“Business Only”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great hotel for Business stays,

Stayed here for 2 nights after our annual sales kickoff.
Very nice hotel, good staff and food.
Rooms are getting a needed update so when that's done it should beTops allround.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I were completely satisfied with our two-night stay. The included-breakfasts were first-rate, our room was large and comfortable, the beds were excellent. We had dinner there and enjoyed that as well. (The house chard is great.) The staff members were all pleasant and helpful, they even provided us with suggested walks around the hotel.

My only complaint - those fancy coffee-makers in the rooms are not good for tea-drinkers. Only green tea was provided and the tea tastes of coffee of course. Other than that - we were delighted with our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I went to San Francisco on business and was put up in this Sofitel hotel. It's a low rise building, 8 stories, in keeping with the generally similarly built office buildings in the vicinity. Neighbours include Oracle and EA. It's sited along an inlet from the bay, and that makes for scenic views from some parts of the building. Hotel is in the midst of some upgrading but generally the work doesn't impact guests.

Positives - 1. Nice comfortable rooms, no real issues. There's a couch and coffee table too. 2. A Nepresso-style coffee maker is available in the room. Stylish. 3. TV is plugged into a HD feed, so images are awesome. 4. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night. Food was brilliant, and service was spot-on. 5. Hotel provides an airport shuttle from 6am to 11pm, on the hour. The driver is friendly and always willing to help. 6. Hotel car park is close and large. Useful as many guests drive if on business. 7. Hotel has a 24 hr gym.

Negatives - 1. I had a large suitcase and there wasn't a suitable spot to keep it open fully while on the suitcase stand. So I had to put it outside the bathroom. 2. You can't open the closet doors with the bathroom door open. So it got a little tricky with the suitcase.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel this past weekend and it was a disappointing experience that did not meet my expectations at all for a four-star hotel. From the moment I arrived, I had the feeling I'd be ignored: the entry way was dead quiet, with an overaged 'valet parker/doorman' standing inside the imposing doors. I pulled up and it seemed like I was disturbing him by asking him to valet park my car and help with the bags. (I later learned that I could self park for free about 20 feet away in the parking garage, which I was not informed by the staff.) Then when I checked in, the attendant at the desk 'upgraded' me to a top floor room -- come to find out despite the fact that I had called ahead two times to confirm a room with TWO beds, the 'upgrade' room had only 1 bed and was pretty much just a standard room. * THE BED WAS PROBABLY THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED I HAVE SLEPT IN IN A HOTEL WITH FEATHER BED AND DUVET, LOVELY PILLOWS * The Bar/Restaurant was all but abandoned. The next day I called down for my car, then had to wait standing in front of the car for 10 minutes while the valet parker did lord-knows-what wandering around with my key in his pocket. When I went to the front desk to ask where my key was, the FOUR employees behind the desk seemed engrossed in their own conversation despite the fact that I, the customer, was standing there at the desk obviously waiting for them to acknowledge me so I could ask a question. Finally, I called the morning of checkout (Sunday) for request late checkout. Was told OK, late checkout is at noon. I then asked when 'regular' checkout was if late was at noon -- told "noon" -- apparently they are 'nearly fully booked for tomorrow and they can't give me late check out.' OK, that's fine, but let's just be honest about it up front and not tell me I'm getting late checkout when it's the regular checkout time. And THEN, don't send housekeeping to knock on my door at 9:30am if I just called at 8:30 for late checkout!

My conclusion: this is a business hotel, probably very busy on the weekdays, and the clients do not expect four-star pampering or attention. Well, I do. And Sofitel did NOT deliver.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

A quite and biz oriented hotel. Great for company meetings and events. I liked the restaurant, but there are other better choices nearby. Dont include breakfast. Too expensive. Need car to move around. Has a shuttle to SFO airport

• Stayed: January 2013
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a really nice hotel—the staff are friendly and helpful, it's a good location if you're going to be working on the north end of Silicon Valley and will have a car, the beds are comfortable, the amenities are nice.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the rooms. I hope these will be fixed in the renovation that they are doing, but for now I think they are sufficiently problematic that I won't be staying here again.

The first problem is that the hotel has exploding toilets. These are the kind that do a low-volume flush by building up pressure in the tank. When you flush the toilet, there's a loud, percussive whoosh, and the toilet flushes. This is so loud that you can hear it from several rooms away, and it makes sleeping here difficult. It's particularly bad if you are sharing the room, because of course the flushing sound is loudest in the room.

The other problem is that the toilet bowls are so shallow that it's a sanitary problem. I won't go into details on this, but think about it for a minute. It's only a problem for male guests. The toilets are also incredibly low—the first time I sat down on one, I almost lost my balance because the seat was a couple of inches lower than I'm used to.

These are really trivial problems for such a nice hotel, and I hope they correct them, but until they do I really wouldn't recommend staying here. There are plenty of other nice properties nearby.

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your time with us did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are actually in an ongoing process of upgrading all of the rooms with new furniture and amenities in order to provide a great experience for all of our guests. Therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

They have it nailed! A great nite sleep in the super comfortable beds and pillows I slept so well and woke up refreshed. Then down for breakfast to the complimentary "Americano" wow so yummy complete with coffee and juice! The lunch the day before was also super delicious. Then there was the happy , helpful staff and great service in all areas. Hats off!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Bonjour!

The entire Sofitel San Francisco Bay team would like to THANK YOU for your lovely message and great compliments.

It is really a great reward for all of us to see how deeply you enjoyed staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxury service with French flair.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking time to share your experience. We hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Sofitel San Francisco Bay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
Courtyard Redwood City
#11 of 17 in Redwood City
HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!