“Dog Park and Bay Trail access”
Review of Point Isabel

Point Isabel
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Park, great for dog walking and windsurf launches.
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Point Isabel is a great off-leash dog park. Don't go if you expect to have a quite picnic lunch or sunset on a lawn....unless you want to share with lots of dogs. Don't wear white. Dogs have access to swim in SF Bay. Don't ruin it - Clean-up poop, and no digging. There is a cafe = food and drinks. Drought and budget cuts have turned off the water to irrigate the lawns = it's pretty much dirt now.
Great Bay Trail Access - is separated from dog park by fence = dogs on leash. ADA, paved, very flat, and runs along the bay.

There are newer reviews for Point Isabel

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our Zaza loves to meet and greed a lot of new friends, as well as our three years old, who will ask the dog's owner for permission to pet their pets!
Usually it is really windy, so it is good to bring a sweater or extra layer! The views are so gorgeous and it is a really nice walking and relaxing area.
We have not tried yet, the grooming shop, but it seems to be a nice place for dogs and the staff seems to be very friendly. We are planning to do our shopping at Costco (just around the corner) while waiting for our Zaza's bath at this place next time.
This place is definitively dog's approved it as dog's owner as well!

1  Thank KEZC29
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Though I don't have a dog to take to Pt. Isabel, my neighbor regularly takes hers there. Her dog loves to swim there though she is not a breed you would usually think of as a keen swimmer. I have seen the fun the dogs have there.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Took our dog to run around before going to Napa Valley for some wine tasting. Wide open area for the dog to run. We didn't really want her to get wet though, and we almost succeeded. It was hard to find water for the dog at first though. There was some over by the snack bar.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our pups (we had a total of 5 in our group) had a great time. The area is humongous, lots of Mutt Mitts for clean up, mostly in the sun, but there are some trees for shade. There are benches and picnic tables - though I don't recommend eating here. We went on Labor Day so there had to be at least a hundred dogs with their owners!

During our couple of hours there only two "fights" - one was ours (over a water bowl - sharing or lack there of) which was a "short-lived" territorial issue - we have medium-sized dogs and one male that feels he has to protect the gals. No major issues it was more a tussle than fight. The other was more vicious involving larger dogs, the owners had to pull them apart and one gal was knocked over in the process. I'm unaware of any real harm being done.

I expect with this many dogs, owners, etc. that there are going to be some "situations." I felt the ones I saw were handled quickly and owners were understanding. There really is so much room to roam that you can get away from the crowded areas. The one "big" fight was actually a leashed dog vs an unleashed. I have no idea if either dog had been before, etc.

You also need to know that the area is unfenced. If this makes you uncomfortable, you can follow the paved path onto an "island area" that will serve as a fence, plus that area is not as populated with people or dogs.

We had no issues with car vandalism but we were there on a very, very busy day and I'm sure it would have been hard to get away with that sort of thing, but many of the reviews I've seen on other sites did mention that you should NOT leave valuables in the car.

Oh, you might have issues with stickers and burrs. Our cockers have fluffy feet that do pick these things up like sticky candy! So, check their feet often at the part and after. There is a paved path, there're gravel pathways as well. So, again, check their feet! The water's edge is guarded by rocks most of the time, but there are little paths to/from the water here and there.

Enjoy! The dogs absolutely loved it,

PS: There are bathrooms, a Mudpuppy cafe (Tub and Scrub and Sit and Stay Cafe), Too cute. Did not get a chance to go inside, but good to know it's available if needed.

Been to Point Isabel? Share your experiences!