“Not recommended for a short business stay”

TownePlace Suites Redwood City Redwood Shores
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
“Not recommended for a short business stay”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

At first sight, the hotel looked good, but it's not suitable for a business trip. I stayed there for 4 days and I would not go there ever again.

Breakfast was terrible (it makes the Ibis hotel seem like a 5*): bad coffee, cold boiled eggs in plastic bags.. The only thing I could eventually eat in the morning were some cereal (I just ate them like snacks) and bananas. There is no restaurant at the hotel. This hotel is intended for long term stays and for people who want to cook for themselves in the room (there is a kitchen in the room), not for people who would like to stay for a week and enjoy a decent meal at the hotel restaurant.

The bathroom was not so clean or well maintained. The shower products were not such good quality.

The walls are so thin and crappy that you hear everything that is going on around you. It was good I was still jet-lagged and so I could fall asleep immediately in almost any condition.

After deciding to check out one day earlier (as I couldn't stand it anymore) I was informed that I had to pay an extra charge per day which brought the final invoice to the same value of the initially planned stay (they just charged one day extra). I was happy to pay and leave.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Monica Ioana B
TPS-Redwood_City, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Redwood City Redwood Shores, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Hello Ms. Ioana B.,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. While I would certainly rather hear that you enjoyed your stay, we definitely appreciate hearing about any disappointments as well, so we may strive to improve our guest experience.

I understand that you were disappointed with our breakfast, and that we do not have a restaurant. You are correct, in that our brand was designed to offer more residential style accommodations for extended-stay travelers (i.e. a kitchen in each room so guests may do their own cooking versus offering a restaurant). With that in mind, our breakfast offering is admittedly limited; cereals, hard boiled eggs, Greek and regular yogurts, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, apples, bananas, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, juices, etc.

You mentioned that your bathroom was not cleaned or maintained well, so I would definitely like to review the matter with the appropriate staff but could not find a reservation with your name in our records. May I ask if your reservation was under another name or if you could tell me your arrival/departure dates and what your room number was?

I regret that you did not enjoy the Paul Mitchell bath amenities. I would be happy to pass on any suggestions you may have for alternate products to our brand leaders.

I am very sorry you were able to hear excessive noise from other guests. If given the opportunity to serve you again as our guest, I will do my best to provide a top floor room to eliminate noise from anyone above as well a room in a more quiet location (i.e. end of hallway, corner room) to minimize noise from guests beside you.

Lastly, regarding the early departure and applicable rate change... our rates are discounted based on length of stay (i.e. 1-4 nights, 5-11 nights, 12-29 nights and 30+ nights). So while it is true that shortening one’s length of stay may result in a higher nightly rate to reflect the actual length of stay, I would be happy to review your account just to be certain that any adjustments were done correctly.

As I mentioned, if given the opportunity to serve you again I will do my best to ensure a better experience and would be happy to have you contact me directly so I may personally assist with your accommodations.

At the same time, I realize we may not be the hotel best suited to meet your needs, as we do not have a restaurant for example. Thankfully, Marriott does offer a variety of hotel brands designed to meet the needs of different types of travelers. So if TownePlace Suites is not your hotel of choice, I hope we may be able to serve you at another Marriott property the next time your travels bring you to Redwood Shores.

Bridgette C. Burns
bridgette.burns@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Delta, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The front desk staff seemed disinterested in his job. I requested a hotel on an upper level, but was given a room on the ground floor. When I asked if it could be changed, he said no they were full up. I know that people checked in after we did.

This is is an older hotel that has been remodeled. Some of the décor is out-dated, for example the carpeting is red and gold pattern, but the walls were painted a soft yellow and green. (Think about 1955) That said, everything appeared to be clean. The kitchenette had apartment sized appliances which we found convenient. (fridge, dishwasher, stove, microwave.) There were four of everything in the cupboards and drawers (i.e. plates, cutlery, etc.) There were lots of cupboards and drawers for storing our things. The desk was well-lit, but I found the chair a little uncomfortable. (Probably because it was designed for a taller man and I am a petite lady.)

