“Nice hotel, but some serious problems” 3 of 5 bubbles

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brattleboro, Vermont
“Nice hotel, but some serious problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a really nice hotel—the staff are friendly and helpful, it's a good location if you're going to be working on the north end of Silicon Valley and will have a car, the beds are comfortable, the amenities are nice.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the rooms. I hope these will be fixed in the renovation that they are doing, but for now I think they are sufficiently problematic that I won't be staying here again.

The first problem is that the hotel has exploding toilets. These are the kind that do a low-volume flush by building up pressure in the tank. When you flush the toilet, there's a loud, percussive whoosh, and the toilet flushes. This is so loud that you can hear it from several rooms away, and it makes sleeping here difficult. It's particularly bad if you are sharing the room, because of course the flushing sound is loudest in the room.

The other problem is that the toilet bowls are so shallow that it's a sanitary problem. I won't go into details on this, but think about it for a minute. It's only a problem for male guests. The toilets are also incredibly low—the first time I sat down on one, I almost lost my balance because the seat was a couple of inches lower than I'm used to.

These are really trivial problems for such a nice hotel, and I hope they correct them, but until they do I really wouldn't recommend staying here. There are plenty of other nice properties nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your time with us did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are actually in an ongoing process of upgrading all of the rooms with new furniture and amenities in order to provide a great experience for all of our guests. Therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

They have it nailed! A great nite sleep in the super comfortable beds and pillows I slept so well and woke up refreshed. Then down for breakfast to the complimentary "Americano" wow so yummy complete with coffee and juice! The lunch the day before was also super delicious. Then there was the happy , helpful staff and great service in all areas. Hats off!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Bonjour!

It is really a great reward for all of us to see how deeply you enjoyed staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxury service with French flair.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking time to share your experience. We hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Sofitel San Francisco Bay.

Los Osos, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was staying in the area because of having surgery at a Stanford facility. I was unfamiliar with the area but after reading reviews of several hotels, this was where I decided to stay. I realized it was further from the surgery center than other hotels. I asked for a room, close to the elevators, knowing I would be on crutches and they did the best they could. The bathroom had grab bars and a raised toilet seat (not sure if all the rooms do or if this was chosen for me), which I was so happy about after surgery (I didn't think I would need them but glad they were there). When I got to the hotel after surgery, they went and got a wheelchair for me and took me up to my room. They even offered to come back with the wheelchair in the morning to take me down.

It was easily accessible from the freeway. I had no need to leave the hotel but if you are looking for places close by, you would need to drive. There are not any restaurants within walking distance. I did have breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was great and I am sure their dinner menu would have been fabulous as well. I was beyond pleased with my stay and I am very picky about hotels I stay at!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Bonjour!

The entire Sofitel San Francisco Bay team would like to THANK YOU for your lovely message and great compliments. We wish you a very fast recovery.

FINDLAY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

From start to finish my stay at Sofitel was outstanding! Among the highlights were:

Easily accessible and free parking garage
Staff holding the door for you upon entry and exit
All around friendly staff
GREAT workout facility ... Loved the TV on each cardio machine
Very quiet and well kept room
Nice breakfast selection from their store. Very health conscious!

If there was a downside, it was that my cocktail at their bar (one drink) costs $15.00, but I can live with that considering that everything else was so well done.

Would recommend this to solo travelers and business travelers. This is clearly not a place designed to take a family from what I saw saw of the clientele in the hotel. Very business oriented, but VERY well done!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CHRIS B
Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The most positive aspect of our stay was the excellent and friendly service. If you requested something someone always called back and made sure your needs were met. The restaurant was also very good, although with a limited menu. Service in the restaurant was excellent.

The less positive aspects including room lighting, which was too dim to allow us to easily read with our aging eyes. We also discovered that we were on the "pet floor". Apparently you need to inquire about whether your room previously housed a dog. We saw people checking in with dogs. Now I like dogs as much as the next person, but I would prefer to have a room previously occupied only by humans. People with allegries should be aware of this.

There was a disquieting sign in the room informing us that the water may go off unexpectedly during the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM. It didn't happen, but it gives you pause when you are in the middle of your shower. There was some noise in the mornings from the renovation. We had a room where there was a doorway into the adjacent room. The sound isolation from our noisy neighbors was practically non-existant. I would recommend you definitely ask the front desk for a room absent this feature. Finally, during our stay there were numerous unruly children running about. I know the hotel has limited control over this but it would definitely influence my decision to stay in the future.

This was our first stay at a Sofitel Hotel and I regret I cannot give it a higher rating.

Room Tip: Room without a doorway into an adjacent room will be quieter. Ask for a room not on the pet floor.