“Yes the staff is very nice, but otherwise...”

Atherton Park Inn & Suites Redwood City
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
Moorpark, California
“Yes the staff is very nice, but otherwise...”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

When I saw the other reviews I had to double-check the address to be sure it was the same hotel. Yes, full credit to the staff. Otherwise...

True, it's 10 minutes or so from Stanford University. I was visiting a business in Palo Alto and my GPS got completely confused (which others told me is not unusual, so go with good directions.) El Camino Real is a very busy street with heavy traffic pretty much all day and no shortage of signals. At this time there's also road construction, so driving is not a pleasant experience.

The hotel is motel-style, with all rooms opening to outside corridors. It made me nervous about leaving my blackout curtains open, with people walking past my front window. It is however surprisingly quiet. The workspace is pretty good. Internet is free, fast and reliable though it forces you to log on every time. The small fridge and microwave tucked into a corner are very useful.

The bathroom has a shower and toilet area separate from the vanity. It closes with a heavy door and I found it a little claustrophobic. Bathroom amenities include soap, shampoo. conditioner, lotion, and bath gel.

The breakfast includes a good assortment of hot options as well as the famous cinnamon rolls. Oatmeal is instant and the only fruit is bananas. Coffee and granola bars are always available.

The fitness center is the lowlight of the facility, badly in need of updating with two ancient treadmills and a couple of rickety weight machines, barely usable.

The area is run down, though it feels perfectly safe. I found dining options quite scarce unless you want to brave the traffic on El Camino Real again. There is a "room service" delivery menu. I ended up buying food at the Target down the street.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DebbiesOnTheRoad
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Atherton Park Inn & Suites Redwood City, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear DebbiesOnTheRoad,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortfall you have experienced. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Memphis,TN
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Had a Business trip for a few days in Redwood City and this Hotel fit the bill perfectly - Convenient, decent sized rooms, wif-fi ,breakfast, parking etc. Staff was very helpful with recommendations for sightseeing/restaurants etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Montana
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at this hotel which is very near our son and his family. It was very clean and had a great breakfast. Only downside was ice machine was broke and lights on the balcony at night which shine in the window but despite that wee will surely stay here again. Restaurants and shopping are close by and not far to Stanford and Stanford Mall.

Room Tip: Away from the street as it is a little busy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MontanaVacation1
Herndon, VA
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I never thought I would say that a hotel was a "bargain" at $200 a night, but considering the location (Redwood City near Palo Alto), I guess this hotel fits the bill - at least when compared to the $500 "business" rate at the Four Seasons where my business meeting was.

So short and sweet is is the pros and cons of this place:

PROS
- Good for business travelers - free WiFi, simple breakfast, newspaper - a lot like Hampton Inn; makes me cringe that the Four Seasons charges $15 for WiFi on TOP of $500 a night
- Nice clean room, desk space, plugs, lighting, flat screen TV, towels not paper thin; full set of toiletries (shampoo, soap, etc.)
- Room had a little "welcome" packet with water, popcorn for microwave, candy and granola bar; probably a personal touch from the franchise owner and not a standard a HIE
- A short distance from Palo Alto (for anyone visiting Stanford or nearby business), generally for less money
- only 30 minutes from SFO during non rush-hour peak

CONS
- Walls a THINNER than paper thin - room next door had a snorer and it sounded like he was in the room
- Motel style exterior entrance to rooms vs. central hallway - tends to make street noise and hallway noise more apparent
- Not much in the way of dining in short walking distance; there is another HIE closer in to Redwood City central with food and grocery within walking distance; though it did not look as nice as this HIE
- For $200, though it may be relatively cheap for the area, I'm expecting an environment closer to Marriott Courtyard or Hyatt Place vs. Hampton Inn; cheaper but still not a great value

Bottom line, would I stay here again? Probably if I had to but might consider one closer into Redwood City or Palo Alto vs. in between.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Atherton Park Inn & Suites Redwood City, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear daddy00,

Thank you for your considerate review. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We understand the importance of a good nights sleep and I am sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay with us.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Singapore
Reviewed February 19, 2013

About 5 mins drive away from 101 in a nice quiet location (even though it's along El Camino Real) with many dining places around. Room is clean and spacious. Bed is very comfortable. 10 mins to Stanford Shopping Centre, 2-3 mins away from other malls.

They used to have a recreation room with a large jacuzzi and steam room but it has been unavailable for a while, a long while it seems. I hope they bring it back soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here and found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and well appointed. And the complimentary water bottle and treat bag accentuated the friendly atmosphere. The breakfast buffet included eggs and fresh, hot pancakes. I would definitely recommend this Inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Paso Robles, California, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was expecting the usual "bland" experience that I have had in the past with "chain" lodges. I am happy to report that is was pleasant surprise!
The staff was very friendly and accommodating not the usual "indifferent" service. The rooms were VERY clean, which is usually an area of concern for me. The room was large with a sofa, and a working desk for my computer. Nice appointments and good linens and fabrics, not the usual "cheap" furnishings. The lighting was great, not the usual florescent overheads. It was quiet and I spelt great. There were nice amenities in the room, and the complimentary breakfast was very nice. Plenty of different options for all tastes, and awesome cinnamon rolls!
This was very good value for the price! I will definately stay here again!

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo