clean and tidy, the housekeeping was prompt and good, the neighborhood was quite and the management staff was really helpful. Bed was clean, mattresses were of good quality, shower was clean. Upon request they also allowed me a late check out with no extra charge. Moreover its right of interstate 80 so is readily accesible. I liked this place so much that I decided to stay for couple more days and decided to comute 50 miles instead of trying a different hotel. Right now I am back in the bay area once again visiting a friend but regretfully the property was sold out so could not check into the same one again.

Bottom Line: Highly recommended if you are looking for a affordable accommodation with superior service and good quality rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Kalpesh B
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The room I stayed was clean... The sheets and pillows were comfortable as well as the bed... The bathroom was up to date and clean, with plenty of new towels... Air conditioning worked well. And, the room had two chairs with a desk... Plenty of hangers and a dresser... The bed was firm with extra padding... The staff was pleasant and were knowledgable of the area with suggestions for food around the area...

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 2, 2011

If price and location near Berkeley is most important this may be a good buy.

PLUSES: 1) Low daily price, 2) Just off I-80 and 8 blocks from San Pablo Ave, 3) Just north of Berkeley city line on San Pablo Ave, 3) Staff reasonably friendly and helpful 4) Good parking. 4) Mattresses firm and quite good for a budget motel.

MINUSES: 1) No amenities, coffee, fridge, microwave; 2) One bed side light permanently inoperative, 3) Ceiling fire alarm hanging, 4) Most rooms on noisy Carlson Blvd a freeway off-ramp road, 5) Only one hand towel for two people when we checked in;
BETTER CHOICE. SLIGHTLY MORE EXPENSIVE AND SOMETIMES FULL: Best Value Golden Bear Inn, Berkeley at San Pablo and Cedar Ave.

Room Tip: A room on the second level may be quieter
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple