“Skip It”
Review of Suraj Indian Cuisine - CLOSED

Suraj Indian Cuisine
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband used to be a very picky eater. In the 5 years we've been together I have gotten him to branch out into a world class foodie. Indian cuisine was the last cuisine on his checklist. We were on vacation in the area from NY and we decided what better place to try it than in sunny CA? I've had Indian Food hundreds of times, it's one of my favorites so I knew immediately what to expect and was looking forward to seeing him enjoy it. We ordered Mango Lassi which was delicious (as it is everywhere) and from there it went downhill. We got Spinach Pakora to start out. It was so-so. He wasn't terribly impressed and I could blame him but I hoped that the entreés would wow him. I hyped up the tandoori oven method of cooking and we ordered Tandoori Chicken for him and Boti Kabob for me. The Chicken was moist and nice, nothing to jump up and down over, but average tandoori chicken. The Boti kabobs were dried up hard balls of lamb. That was so disappointing. I informed our waiter, who was nothing hit surly and dry the whole time, and he told me they were supposed to be like that. They were literally so hard I could hot them on my plate and it would make a clanging noise. I'm not an expert at Indian cooking but that's bot normal. I let him know if that was the case that I didn't want that dish. He took it away without asking if I wanted a replacement so I just nibbled off my husbands plate. I still had to pay 1/2 price for the failed dish which was annoying but at least I didn't have to eat it. Needless to say my husband was not impressed and now is apprehensive about trying Indian in the future. From what I've read in other reviews this place is hit and miss. Definitely a miss here.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We got takeout, a range of items from the menu, for just $30. It was filling and satisfying, not the best quality but pretty good. The guy at reception needs help with his people skills, was very abrupt, would not tell me when my food was ready, seemed annoyed that I would even ask.

1  Thank vcabq
Reviewed July 30, 2008

tasty Indian food. good buffet (and yes, kid friendly)

Redwood City, California
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Good food, but more variety would be nice.

Belmont, California
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Wonderful Indian Buffet. Free beer on Fridays. I love the Tandori Chicken here. Would get 5 stars if the food was more consistant. Quality can vary from day to day.