Review Highlights
Lovely and peaceful day at Kihnu

I always wanted to visit the smaller Estonian islands, so this travel was a real treat. We... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2019
acorna
Vilnius, Lithuania
Day trip

Took a day trip over leaving on the bus from Parnu (one euro!). Ferry was also cheap and hired a... read more

Reviewed August 19, 2019
Alan W
Dunfermline, United Kingdom

All reviews day trip smoked fish island life ferry lighthouse bike clothes museum
Selected filters
Reviewed August 29, 2017

Great island to explore by foot or bicycle. Quiet beaches with shallow water. Interesting museum, and lighthouse.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed September 16, 2016 via mobile

I visited Kihnu in the end of August with my mother's colleagues and their families. The nature is absolutely beautiful and reflects ethnic Estonia very well. Just get a bike and drive around- it's so small :) It will give you the chance to see the nature but at the same time you'll see beautiful gardens and houses. If you're lucky, you'll see people wearing ethnical clothes too ;)
Oh and the local bread is also very very tasty ;) But be ready for windy weathers and mosquitos! Also for locals offering to drink some alcohol with them :D
Only problem I had was with the mean locals. I think they were so tired of all the tourists this summer that they weren't very happy or welcoming with other Estonians (and that's probably because they thought we won't leave any tips).
It's a place where Estonians go to get some rest from their busy daily lives. So I tried to be very reasonable but people who live there throughout the year, just didn't want to be helpful. This kind of attitude just ruined my whole weekend and didn't give me the feeling I want to go back.

Date of experience: August 2016
2  Thank karinvoodla
Reviewed August 17, 2016 via mobile

Little island with one bar is place to go when your mind is overloaded and you have only few days to rest. Take bicycle (a lot of places where you can rent one) and go. It was rainings all time I was here but it wasn't a problem. Reccomend to have meel at Kurase bar and visit lighthouse. There is no need for car - island is only 7 km lenght so you can see all walking or going by bike. Very peacfull place.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed July 8, 2016

The best way to examine the island is bike ride. Bicycles can be rented from port. Enjoy the beautiful landscapes and villages.
Travel to the island leaves a good impression.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed January 17, 2016

Last summer I spent three weeks travelling from Vilnius to Tallinn, taking a pretty typical route. But one place I visited that might not be on many people's lists was Kihnu Island. I became interested in it after I read about its unique culture and colourful traditional weaving (I love weaving), so I was pretty excited when I realised that coming up from Riga I could get a bus to Parnu, take the ferry over to Kihnu and have a night on the island before continuing north to Saaremaa.

Looking at the ferry schedules I think it would be possible to visit Kihnu as a day trip (although be aware that public buses between Parnu and Munalaid don't match up with every sailing; I wanted to sail from Munalaid rather than Parnu, as the boat left earlier, but there just wasn't a bus to take me from Parnu to Munalaid). I was very glad I stayed overnight, but ideally you should aim for two nights so that you don't have to worry about missing the ferry. Also note that if you want to continue north to Saaremaa by public transport and you take the ferry back to Munalaid, you need to take a bus back to Parnu and catch a different bus from there to Saaremaa.

Visiting the main "sights" only requires a few hours by bike (I borrowed one from my guesthouse, but I think there's a place near the port that offers them too). The museum is small but surprisingly modern, and has a little shop that sells a good map of the island (the island's tiny, so you can't get that lost, but if you have a short amount of time it's useful to know exactly where you are). There's a church opposite the museum but it was closed when I visited. At the southern end of the island, the lighthouse shouldn't be missed; I don't like heights but it wasn't a scary climb. Heading back up I stopped at the souvenir shop - or shed, rather - marked on the map a little south of the port, where I was excited to find a length of the woven cloth for sale (it's normally made into skirts, which I have no use for; it's also not cheap, so if you love weaving make sure you have a wad of cash on you).

There are no other specific places to aim for - just enjoy cycling the quiet roads, hiking through the woods, taking photos of picturesque farmhouses and contemplating the windswept coastline. The island may not offer dramatic scenery but I found it beautiful. Here I should offer two disclaimers: firstly, I am British but live in Hong Kong, so this island offered both novelty (from my daily urban life) and nostalgia (for childhood holidays on British coasts). Also, the weather when I was there was utterly perfect; I imagine I would have found the place less enchanting in a chilly rainstorm. Still, I would highly recommend it as an insight into Estonian island life. If like me you love your guidebook's description of Saaremaa's secluded coastal wilderness but you can't drive, Kihnu is a much better option, because you're not reliant on infrequent buses to take you around.

Date of experience: July 2015