If I could give this place a 0 I would. I stayed at this hotel because one my best friends had her wedding there. When I first walked in, I was surprised that I had seen about 3 stars for this hotel, because it was beautiful. Modern design and right on the water. After staying one night there I completely understood. The customer service at this place was non-existent!
My biggest problem was my 5-year-old son getting his hand stuck in the elevator. He got his hand pulled into the elevator shaft while the door was closing. There were no sensors to stop the elevator and no button I could hit to close the door, so I had to try to manually pull the door closed as it continued to try to pull his hand into the elevator shaft. I had to pull the fire alarm to get the elevator to freeze because I couldn't get his hand out. I understand accidents happen, but the management was completely lacking in any compassion. The first manager, Sabastian, came up and told me "oh, he is fine". You don't tell a mother who just had to fight with an elevator door to keep her son's hand from being pulled into the shaft while he is screaming at the top of his lungs, "oh, he is fine". I didn't even get an apology until the following day from a different manager. This caused me to be late for the rehearsal cocktail reception for the wedding I was in that was being held on their premesis and my son, who was also in the wedding had to be picked up and brought to my in-laws by my husband because he was so upset. Despite all of the inconvenience this caused me, management did absolutely nothing to try to remedy the situation except offer my son a bag of ice. The only concern they showed was whether or not he was brought to the hospital, i'm sure because they were worried about being sued for the hospital billed, although not worried about it enough to act like compassionate human beings when a 5-year-old has been hurt on their property.
Aside from this experience, which was enough for me to ward everyone I know from staying at this hotel, every manager and front desk worker I encountered was rude. They nickel and dimed you for every little thing. Internet access, $11, parking, $25 a night, a pot of coffee, $10. I tried to call room service one night, no answer. I tried several times and finally gave up. My friend ordered a breakfast burrito, which was listed for $12 on the menu and then turned out to be $19 when they showed up at the door. The add-ons wouldn't have bothered me as much had their customer service not been so horrific. If a business that should pride themselves on good customer service can't even accomplish that, they should probably try to compensate in other areas.
We also waited waited for over an hour to be seated at their restaurant and then another 30 min. for the waitress to show up, who I will say was the only enjoyable person I encountered while there, but the wait was still outrageous.
Finally, we ordered two pots of coffee to the room where the bridal party was getting ready on the morning of the wedding, which took 2.5 hours to arrive and that was after myself and another bridesmaid went down twice to see what was going on. I would especially think that after my friend had all her wedding guests, wedding ceremony and reception, rehearsal and cocktail reception at this venue, they would try to be accommodating, but apparently not.
I'm sure I could come up with more, but this should be enough to convince you that the view is not worth the sacrifice in service! Especially for what they charge!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portofino Hotel & Marina is located on a private peninsula, Redondo beach’s only waterfront hotel. A rich tapestry of panoramic views greets you, with the harbor, the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. The hotel lies just six miles south of Los Angeles International Airport, a short stroll to shops and restaurants of Redondo Beach. We offer our guests an authentic Socal lifestyle experience in a casual nautical-chic environment, allowing them to relax and let loose, embracing their “endless summer “endlessly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel And Yacht
- Portofino Inn Redondo Beach
- Portofino Redondo Beach