“Good place for an upscale dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of John Bentley's

John Bentley's
Reserve with OpenTable
John Bentley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 282 Restaurants in Redwood City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Selby Ln.
Transit: AC Transit
Redwood City, California
“Good place for an upscale dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had driven by the restaurant several times and was very pleased with our experience. The entree's were cooked to perfection and the service was impecible. Really liked the bar set up. City is lacking in a place to meet for business meetings and this will be a new choice. Very pleased.

Visited June 2012

Redwood City, California
“Snobby and Treated Badly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the El Camino, Redwood City location I'm reviewing. We'd heard great things about JB's so decided to give it a try. My husband and I arrived at 5:35 pm on a weekday. There were no customers there. We were asked if we had reservations; no we did not. We were told there was a large group expected at 6:30 and they would not be able to accommodate us. I said, "Well, that is 55 minutes from now, we can order something that doesn't take long to prepare, even just some appetizers and be out long before the group is set to arrive." She said no, maybe if we had made reservations, but "maybe come back some other time." Did I mention there was NO ONE THERE! My answer to her was, "Not in this lifetime." Good customer service and goodwill should dictate that you cater to the customer to the very best degree you can. We would have even sat at the bar (also empty) to eat. I just felt like she was looking down her nose at us. I had just gotten off of work, so we both were dressed nicely. Apparently we weren't important enough to eat there. So obviously I can't speak to the food, but I won't go back - ever! We left and went next door to Chantilly. Always wonderful food, service and they make you feel welcome, even in jeans.

San Francisco
“Definitely not worth a detour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I don't understand how this restaurant gets such great reviews. Contemporary cuisine it is not, it's much more of a meat and potatoes type of place.
Very standard American fare, with few choices for vegetarians, we won't be going back.
The ambience is dark and there is really nothing crisp or contemporary about it. We were really disappointed because we trust tripadvisor so much and there were so many positive reviews here. I would recommend going down to the Middlefield road restaurant Donato where you might get a more authentic dining experience.

• Visited June 2011
USA
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

We have been going to John Bentley's for years. The food is great, and the service is always professional & friendly. For lunch, I love the Chinese Chicken Salad - light but filling. For dinner, the grilled quail & fois gras starters are delicious. The scallops are really good, and they used to have a rack of lamb that was my favorite. I really wish they'd bring it back! The only negative is that portions in the fish dishes could be little more generous; they tend to be on the small side. For dessert, the Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake is a must!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank trvlquestions
Redwood City, California
“If you want something special,and not too pricey,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

The food was excellent, the service was good, and the choices on the menu was very good. 6 of my friends got the veal cannelloni, and all 6 liked it, , the Chinese chicken salad was good also.

• Visited April 2012