“First time and probably NOT the last time!”

The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“First time and probably NOT the last time!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was our first trip out to California and we decided to stay at the Portofino because we scored a pretty good deal online. Reading reviews they were very mixed but we couldn't have loved it more! Our first room was marina facing on the first floor but by request we were able to upgrade and had a beautiful ocean-side view with a balcony to enjoy our evenings and breakfasts. Everything for us went great and we hope to come back!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with third-floor facing the water!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Wow, thank you for sharing your first California experience with us! We are so thrilled to be a part of your family’s memories forever! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy you were able to enjoy an ocean side upgrade. The ocean view rooms really do offer optimal views of our unique location! We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you on your next Californian adventure!

Happy New Year,

BALEENkitchen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Thai first
Torrance, California
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was the third year in a row I have planned a one-day meeting at the Portofino. Each of the three times, everything went smoothly. No hiccups, no bumps in the road, just friendly, professional, and accomodating service, and good food! Both Sales & Catering Manager, Kate Foster, and the property itself, make the Portofino the obvious choice for us to help give our staff the feeling of being well-cared-for at an off-site meeting. Because of this, you have a growing number of "Portofino Fan Club" members! We'll be back in 2015, or sooner!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Andrea,

Thank you so much for leaving your generous feedback! We are thrilled that your company enjoys hosting events with us! Kate values your business very much. I appreciate you taking the time to leave thoughts on your past experience and meetings. We are excited about what the future holds for our valued partnership.

See you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Portofino for four days and we absolutely loved it! The rooms were very spacious. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were great! I absolutely loved the shower. The only negatives about the room were there were not enough pillows (I'm sure if we would have requested extra they would have provided them) and sometimes the heat of the water in the shower didn't get very warm. There was one issue where the lights in the room kept turning on the first two nights we were there. I think when I was flipping over I set off the sensor? I'm not sure what was going on, I turned it off quickly and fell back asleep.

The location is great! You can walk to the pier, the ocean, or rent one of their bikes! I've never been to the LA area and the staff was excellent and recommending places to go based on mine/my husband's interests.

I cannot wait to stay there again the next time we are in the area!

Room Tip: They offered us an upgrade to ocean view for $30 a night, but the hotel is only 3 stories and the ma...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tara,

Thank you so much for your nice comments about the hotel and our staff. We are so happy you and your husband enjoyed yourselves! Thank you for sharing your observations about the room sensor and pillows. The sensors are used to save energy. We will look into why your sensor seemed to malfunction. We appreciate you sending us your constructive feedback. We will absolutely use it to improve our amenities. Thank you again for choosing the Portofino. We look forward to see you again soon!

Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have hosted two work-related events at the Portofino: one large event for 100+ people and one small retreat for 17 people. The location can't be beat: easy for people flying into LAX to get to and RIGHT ON THE WATER -- both meeting rooms I've used have overlooked the Pacific Ocean! The staff is so friendly and willing to work with you on all the details to make your event run smoothly. I will definitely return to the Portofino for future events, and I believe many of the attendees from my events will return for a personal vacation -- the rooms are delightful, the food is fantastic, and the amenities are unparalleled for the price! 5 stars!

Room Tip: Every room is great! With this location on the water, you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Alysia,

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts! We appreciate you sharing your insightful comments with future guests. We would also like to acknowledge your thoughtful remarks about our special staff and meeting facilities. Thank you so much for hosting your event with us. We look forward to working with you again!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently booked this venue to host a birthday/retirement party for my mother this past weekend and all I can say about the service is AMAZING. From my initial site visit to the day of my event, I received nothing but the best customer service. On the day of the event the staff crossed all of the T's and dotted all of the I's and not only was I impressed but my mother and guests were as well. In addition to the wonderful service, the room (pacific ballroom) was nice with beautiful views and the food was good. Needless to say I am so glad that I chose this venue and I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family as well as book it again for any future events that I may host.

Shout out to Shelley, Meggie, Luis and the rest of the staff for helping me pull off an amazing event that my mom will remember forever.

Sincerely a totally satisfied customer,
Rene

• Stayed January 2014
Rene, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are so thrilled to hear you had a great experience! It sounds like Shelley, Meggie and Luis took good care of you. Thank you for hosting your special event with us. We look forward to working with you again.

Hawthorne, California
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I'm only writing this beacause I saw some bad comments, and couldn't believe it. I have stayed at The Portofino a few times with my husband and always had a great experience. This time I brought my daughter so we stayed in a room with 2 beds on the ground floor. I didn't think we would be able to really enjoy the Ocean side, since we were told it was a partial view. But we did! We had a wonderful water view and sat outside each morning for breakfast. My daughter was thrilled she could take pictures of the seals in the bay. And we enjoyed the boats sailing by.The staff is very friendly, Jerome and Katie checked us in and called Baleen to make a reservation for us, so we wouldn't have to wait. Prices are very reasonable, especially since this hotel is at a great location. Free bikes, nice rooms, great weather. There is a $26 parking charge, but we are used to staying at a hotel that charges parking and resort fees. So we don't mind, plus valet is same price. I look foward staying at the hotel again.

Room Tip: 1st floor good for families, 2nd & 3rd floor great for a leisure trip by yourself or with your h...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacki S
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Jacki,
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate your refreshing feedback! It sounds like your family had a lovely trip. We are thrilled that your daughter was able to spend time with you as well. Thank you for taking a moment to leave such kind comments and constructive opinions. We love to hear about happy guests and their time at the hotel. Thank you for your remarks about parking fees and pricing. We will use your comments when updating our cost structures. We value your business and appreciate that you’ve stayed with us on multiple occasions.

Have a happy New Year!

San Diego, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Poor service, no usb to charge phones, no slippers, no toothpaste. extremely expensive valet AND self parking. Very old building. No ocean view on lower levels at all.

Very unfriendly staff. She wanted us to carry glasses to our room. What kind of service is that?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BehdadAnalui
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for notifying us of the concerns you experienced while staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to make our team aware. I am very sorry that you were not 100% satisfied. As always, our goal is to please all guests with wonderful service and amenities at all times.

If possible, please contact our Director of Rooms - Jacques Villeneuve at jvilleneuve@hotelportofino.com We would like to get a little more information from you, and repair the situation at once.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn

Been to The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel? Share your experiences!