“Over rated, rooms were nothing special.”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Over rated, rooms were nothing special.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I felt the hotel had the "French arrogance" for a hotel in the suburbs of San Francisco . It tried to come across as a very classy ,over priced hotel, yet the rooms were not at the same level as the lobby,

• Stayed October 2012
Thank the black pearl @shaw.ca
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your time with us did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are actually in an ongoing process of upgrading all of the rooms with new furniture and amenities in order to provide a great experience for all of our guests. Therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

For full disclosure, I have to mention that this was the business end of a holiday, so I didn't pay the bill myself (if I had, I would be more scathing). This was my 3rd stay at the Sofitel for business - it's close to our office and probably the only option in the area. Mit biggest bugbear with the Sofitel is the fact that they don't provide minibar / fridges or safes in their standard rooms. I had just spent two weeks in 2-star motels in SoCal and every one of them had a fridge and safe, so not having the same facilities in a 4-star hotel, grates. My second bugbear is the fact that you can't open a window and have to rely solely on AC - it got way too hot at night and I prefer fresh air. The faux French accents of staff also grate. Service in the restaurant is slow - I joined a group as a late comer and had to chase to get drinks, cutlery, etc. Food was super slow to come. All in all, not a massive problem, but this is meant to be a 4-star hotel.

Rant over, the rooms are spacious, very clean, bathroom has L'Occitane shower gel/soap, etc. The bathroom looked newly refurbished and was actually very nice with a big overhead shower (although they ran out of hot water on Sunday morning). The bed was super-soft, maybe a tiny bit too soft for my liking, but not a problem. They have huge down duvets, which are cosy, but which would probably be more adequate in a cold climate - as it was, I found them a bit suffocating and too hot. I had room service one night and service was good and prompt - there was also a follow-up call to make sure that everything was ok with the food.

The hotel is in a business park miles from anywhere, so for anyone looking for a base in San Francisco may be better off being closer to the city. The hotel provides a shuttle bus to SFO and I used that to get to BART, but it is a long way and took over an hour door to door. Going back to the hotel can mean a long wait as the shuttle only leaves once an hour.

All in all, a very average hotel in my opinion. I would really class this is a typical business hotel in a big business park and I hazard a guess that 90% of guests were there on business. This is definitely not a place on which I would spend my own buck - which I might in other 4-star hotels which I have stayed in over the years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

San Francisco
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Goods:
Beautiful lobby, contemporary style and quite glamorous. The atmosphere with its music, flowers, lightings and fragrance are quite good. The interior designer did a great job!
The room is good sized compare to other standard hotel room in the same class, at least for Room 901 (corner room). I think it’s about 230 sqf.
Provide both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection, and both with complementary (basic) broadband with some data transfer limitation (e.g. up to 200MB data if I remember correctly). So if you are just checking your emails you don’t have to pay extra. They also have complimentary Internet stations for you to check emails...
Free parking and free rollaway bed, yeah!
Outdoor heated pool. This is definitely one of the highlight. The pool is a bit small but REALLY warm). The depth of the swimming pool is 3.5 feet (flat bottom), perfect for families with young children.
Jogging track - pretty cool actually, the scenery, although a bit artificial, but not bad at all.
Staffs are really wonderful and friendly, with some French accent. You hear a lot of Bonjour here and there, made you feel that you are back in Paris. They also gave us a lagoon-view room (based on availability), which is really appreciated.
There are two complimentary bottle water provided and a good coffee maker (not those cheapo ones) included.
The restaurant (Bay 223) seems very nice, but we didn’t try it.
Fitness center is very nice, equipped with high-end professional LifeFitness equipments. Some of the treadmills might need some attention though, as the emergency button (magnetics and the hook) are rusty and some are not working.

