“This is not Sofitel Quality”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
NY/Westport/Provence
“This is not Sofitel Quality”
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I have stayed at many Sofitels in France when I travel. How disapponted when I stayed at this Sofitel that was supposedly a 'luxe' hotel. The lobby is modern with a slight 'over 40' crowd at the bar near the restaurant where the music that is really loud...ruins any dining experience..not that the food was worth the prices. For half the price...if would be fine. The room was dank and stuffy when we entered. Worse, the fan blows on the bed so either you feel stifled or chance a cold or a stiff neck from the fan blowing directly towards the bed. Very typical chain hotel room decor with scuff marks on the walls and a small bathroom that desperatly needs an update. Tiles from the 80's and an institutional
tub and sink area. I will say that the staff is very helpful, the beds are very comfortable and they do have a nice gym...but....this hotel needs some fresh eyes to come in and so a make over.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 19, 2010

The lobby, restaurant, and lounge areas were all very modern. The rooms were decent though slightly outdated. But the real turnoff for me was how expensive this hotel was all the way around, even for a corporate traveller. The room was overpriced and room service was WAY overpriced ($28 for one crabcake and a liter of water). Look for the flight check in kiosk in the hotel market where you can print a boarding pass.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Bangalore
Reviewed February 2, 2010

In my US visit of 3 weeks, I couldn't get reservation in Hyatt Summerfields for all the 3 weeks and so had to split my stay in another hotel and luckily, travel agency reserved me here and what an amazing stay it was. Everything in the hotel right from the reception to the room speaks of quality. My room, bathroom, linen, breakfast served in the room, and everything else in the hotel is an epitome of quality.
Only one little thing I can fault at is they have only one restaurant and that according to me has very limited menu and for vegetarians, even less (I guess there were only two veg dishes).
But, anyway, close by there are plenty of restaurants, the close by mall has chinese, malaysian and italian pizzeria, so no major grudges on this front too.
Highly recommended!

• Liked — Quality in absolutely everything
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I have been to this Sofitel several times and do like it overall. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Nice pool outside and a beautiful small lake to walk around. Food in the restaurant or from room service is excellent and the beds are simply the best out there. Room decor is getting a bit dated now and rough around the edges. Not sure I would call this a 4 start hotel, rather a strong 3 star hotel.

The only negative is the thin walls so if you have a loud neighbor, you will hear them. I had the mobile phone ring next door to me at 5:30 am to wake me up! The for the next two hours, I enjoyed the conference call my neighbor had on speakerphone

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed January 15, 2010

When we first checked in, we were told it was going to be another hour before our room was ready even though it was after check-in time. When we got up the next morning I was covered in bug bites. They offered to switch us to another room, but showed us a handicap room that hadn't been updated. We checked out early and went to the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelingBaker
cedric02, GENERAL MANAGER at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for your comment and feedback in regards to your past experience with us. Immediately after being made aware of the situation, the room was inspected by our engineering team and independent pest specialist - no bed bugs were found.
I hope you enjoyed other aspects of you stay and hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Long Island, NY
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Spent 4 nights here the week between Christmas and New Year's. Overall, it was a nice and cozy hotel. Very upscale feel. The reason we chose it was we were renting a car, and the parking prices for the hotels in downtown SF were just plain outrageous. It was free to self park here. Though i must admit, it was a bit far from downtown (about 20 miles). Other than that, i had no complaints.

We arrive to SF from NY late and didnt check in until past midnight. The gentleman behind the desk recognized the late hour and was very quick about checking me in. Not sure i've even experienced such quick check in before. Very cordial.

The room was decent. I'll agree with some other reviewers that it could use SOME upgrade, but it didnt bother me at all. Flat panel LCD TV was a nice touch. As others mentioned as well, they use duvet covers, and NO FLAT SHEETS. but, we did call down to front desk and some were brought to us almost immediately. bathroom is adequately stocked with l'Occitane products.

We used the gym once or twice, and is very nice. Many cardio machines (treadmill, ellipticals and bikes), as well as free weights and machines. there are mats and medicine balls as well. towels are there for you if needed, and a water cooler. we didnt get to experience the pool, as it was pretty chilly.

The hotel store was ok. has some nice looking pastries, granola bars, drinks, etc....the lounge/restaurant area is spacious and sleek. very modern and upscale. we enjoyed a few drinks our last night. It was pricey. a mixed drink was $14. And a quick mention on the elevators- QUICK. there is always one waiting on the first floor.

Overall, this was a nice place to stay, if you wanted to avoid the $50/day parking at the downtown hotels. a bit of a drive, but it was clean and staff was friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank locondcoco
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Though I live just 20 mins north of Redwood City, my boyfriend and I booked a room here with his Air France discount for NYE. I loved it! I've stayed at the Novotel in Barcelona before, which is another Accor Hotel and loved it just as much at my stay here.
I LOVE that they use soft duvet covers and not itchy sheets. Most hotels only change the sheets between guests, leaving the comforter unwashed for quite some time. Since there's a duvet cover and no sheets, we're comforted that everything's clean! The bed itself was so comfortable and I slept so well!
I also LOVE that they have L'Occitane products for the bathroom! Their products are amazing and pricey, so it's nice to know they don't cheap out on their guests. They also had little things I always forget to bring such as q-tips and shower caps.
A big thumbs up for their efforts to save the environment too by planting trees for every few towels that you do not use.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
#9 of 17 in Redwood City
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!