“My only wish is that the front desk staff was friendlier.”

The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Eugene, Oregon
“My only wish is that the front desk staff was friendlier.”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I did not choose this hotel directly. I used priceline and was awarded this hotel after using name your own price. Pretty cool that I was only 1 mile down the beach when I searched for a nearby hotel. First impression the bell hop/ valet was extremely friendly and helpful. Found out their was a $25 parking fee. Which was ok. It was upon checking in and checking out the following day that I got a cold reception from the front desk. It was like they didn't like what I paid and wanted to make sure they were not very friendly. The room was clean, well stocked. The help around the hotel was friendly. For a "5" star hotel. I did not feel like a 5 star guest. Great location. The complimentary bikes were a highlight. It was fun to watch the sunset from their lobby and enjoy the complimentary lemonade.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RussandJayme
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Russ and Jayme, thank you for reviewing The Portofino Hotel & Marina. We apologize that you found the front desk a bit cold. We will look into this concern and make sure to use it as an opportunity for training. We receive many comments daily about their friendly nature. I can assure you, that approachability and positivity is expected from them. We are so happy you enjoyed our complimentary bikes! It sounds like you had a great time. We appreciate your patronage and hope to serve you again.

BALEENkitchen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a super calming place to stay. The hotel is on a jetty, with the marina on one side and the ocean on the other (more $$ for an ocean view). I suppose the marina side could be a bit noisier during the day because people are strolling around, but I didn't find it objectionable, even with all the windows open. My next-door neighbors had small, rambunctious children, but I didn't realize that until I opened the sliding-glass door, which speaks to how well the rooms are sound-proofed. My room was very large and almost suite-like. While the colors weren't my palette, the room appeared pretty up-to-date and was very very clean. The sheets were awesome -- crisp and cool! You can walk around the marina or over to the Redondo pier from here, or rent bikes and hit the beach bike trail, which runs from Torrance all the way up to Manhattan Beach, at least. But I opted to hang out on the balcony, read, enjoy the fresh air and relax.

The one downside: parking, which is a whopping $25/day. I really don't see any good reason for paid parking here, since access is already restricted.

I grew up near here, so I knew where this hotel was. However, if you're from out of town, be sure to get good directions as I imagine this would be very difficult to find otherwise.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave a beneficial review. We appreciate your kind comments about our restful location, sound proof rooms and hotel. We are so happy that your had a relaxing vacation. We understand your concerns about parking. The hotel parking charge is due to our proximity to the water and limited space and a portion of the cost is paid to the city. The parking fee we charge is standard for all full service hotels in the area. However, we will take your comments into consideration when planning future pricing structures. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We look forward to your next trip home.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were a family of four visiting LA. Did not realize how bad traffic was took forever to get anywhere. We liked the hotel but service is only fair. The rooms were extremely warm and we stayed for a week and they were working on the AC for the whole week. The marina view for most rooms is obstructed so we upgraded to Ocean side for $30 more/night. Glad we did the seals and nature was amazing loud but great. The staff were fair as well except for the valet always on the spot. The maids would come by every morning at 8am even on the morning that we checked out. The hotel is a bit dated but kept up well aesthetically except for the above.

Room Tip: upgrade to ocean side for $30 /night more
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dsmdoc
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate your concerns and will share them with our operations team. We apologize that the hotel was not cool enough. Our staff is diligently working to upgrade our system. We are thrilled you had a chance to experience the seals and nature! They are what make the hotel and area special. We hope that you are able to join us again. Thank you for your constructive review.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here only one night, but honestly would have loved to stay longer! Less than ten miles from LAX this was a gem! Beautiful views, the ocean view rooms are worth the upgrade. The hotel staff was accommodating and helpful, the rooms were very clean and the shower was terrific! Water pressure felt amazing after a long day. My boyfriend and I sat on the patio to watch the sunset with a bit of wine, truly a perfect end to the day.
If you are looking for a beach adventure and don't mind a short walk, there is a very nice beach just past the boardwalk and pier. It is off-season so many of the shops were not open when we walked by, but there was food to be had if you wanted it.
I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Book the ocean view 2nd floor or above. Definitely worth it for the sunsets alone.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Amber, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are thrilled that your boyfriend and you had a nice visit. It sounds like you were really able to relax and enjoy the area. We are so happy you had time to experience the sunset and a little wine. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We look forward to your next adventure in Redondo Beach!

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

This is truly a fantastic hotel. Great views, clean and well maintained and oh did I mention the views - they were excellent. 2 thumbs way up. Friendly staff (especially Jerome) made our stay that much more pleasant. I can go on and on about this wonderful hotel. Deserves to be a 5 star hotel. We had such a great time with the stay that we extended our vaca and came back and stayed 2 more nights, after our San Francisco trip. We highly recommend this hotel. Thanks, Portofino!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenny, thank you for visiting us all the way from Massachusetts! We are so happy that you were able to visit us and have time for a trip to SanFran! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to Jerome. He is a true gem. Thank you for taking time to review our property, we look forward to your next visit!

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Excellent customer service at check in! Sebastian and Katie were very helpful and knowledgable about surrounding area! It's hard to come by polite hospitable people these days! Enjoyed the room and happy hour at Baleen. Keep up the great service!

• Stayed December 2013
Jenna, thank you for the kind comments about the hotel, Katie and Sebastian. We will be sure to reward them for their service. We appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel, restaurant and staff. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I arrived early in the morning so I was happy when they were able to give a me a room at 8am in the morning. The restaurant and bar are across the road. Good views of the boats from the bar.
Food is good.
I received a suite, which was large, however, my associate had a normal which I didn't really like.
Reception were very friendly. I didn't see much of the area, as I was in meetings all day, but I thought it was a little remote, otherwise we would of gone to a different restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a the larger rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Mark, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and restaurant. We are thrilled that you joined us all the way from Melbourne, Australia!! When making a long trip to the US, we thank you for choosing our hotel. I am very happy that you were able to experience a suite. They views really speak for themselves! We hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn

Been to The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel? Share your experiences!