“Really lousy Iced Tea”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We chose to stay at Sofitel because it was between the holidays of Christmas and New Years, and they were running a very good special. The hotel was nearly empty. It was a very quiet spot, very near the airport, and only twenty minutes from downtown San Francisco. Parking was ample and close to the hotel. The staff was very courteous and the choice of snacks in the snackbar was above average. There were plenty of computers to use in the lobby which I loved.

Our room was clean and well appointed, however a bit dated with it's popcorn ceilings and old furniture and nineties color scheme. The beds were comfortable however, with a nice comforter and great pillows. We had a great TV too. I didn't really like the handicap railings in the bathroom. I think they gave us the handicap room since we got such a great deal on the room.

The restaurant had a nice selection of food however it was over priced. The bread was really delicious, but the iced tea was probably the worst I have ever had, and I love iced tea. Lunch was better than breakfast, and again it was over priced for the location. I have had cheaper and better meals in fancier restaurants in the city.

Overall it was a nice quiet pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jon M

Reviewed December 31, 2008

Like many large hotels, the lobby is nice, the staff is courteous and helpful but the rooms look like an 80's motel! I had a "junior suite" which was a large, odd shaped room divided by a half wall. It did have great views of the lagoon from three large windows. The furniture and carpets are old and worn as are the TVs. I didn't sit on the sofa in the living room because it looked really nasty. Speaking of nasty, the hot water in the bathroom sink ran very brown for a long time! On the plus side, towels and linens were nice quality and the bed was very comfortable and parking is free. Perhaps the strangest thing was that the bedside lights are controlled by a switch in the entry which also controls the entry light!!

Next time I'll stay at one of the "budget" hotels nearby because, honestly, the rooms aren't that different but the price is!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank dcm60
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Rather than drive home after a holiday dinner, my husband and I elected to remain on the Penninsula. We chose Sofitel based on its fine reputation as well as proximity to our relatives. We felt we were in the hands of gracious hosts and our surroundings were gentle and lovely. Room service was perfect. The bar was excellent. Our room cozy and warm. A more than delightful stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2008

The Hotel's location is OK if your plan is to visit Redwood City, but a little to far from San Francisco itself. The staff was good. The room of a nice size, the bedding excellent. Observation: the carpet of our room needed to be changed, as it was worn as well as dirty. I did not expect this from a Sofitel Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2008

As I travel to Redwood a lot for business I've tried most of the local hotels, and have found Sofitel to be my favourite.
The big downside is the location, other than convenience for local businesses I can't see any reason I'd want to stay there and I move out for weekends.
But if you need to be in the area the Sofitel offers good facilities, a nice restaurant (just don't expect to get breakfast in a hurry), and comfortable rooms. The staff are courteous and helpful.
The hotel puts in some French touches such as calling me Monsieur which I find rather bizarre, but I'd happily recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I stayed here for a week for work and found the hotel above average, but not spectacular. The room was a little bit dated, but of good size and comfortable. I wouldn't stay here for a holiday, but it was just fine for a work trip. There is plenty of parking, the service at the hotel was fine, the location was perfect for me. The only downside to staying here is that there is absolutely NOTHING to do in the evening time without a car. I'll stay here again as I think its the best hotel in the area for work, but I wouldn't stay here for a holiday.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank TCP-GDI
Reviewed October 11, 2008

I am writing this review as a business traveler (which I think is true for most individuals who stay in this hotel given its location). I work for one of the large companies near the Sofitel.

The room was large, clean, and very comfortable. I really enjoyed the view overlooking the lake. Bottled water was included, which I thought was a nice touch. There was no refrigerator or mini bar, though. The bed was very comfortable. My room was next to the elevator shaft, which made it somewhat noisy, so avoid this if you can. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

Since I was at a conference, my party and I spent some time in the lounge talking business. Since a number of us were from different locations around the world, we all needed to pay our tabs separately for corporate billing purposes. Our waitress rudely refused to do this and told us it was too much work for her. We were left to work it out for ourselves. It was, I felt, unprofessional.

Since I was traveling on business, I called my wife each night. I wish I had Skype or something because the hotel charged $10 a minute for each call, even if I only got to her voicemail! Avoid using the phone in this hotel. The rates are ridiculous.

I made these comments on my comment card at the end of my stay and they emailed a response to me promptly telling me they were looking into my concerns. I did email them back a few days later to see if they were going to refund the money for my phone calls or even apologize for the rude service in the bar. I never did hear back, so I am going to assume my company's business is not all that important to them.

Other than the two concerns noted above, objectively speaking it was a decent hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
#6 of 17 in Redwood City
Dinah's Garden Hotel
Dinah's Garden Hotel
#2 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!