I found the bed to be rather uncomfortable. It is much too soft and should be replaced!

All in all...this place was okay. I've slept in worse hotels, but it still wasn't my favourite place to stay. If you are looking for clean and relatively inexpensive, this suits the bill okay. Just don't expect anything fancy or a warm welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floor, but no guarantees that you will get it. We didn't.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

A fine place to stay. Very clean. Friendly staff. Felt very safe. Had a standard room but it was a good size. Nice breakfast -self service but fine to get going. Beds very comfortable. Very nice walk behind the hotel. Walking distance to some restaurants. A better than average place to stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We recently completed our 70 day winter stay (December through mid-February 2013) at this TownePlace Suites. We enjoyed every day there. The manager, Bridgette Burns, was outstanding and every staff member was friendly, courteous and responsive to all of our wishes. In particular, the front desk personnel Derek, Wendy and Robert all went out of their way to make sure we were happy. They also made excellent recommendations of nearby restaurants and Wendy told us about a park in San Carlos which our grandchildren absolutely loved. She also made sure to save us some of the delicious cookies that are provided every afternoon when we came back late. Emily, who maintained the breakfast area, also did a wonderful job and was a delight to talk with. The rooms were bright and clean and completely met our expectations. The location is wonderful. As other reviewers have noted, the walking path behind the hotel is great and I loved walking on it almost every day. (I never did get to the end of it because it stretches for miles.) It is also great for biking if you have access to a bicycle. The rates for this hotel are reasonable and parking (in a large, well lighted lot) is free. We wish that every hotel could be as nice as this one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EDC310
Sonora, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Spectacular sunrises! Beautiful location and first-class management! Bridgette Burns is the best of all the Marriott Manager's I've met. Very kind and helpful. Very considerate that I was in town again for my Grandmother's funeral. I love the path behind this hotel! I love the rooms, especially the two bedroom because when I wake up in one of those rooms, the view out the window was like a postcard, day and night. An all-around great hotel I wish they had hot food, but it's ok because the wonderful Sky Kitchen is right nearby with a good hot breakfast. This hotel is comparable to the Oyster Point Millbrae Residence Inn, but the prices are more reasonable. Redwood Shores is wonderful on its own, this hotel makes it nice to come home to. I visit there often and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask to face the Steinberger Slough for the beautiful sunrises, filled with all kinds of b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ICUBNice
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed here in January 2014 for four nights for a work trip. The hotel is a little dated but perfectly fine, it was clean and well maintained. The only downside was that the ceiling seemed a little thin, as at times I could hear the people above walking back and forth in their room. The staff were very friendly, which made the trip quite pleasant.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the top floor. For dinner options, there are plenty of restaurants in San Car...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 9 days while visiting family in the Bay Area. We chose this location as we wanted a bit more space for a longer stay, and because most reviews were favorable. The stay worked out even better than we had hoped.

We were especially pleased with the location. Although the hotel is about a 2-minute drive off Bayshore freeway, the location is very quiet and peaceful. The hotel is actually reached by driving through the parking lot of an office building, but this means there is no traffic noise. Our room looked out over the SF Bay, with a very attractive view. We took several walks on the path along the bay shoreline, which begins just outside the door.

The room was clean, comfortable, and fully furnished, though not luxurious. The staff were unfailingly polite and cheerful. Breakfast is nothing special, but our room had a full kitchen so we purchased breakfast items from the nearby Safeway store, and just got coffee (which was surprisingly first-rate) from the breakfast bar. Coffee was available all day, which was great.

In summary, we had great accommodations at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Bay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco San Carlos
Courtyard Redwood City
Courtyard Redwood City
#11 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to TownePlace Suites Redwood City Redwood Shores? Share your experiences!