“Nice service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Nice service”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel is located in Redwood City, near Oracle and other tech companies.
It is an elegant hotel, with very pleasant service. Staff are welcoming and uniformly helpful.

There is a good restaurant, a bar and an eat/in or take out cafe with lattés, espresso and very nice French pastries. Rooms were fine. Fairly standard good quality hotel room. The plumbing and doors opening and closing in adjoining room are somewhat noisy, but I was only aware of that in the evening, and my sleep was not disturbed.

The location is fine for business in the area, but at the price I wouldn't stay here for tourism- you can get as nice a hotel right in San Francisco for that.

The hotel is a bit isolated- it was a $30 cab ride to the company I was visiting on Seaport Boulevard. However, it is situated on a small lagoon and you can walk around it- apparently 4km around, but I just walked about half way. There is an outdoor pool and bar that look over the lagoon- pleasant to sit there in the late afternoon.

All in all, if you need to be in the local area around Redwood City/San Mateo for business, this is a good choice, but if you are in the Bay area for tourism, I'd head for downtown San Francisco. I took the free shuttle to and from the airport, but if you are there for more than a couple of nights, a rent a car would be preferable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here for business for a week. The room was good, the breakfast was of a good quality, I really liked the corned beef hash and eggs. Staff were courteous and helpful, especially the concierge who helped with some restaurant bookings (Town in San Carlos - read my review and go). The bar is fairly good, the mini gym is of a god size and the pool area is reasonable; however, there is a leisure complex at the end of Twin Dolphin which allows you access with your room key and is much bigger and better.

If you have business in the area you could do worse than stay here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this review, October 4, 2012

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am very impressed with this hotel. When I booked it on Hotwire, it seemed like a nice hotel but in the middle of nowhere. This is not true. The hotel is just on the other side of the 101 freeway from downtown San Carlos, so you get the best of both worlds. On the one hand you're close to everything, but also far enough away that you can get some peace and quiet.

The hotel itself is great. The lobby is gorgeous, staff are extremely helpful, and the martini bar is first rate. The rooms are quite nice, fairly spacious, everything you'd expect in a higher end hotel.

There is a swimming pool (gorgeous) and fitness center. Unlike other high end hotels, wifi and parking are free. Yes, free.

Oh, one nice touch... bath robes. I love hotels with bath robes.

Elk Grove, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This Hotel is a 4 Star experience and great for exploring beyond San Francisco,Ca. Check out Half Moon Bay from here, just 20 minutes on highway 92 to Half Moon Bay and the California coastline...Check out It's Italia Restaurant & Bar 401 Main St.Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 for great pizza and fireplaces in the courtyard . Ride bikes from The Bike Works, 520 Kelly St.Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 along the Coastline and relax. Bring a lunch from the local grocery store and explore all the beaches along the coast. Bring chairs or a blanket and listen to the ocean for a little rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: Ask for a Higher floor above the water.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 69Gregory69

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you like European hospitality, this is a good place to stay while still in the U.S. The staff was unfailing in their politeness, good nature, and concern. Since we were with a person in a wheelchair, the staff was very helpful in pre-arranging for the necessary accommodations. The staff also appeared to be European interns, who are probably getting experience for careers in hotel management. Their approach was always civilized, always helpful. The design of the hotel was also contemporary European, if you like that sort of thing. Cool metalwork on the main entrance doors.

The food was excellent, and the service just right -- not too hovering and not too distant. The beds were lush-comfortable, so much so that I had to order their pillows once I got back home.

To be fair, there were a few minor items of apparent damage in the room - a crushed lampshade (fell over at one time?) and a gouge in one of the headboards (who knows?). However the bathroom was always spotless and well maintained, and the room was quite comfortable.

Proximity to the airport was also a plus, as was the convenient parking. A stay here is a good stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bonjour!

The entire Sofitel San Francisco Bay team would like to THANK YOU for your lovely message and great compliments.

It is really a great reward for all of us to see how deeply you enjoyed staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxury service with French flair.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking time to share your experience. We hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Sofitel San Francisco Bay.

Stittsville, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is known as the Oracle hotel for good reason - it's conveniently located just a 15-minute walk from the main campus, and also offers three morning shuttle runs. There's also a dedicated Oracle breakfast room, with an ingenious idea: either eat-in plates, or take-away containers for those who need breakfast, but are in a rush.

I never had any complaints about the facility - I was in a nice room that didn't look outdated at all, although there were some minor chips in the desk. Not anything that bothered me! The room was large and always clean, and the bathroom was continually immaculate.

I especially enjoyed the running maps provided in the gym - and instead of using the indoor facilities I ran around the Redwood Shores area. Just watch out for the geese! Not that they're the problem, but all sidewalks are covered in their excrement.

Their outdoor pool is great, despite the cool weather it's heated, and is often the site of sunbathers during the sunny periods. At nights they have brazers outside to keep warm around as well, a nice touch.

The only issue I had was with it's location in terms of other amenities. I didn't have a car, and had to walk 40 minutes into town one day to get some food. It's also not the easiest to find a cab at non-standard hours, which can be a problem as well.

One other thing: There isn't substantial soundproofing in the rooms. I could hear voices next door to me, and banging in the hallways, which occasionally woke me up.

Additionally on Tuesday morning they started pneumatic drilling at 6am.... really?! I was told it would be done by 7:30am, which seems ridiculous to me. Sure, you may have meetings being held in your hotel during the day, but I'd think that the sleep of my guests was more important!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redwood City
#9 of 17 in Redwood City
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!