“Pleasantly Surprised”

Pullman San Francisco Bay
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Redwood City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am very impressed with this hotel. When I booked it on Hotwire, it seemed like a nice hotel but in the middle of nowhere. This is not true. The hotel is just on the other side of the 101 freeway from downtown San Carlos, so you get the best of both worlds. On the one hand you're close to everything, but also far enough away that you can get some peace and quiet.

The hotel itself is great. The lobby is gorgeous, staff are extremely helpful, and the martini bar is first rate. The rooms are quite nice, fairly spacious, everything you'd expect in a higher end hotel.

There is a swimming pool (gorgeous) and fitness center. Unlike other high end hotels, wifi and parking are free. Yes, free.

Oh, one nice touch... bath robes. I love hotels with bath robes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel San Francisco Bay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Sofitel San Francisco Bay, California

Write a ReviewReviews (1,453)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This Hotel is a 4 Star experience and great for exploring beyond San Francisco,Ca. Check out Half Moon Bay from here, just 20 minutes on highway 92 to Half Moon Bay and the California coastline...Check out It's Italia Restaurant & Bar 401 Main St.Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 for great pizza and fireplaces in the courtyard . Ride bikes from The Bike Works, 520 Kelly St.Half Moon Bay, CA 94019 along the Coastline and relax. Bring a lunch from the local grocery store and explore all the beaches along the coast. Bring chairs or a blanket and listen to the ocean for a little rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: Ask for a Higher floor above the water.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 69Gregory69

Reviewed September 25, 2012

If you like European hospitality, this is a good place to stay while still in the U.S. The staff was unfailing in their politeness, good nature, and concern. Since we were with a person in a wheelchair, the staff was very helpful in pre-arranging for the necessary accommodations. The staff also appeared to be European interns, who are probably getting experience for careers in hotel management. Their approach was always civilized, always helpful. The design of the hotel was also contemporary European, if you like that sort of thing. Cool metalwork on the main entrance doors.

The food was excellent, and the service just right -- not too hovering and not too distant. The beds were lush-comfortable, so much so that I had to order their pillows once I got back home.

To be fair, there were a few minor items of apparent damage in the room - a crushed lampshade (fell over at one time?) and a gouge in one of the headboards (who knows?). However the bathroom was always spotless and well maintained, and the room was quite comfortable.

Proximity to the airport was also a plus, as was the convenient parking. A stay here is a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Bonjour!

The entire Sofitel San Francisco Bay team would like to THANK YOU for your lovely message and great compliments.

It is really a great reward for all of us to see how deeply you enjoyed staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxury service with French flair.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking time to share your experience. We hope we'll have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Sofitel San Francisco Bay.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel is known as the Oracle hotel for good reason - it's conveniently located just a 15-minute walk from the main campus, and also offers three morning shuttle runs. There's also a dedicated Oracle breakfast room, with an ingenious idea: either eat-in plates, or take-away containers for those who need breakfast, but are in a rush.

I never had any complaints about the facility - I was in a nice room that didn't look outdated at all, although there were some minor chips in the desk. Not anything that bothered me! The room was large and always clean, and the bathroom was continually immaculate.

I especially enjoyed the running maps provided in the gym - and instead of using the indoor facilities I ran around the Redwood Shores area. Just watch out for the geese! Not that they're the problem, but all sidewalks are covered in their excrement.

Their outdoor pool is great, despite the cool weather it's heated, and is often the site of sunbathers during the sunny periods. At nights they have brazers outside to keep warm around as well, a nice touch.

The only issue I had was with it's location in terms of other amenities. I didn't have a car, and had to walk 40 minutes into town one day to get some food. It's also not the easiest to find a cab at non-standard hours, which can be a problem as well.

One other thing: There isn't substantial soundproofing in the rooms. I could hear voices next door to me, and banging in the hallways, which occasionally woke me up.

