“Mexican Food that is Familiar but exciting with Unique Flavors”

La Viga Seafood & Cocina Mexicana
Reserve a Table
Thu, 7/18
8:00 PM
OR
Ranked #9 of 319 Restaurants in Redwood City
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Over five years ago, the idea of La Viga Seafood & Cocina Mexicana was conceived by answering a simple question: Could we create a dining experience that would be something both familiar and exciting for our community and fellow food explorers? The answer is infinitely more complex than the question, but we’re so glad we invested the time to do it because we discovered was a huge opportunity to innovate and create in ways not yet seen. Our mission is for our guests to enjoy life while dining with us. To achieve this, we foster a vibrant and relaxed environment where you’re able to enjoy your special time with your friends, family, and peers; experience surprisingly delicious flavor profiles and dishes; and receive personalized and professional service from an engaged and knowledgeable staff. Settle in and enjoy a well-developed selection of vibrant tacos, ceviches, tapas, entrees, and cocktails, experienced with the special people in your life and our community.
Reviewed June 12, 2019

La Viga is not your traditional Mexican restaurant. It blends Mexican dishes with fresh seafood and creates unique flavor combinations. It is situated at one end of Broadway and we usually get to it via Whipple rather than go through busy Redwood City downtown. The restaurant is nicely decorated with high ceilings and decent spacing between tables. Parking can be a little difficult but doable.

We came as a group of 4. We got healthy helpings of tortilla chips with their special sauce that was spicy and delicious. We started with 2 ceviche dishes. A Camaron that had did not skimp on shrimps and a pescado. Both had totally different taste profiles but were delicious with a sweat and tart flavors and a little kick. We also ordered several tapas, the Cochinita, Salmon and Pescado. They were just the right size and were flavorful and fresh.

For the main dish, I had the Mariscada, which had the overall appearance of a paella but not as wet. It was really good and I cleaned my plate. My wife got the cochinta Pibil which was yucatan style natural braised pork cooked with creamy plantain rice, homemade corn tortillas, queso fresco and several other items. I love pork so I helped my wife eat her dinner as well. Quantities were quite large and the overall food was fresh, well made, tasty and made a really nice dinner.

I should also mentioned that we order a sangria that had lots of fruit and healthy dose of alcohol which I think may have been brandy but it went very well with the dinner. We ended it all with their famous churros stuffed with bavarian cream & chocolate sauce, and a bread pudding that was moist but not too sweat.

Overall an outstanding meal in a nice restaurant. This was not inexpensive but definitely worth it. However, you better make a reservation as there was quite a crown gathered outside waiting for a table while we ate.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 25, 2019

La Viga began life as kind of an upscale taqueria. They still have picnic benches and tables; you still sit with strangers at a large table if things are crowded; the food is still excellent. Surprisingly, they do not have a Mexican beer on tap. And not so surprisingly, it has now become a pricey restaurant. Picnic tables and expensive food (almost at the level of the excellent sister restaurant, LV Mar)?! I think we will go to LV Mar in the future with its better selections of beverage and food and a comfy, cozy environment.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 20, 2019

Our son took my wife and me for lunch to celebrate Mother's Day. It is a warm and cozy place to dine in. The service was good, the food was nice and we had great company! We loved the ceviche.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 4, 2019

I was early for lunch and there were hardly any people in the restaurant. We ordered chicken enchiladas and shrimp quesadillas--they were delicious! And by the time we left, it was full with everyone enjoying delicious Mexican food. Service was excellent and prices are reasonable--we'll be back!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 13, 2019

While you can find all your favorite menu items here exceptionally well prepared with care from fresh ingredients, the fish that I had here was really fantastic, the Pescado Zarandeado is really excellent, and for a great pork dish Cochinita Pibil will not disappoint.

Date of visit: February 2019