Now the Not-so-goods:
Luxury Room decor is a bit plain. I like some of the final touches and details such as the mini (lucky) bamboo plants in the bathroom and the light bulbs, however, on the back of our bathroom door there were quite a bit wear and tear that were never fixed.
The LCD TV is a bit on the smaller side (30” I think). Although it come with HDMI input, but you can’t connect your device to it as the Hotel TV system (LodgeNet??) will not allow it. Even that we changed the input source but when it detects an external source it simply won’t play any video through the HDMI input...
There is no Safe and no mini-refrigerator in the room, and there is only ONE hotel bathrope in the closet (I guess we can request another one but why not put two in there at the first place?)
The alarm does not support iPhone or Android phone, it’s just a plain alarm clock.
The swimming pool is a bit small and might need some maintenance. The water was not really clean (it was a Saturday afternoon and there were lots of dead bugs on the bottom of the pool), and there was a missing paint patch on the bottom of the pool (about palm size), which we had to remind our little one to avoid that area as your toes can get serious cuts if you are not careful...
The lagoon looks nice, however, if you get close up, the water is actually brownish, which looks not so clean.

Overall we had a good stay here and probably will be back again in the future!

Room Tip: 9th floor with lagoon view is good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

In addition to this, I would like to let you known that we are actually in an ongoing process of upgrading all of the rooms with new furniture and amenities in order to provide a great experience for all of our guests. Therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to e-mail us at H0922@sofitel.com.

Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here earlier this month for several nights when I was in town for a friend's wedding.

The lobby area looked great... It oozed trendiness and looked like it was renovated recently.

My room, though, looked like it hadn't seen a facelift since the '70s or '80s. It was really evident in the bathroom. Everything from the huge vanity light bulbs to the oversized sink faucet handles made me feel like I had traveled back a few decades. The water pressure in the shower wasn't too strong, which was disappointing. Otherwise, everything else in the bathroom and bedroom areas were fine. The king-sized bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. I think I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow every single night!

The hotel's location is weird... it's in the middle of a corporate park, and we didn't see any other hotels nearby. The area is pretty dead, especially at night. There's an In-n-Out Burger a few minutes drive away (close to where you get off the highway for the hotel). There really isn't anything within walking distance, but you do have easy access to the highway.

Parking is free in a covered garage adjacent to the hotel. Wi-fi is also free. I didn't check them out, but there's also a free gym (which looked pretty well-equipped), as well as an outdoor heated pool.

We got a special $109/night rate because we were in a room blocked off for the wedding, so for that price, we were satisfied with what we got.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel now at least 10 times. This last visit however was a test of their service. We brought a dog with us, and they were extremely courteous and friendly about it.

What continues to shine about this hotel: friendly staff, quiet location, clean rooms, nice location on the water.

As an FYI, when you bring your Dog to this hotel, you won't get the "dog packages" that some hotels offer (like doggy snacks, water-bowl etc.), but frankly, I don't really care about those as we always bring our own.

Great job Sofitel !

Room Tip: The view of the water is great, but if you're on the lower floors (i.e. 2-4) and near the pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Bonjour!

The entire Sofitel San Francisco Bay team would like to THANK YOU for your lovely message and great compliments.

It is really a great reward for all of us to see how deeply you enjoyed staying with us . We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxury service with French flair. In addiiton to this, we are going to take into consideration the idea of having "dog packages" to our furry guests.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking time to share your experience. We hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Sofitel San Francisco Bay.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only one night. It was certainly a nice hotel that caters to the business traveler. I would have liked to stay longer but my next destination was downtown San Francisco. The parking garage does not have an elevator so unload/load your car at the main entrance. The parking spots are really small and there were MANY people that parked using two spaces, which limits the parking. The coffee bar was only available from 4:00 am - 6:00 am. If you weren't up by 6:00 am, you missed out and either got coffee in your room or could purchase coffee at the cafe. I could not get out of bed in time for the coffee bar.

The rooms are nice and large and the beds were very comfortable. I would definitely stay here for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, October 19, 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
BEST WESTERN Inn
#4 of 17 in Redwood City
TownePlace Suites Redwood City Redwood Shores
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!