“This is supposed to be a "Luxury" hotel?”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alexandria, Virginia
“This is supposed to be a "Luxury" hotel?”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I suppose my expectations were high since this hotel is billed as a "luxury" hotel but I found nothing special about it, at least nothing to set it apart from other hotels (especially budget hotels) that I've stayed at before. I was at this hotel for a conference in early May 2013. They are currently undergoing renovations, which was apparent. I believe my room had been recently renovated but given some still-visible wear, particularly in the bathroom, I wasn't certain.

The stay did not start out well for me. I knew they had a complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel, which is a nice touch. However, I did NOT know that you had to call to arrange for the shuttle to pick you up. After waiting for a half an hour at the hotel shuttle stand, I finally called and was told you had to call ahead for this service. There were several of us on the shuttle from the airport and I heard the driver radio ahead to the hotel. So, I was surprised to find only one staff person checking people in as they were aware, in advance, that the shuttle was full. Why would they not then be prepared to check all of those people in upon their arrival? A staff member walked the line and apologized for the wait, saying someone else would be there soon to help with registration (although I wondered why she didn't so herself but I chose not to ask). I was part of the group putting on the conference and registration staff was supposed to hand out a postcard of an event taking place, which did not happen in my case (event planners - just a note for you if you are considering this property for a conference).

The room was nice enough. The bed was comfortable but take note that there is no top sheet - the duvet essentially serves as the top sheet. I did like how that they have two shower heads in the bath and the bamboo makes it a bit homey. The hot water supply was fine when I needed it. They offer toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, body wash, etc.

The staff was OK, although some weren't particularly friendly. The food was good enough, but expensive (not surprising) but the menu is limited. This hotel, despite the name, is NOT particularly close to anything in the way of other restaurants and nightlife and is certainly not close to San Francisco.

When I think of "luxury" with hotels, this is not a hotel that would come to mind in that category. For a conference, it was fine but if you are paying more than $179/night (the conference rate) I don't think it would be worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SiteCer
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Munich
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very much for good service attitude shown by front desk & valet staff, especially David and Chris(?).
Lobby is beautiful. Room is good, bed is really comfortable.
I will definately come back Sofitel San Francisco Bay, again!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JH S
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am thrilled to hear that your needs were fullfiled while styaing with us.

I will share your comments with our team, especially with my front desk and bellmen amabassadors. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My colleague and I were a bit disappointed to find our rooms were not ready when we checked in (we'd asked for EARLY check-in due to tight timelines to get ready for our meetings, but the rooms weren't even ready by the normal check-in time), but after that initial moment, everything at the Sofitel was great. The hotel and events staff were extremely friendly and accommodating to my colleagues and I and our requests, and the meetings went very smoothly as a result, with outstanding food and A/V services.

The common areas are beautiful, particularly the bar/lounge area with its tropical cabana-like atmosphere (and can I just say, I might have had the best mojito of my life there!). The outdoor area near the pool is beautiful as well, and is right on the water.

My room, an upgraded suite, was on the top floor and was huge and absolutely stunning. The meetings I was in charge of were a bit stressful, so it was absolutely wonderful to have a clean, quiet, spacious and comfortable room to come back to. And the shower was maybe the best I've experienced at a hotel, with powerful water pressure like a fire hose (I consider this a GOOD thing, especially after a long and trying day!).

The location, right on the water (an inlet from the Bay, I believe?) was nice, although it was not QUITE as close to the airport as I was anticipating (about ten miles, and a fairly lengthy cab ride - be warned that the airport shuttle only runs once per hour!). Overall, I was impressed by this Sofitel and would definitely stay/conduct business there again.

Room Tip: Get a suite on an upper floor facing the water, if you have the means!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear

In addition, I would like to appologize for the late check-in time. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Washington, DC
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I am usually a big fan of this hotel--the great people, comfortable rooms, food, attention to detail etc. But I must advise on two not-so-nice developments. First in what they call the "new" wing (built a few years ago) the room (junior suite) is smaller, they put in connecting doors to rooms and apparently skimped on noise insulation and the noise level is *awful* as in you can hear every word, cough, etc. Ask for the old wings. Avoid the "new". They did bring me complimentary ear plugs, but it's strange to be paying 300$ plus and have to use ear protection to get some sleep.

Second, I suppose in order to squeeze every penny out of us, they are putting up required pay parking. One of the nice things about this hotel was the abundant free parking; this change in effect raises the cost of staying here. Be sure to ask how much the parking is--and I don't mean valet.

Room Tip: Ask for old wing, ask for ear plugs. Junior suites in old wings very quiet
1 Thank venders
Dear

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will more pleasant than the previous one.

Sudbury, MA
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times and always enjoyed it. Nice rooms, well equipped and functional for business travelers (You don't come here for leisure, of course). Friendly service. Free shuttle to airport. Restaurant is decent.

• Stayed May 2013

Michigan
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed three nights at Sofitel San Francisco Bay for business. My room was recently refurbished and was delightful. Everything was clean and new, and the room was very quiet and comfortable. The property was nice and was good for a conference hotel. The only issue is that there is nothing near the hotel except corporate office parks.

The hotel offers an efficient shuttle service to SFO hourly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, May 2, 2013

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Casual chic, warm greetings, dream bed, clean, successful room makeover, great food, attention to the extra detail which makes you feel special. One notices the pillowy bed , high quality sheets, thick towels, linen at breakfast, fresh juices, cut fresh strawberries in the ice water fountain by the pool.

Sofitel is a master of all things hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Bonjour!

The entire Sofitel San Francisco Bay team would like to THANK YOU for your lovely message and great compliments.

It is really a great reward for all of us to see how deeply you enjoyed staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxury service with French flair.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking time to share your experience. We hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Sofitel San Francisco Bay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Redwood Creek Inn
Redwood Creek Inn
#9 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!