“The Good and the Bad”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“The Good and the Bad”
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We spent 5 nights at this hotel with the wife and tax exemptions. Adjoining rooms. One King, two queens. Here is the skinny.

The Good
- Beds are really comfortable. I am picky about beds, and this place has really great beds. Along the lines as Four Seasons. Maybe better. I think they used the old beds, and got pillow tops for all of them. It works. Strange, I know.
- Front desk service - This is odd. Front desk service is really good. We had a problem with our room at check in. They immediately moved us to another set of rooms. No questions asked. Moved our bags, and set us up. This is complete contrast to the Bell Desk and Room Service.

The Bad
- The room and bell service here is just terrible. I ordered dinner from Safron (local delivery rest.) and room service for the kids at exact same time. Took 90 min for room service to make one kids pizza, took delivery 30 minutes for delivery. Room service is terrible. I mean really bad. they should shutter the kitchen, and give delivery menus for local places to guests.
- Bell desk is unprofessional. we pulled our car up, and while opening the door to the hotel, the kids and I overheard a rather explicit discussion taking place between staff. highly inappropriate.
- This place is dated. TV's are all tube. Furniture, carpet.. the whole place needs to be updated. It's about 10 years out of date. Given the current economy, though, they do well with what they have. They do make an effort to keep it clean.

Overall, this is a good hotel. I would emphasize TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING for staff and frequent oversight. Something is painfully and obviously lacking.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank RayandTaxExemptions

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Delhi
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Hotel is having wonderful ambience, location and service overall.Pickup and drop from airport was the key advantage.Preferred service as a guest partner. Lovely dinner in the room and restaurants. Gym was perfect for me to get connected with health for 7 days. Swimming pool was also good. joined A club as well due to good service of Sofitel

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Bangalore
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Sofitel is one of those obnoxious hotels where they insist on saying 'Bon jour'. I prefer staying here because of its proximity to my workplace.
The hotel has great views with the lagoon right next to it. Great for an early morning jog or walk. The restaurant food is ok. Not too many options for the veggie.
The bar can be fun i the evening where large number of business types gather for a quick drink.
The rooms are on par with other hotels in the price range. What i like the most is the luxurious bed and pillows :-)
Room service is slow .. takes 40 mins for a simple sandwich to arrive.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I've never been lied to like I have at this hotel. I've never had the communication problem that I have at this hotel.

I was to receive a group rate of $99 a night for four nights. Accor has no clue, sends me a confirmation number I can't use anyway. A day or two later, I finally get a confirmation number that works (wow.) By the way, it took three e-mails just to get it in writing. Why not just one?

I called the hotel periodically just to make sure everything is OK, so they tell me. Hey, I didn't want any surprises.

I fly in from the midwest, I show up at the front desk, they tell my my MasterCard is no good. Not true. Unfortunately, I'm left to use what little cash is left in my debit/card to pay for the room. I receive a sheet saying that I'm to be billed $149 a night (another lie). Naturally, I say I was told $99/night. I'm told that I'm right and the $149 is wrong.

Guess what? I'm overcharged $50 a night, my account is overdrawn, and now I have barely enough cash for the next four days. The only reason I'm still here is the seminar is simply too good to pass up.

While the seminar will be a phenomenal experience, Sofitel has already been a misery.

I'm through with Sofitel and Accor as well. I'll be sure to spread the word.

PS Rooms are way too small and bland for the price.

PPS Food is grossly overpriced.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank 34Meeechigan
Seattle
Reviewed May 23, 2009

VERY dated and dingy rooms, limited room service menu and hours (especially for a Sofitel) and understaffed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Badbreath
Netherlands
Reviewed May 17, 2009

It is a very nice hotel with clean and comfortable rooms. Parking is for free in a parking garage next to the hotel. The stuff is friendly. The hotel is situated next to a beautiful lake/lagoon, so the view is very impressive. In the lobby there is a pair of monitors with flight information for SFO (the hotel is just a quarter of an hour drive from the airport).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Have stayed at this hotel thrice in the last 5 years. Have stayed there for a week in each trip. This place is very well located for people having offices at Redwood City. For me it was 10mins walk to work. Ofcourse the hotel also provided frequent shuttle to our office every morning as there were many guests put up here almost daily. Rooms are great, nice little shop at the ground floor, lovely pool, good view from the rooms, nice departmental store nearby (if you want to buy something to eat cheaper than the hotel), couple of good restaurants at a walkable distance.

• Liked — Homely.. Good privacy
  • Disliked — Lonely surroundings, especially late evenings, but that is how most of California is I guess
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
#9 of 17 in Redwood City
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!