Additionally on Tuesday morning they started pneumatic drilling at 6am.... really?! I was told it would be done by 7:30am, which seems ridiculous to me. Sure, you may have meetings being held in your hotel during the day, but I'd think that the sleep of my guests was more important!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I contacted Mr. Hutar on August 27th regarding my concerns about a reservation we had at this property on Sept 14. As our arrangements had been made for us at the Sofitel, and I had read some pretty disturbing reviews on tripadvisor and a few other sites, I was concerned about whether or not we would be able to have a room without mold or chipped tiles or dirty carpets or any of the other unpleasant things that guests who stayed at your location had complained about. I was contacted via email by Rosalind Mariana, who assured me that she had assigned me to one of their updated and remodeled rooms, and I was satisfied that my stay would be pleasant. However, upon arrival we were given the keys to a room with carpet so filthy I refused to accept it. The furniture was ancient, the desk was scratched and stained, the bathroom was moldy, and it was subpar for a roadside motel, let alone a luxury hotel like the Sofitel. We went back down to the desk and we were assigned another room and escorted upstairs by a front desk clerk. He let us into the second room and all of our eyes immediately went to the huge dirty stain in the middle of the floor. The desk, table, headboard was stained and OLD and the bathroom was disgusting. The clerk called down on his walkie talkie and made arrangements to find us another room. This time he led us to the 4th floor to a large corner suite. It was very big, with a bedroom and a separate living room, and the carpet was acceptable. However, the shower was again filthy, with cracks in the floor tiles and mold and rust all around the shower door. The furniture in the living room was so dirty we had to lay towels down in sit on them. There were HUGE spider webs hanging outside of every window, so the view was shot. We had no washcloths in the bathroom so we had to call downstairs two days in a row to have some brought to our room. Overall, this was a horrendous stay that I tried to prevent by being proactive and contacting the manager with my concerns well in advance of my arrival. I have stayed in the Beverly Hills Sofitel on several occasions and while that property was definitely up to par, this one needs a COMPLETE overhaul of furniture, bathroom fixtures, tiles, and carpet, and a very good SCRUBBING as it is DIRTY! When will these hotel managers learn that a pretty lobby doesn't count for everything? I will have lots of business in the area in the future, but I will never stay at this property again unless it is completely cleaned and overhauled. Hugely disappointed and not fitting of carrying the Sofitel name or brand.

Room Tip: Call in advance and ask for a remodeled room. The older rooms are simply filthy, especially the carp...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 1WorldTraveler49
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to resolve this matter directly with the hotel. I hope you'll take us up on our offer to return once our renovation is fully completed and our rooms are refreshed. I apologize for the stay your experienced.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great hotel for business travel. Very near the airport (~20 mins) and they offer a complementary shuttle to/from the airport. Conveniently located near several Silicon Valley tech companies - walking distance to Oracle.

Rooms are well appointed,but lack a refrigerator for longer stays. In room wi-fi (for a fee) is speedy. Room service is outstanding. Good food and very prompt delivery. Menu can get a bit redundant after a few nights stay. Would recommend making a daily or weekly special available for ordering to your room.

Gym is small, but adequate. Staff is friendly & helpful. All-in-all a good place to stay while traveling on business to the Bay area.

Room Tip: This is a dog friendly hotel. So you may hear a bark or two.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CycleTime
John H, General Manager at Pullman San Francisco Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here for 10 days on business - very comfortable room (and bed) One of the best gyms I have ever seen in a hotel. Small pool at the rear overlooking a little lake.

Very good French toast for breakfast - food beautifully presented generally. Staff generally helpful.

Room big comfy with special plug points on lights. You may need to check the hairdryer mine did not plug in which I found out when hair was wet (the prongs had been bent) The toiletries are L'Occitane and lovely. Replenished regularly.

Little coffee machine in the room which was very well designed. Take away coffee bar downstairs in foyer also.

I used the hotel airport shuffle to get the airport then took BART to SF which other people did also (eg if you didnt want to drive in for sightseeing at the weekend)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with connecting doors.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Courtyard Redwood City
Courtyard Redwood City
#11 of 17 in Redwood City
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame

Been to Pullman San Francisco Bay? Share your experiences!