“Absolutely miserable experience! Don't waste your money on this place!”

The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Batavia, New York, United States
“Absolutely miserable experience! Don't waste your money on this place!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If I could give this place a 0 I would. I stayed at this hotel because one my best friends had her wedding there. When I first walked in, I was surprised that I had seen about 3 stars for this hotel, because it was beautiful. Modern design and right on the water. After staying one night there I completely understood. The customer service at this place was non-existent!

My biggest problem was my 5-year-old son getting his hand stuck in the elevator. He got his hand pulled into the elevator shaft while the door was closing. There were no sensors to stop the elevator and no button I could hit to close the door, so I had to try to manually pull the door closed as it continued to try to pull his hand into the elevator shaft. I had to pull the fire alarm to get the elevator to freeze because I couldn't get his hand out. I understand accidents happen, but the management was completely lacking in any compassion. The first manager, Sabastian, came up and told me "oh, he is fine". You don't tell a mother who just had to fight with an elevator door to keep her son's hand from being pulled into the shaft while he is screaming at the top of his lungs, "oh, he is fine". I didn't even get an apology until the following day from a different manager. This caused me to be late for the rehearsal cocktail reception for the wedding I was in that was being held on their premesis and my son, who was also in the wedding had to be picked up and brought to my in-laws by my husband because he was so upset. Despite all of the inconvenience this caused me, management did absolutely nothing to try to remedy the situation except offer my son a bag of ice. The only concern they showed was whether or not he was brought to the hospital, i'm sure because they were worried about being sued for the hospital billed, although not worried about it enough to act like compassionate human beings when a 5-year-old has been hurt on their property.

Aside from this experience, which was enough for me to ward everyone I know from staying at this hotel, every manager and front desk worker I encountered was rude. They nickel and dimed you for every little thing. Internet access, $11, parking, $25 a night, a pot of coffee, $10. I tried to call room service one night, no answer. I tried several times and finally gave up. My friend ordered a breakfast burrito, which was listed for $12 on the menu and then turned out to be $19 when they showed up at the door. The add-ons wouldn't have bothered me as much had their customer service not been so horrific. If a business that should pride themselves on good customer service can't even accomplish that, they should probably try to compensate in other areas.

We also waited waited for over an hour to be seated at their restaurant and then another 30 min. for the waitress to show up, who I will say was the only enjoyable person I encountered while there, but the wait was still outrageous.

Finally, we ordered two pots of coffee to the room where the bridal party was getting ready on the morning of the wedding, which took 2.5 hours to arrive and that was after myself and another bridesmaid went down twice to see what was going on. I would especially think that after my friend had all her wedding guests, wedding ceremony and reception, rehearsal and cocktail reception at this venue, they would try to be accommodating, but apparently not.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but this should be enough to convince you that the view is not worth the sacrifice in service! Especially for what they charge!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kristin M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The rooms were lovely and it didn't hurt at all that the color scheme featured my favorite color! The hotel itself was decorated impeccably, and the ocean view was great! As an added attraction, the seals were entertaining, as well as watching the boats pass by. Awesome location, close enough to get to everything, but out of the way enough to relax. Top notch honor bar, robe and toiletries! Enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank peajai
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you! We are so happy you like the room colors and décor! It sounds like you were really able to relax. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and hope to serve you again soon.

Hilliard, OH
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I had an ocean view room and enjoyed it tremendously. The room was boutique style, clean with a wonderful view of the ocean. The staff was very professional and willing to accommodate your needs. We ordered room service our first evening and could not believe the promptness of the delivery, quality and quantity of the food. The property is well kept, with a lovely lounge area with an ocean view and business service center for your convenience. There is also a restaurant which is convenient but pricey.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the way to go but if you're a light sleeper you may want to use the ear plugs that...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bj2291
BJ,
Thank you for the kind comments! We are so happy you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay. It sounds like you had a great room. We are so pleased you enjoyed the staff and restaurant. We hope that if you’re out West again, you will come see us. Have a great remainder of you summer!

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Only stayed at the Portofino one night, during a spontaneous day trip to Redondo Beach, but I found loved it and will definitely go back. My room was super cute and clean, and I loved the Sea Lion plush toy waiting on the bed. The lobby/ communal area was absolutely gorgeous and offered nice ocean views. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a delicious brunch at the Baleen restaurant which is located next to the hotel and offers great marina views. And my absolute favorite feature was the free bike rentals so you can ride along the sand and explore the south bay. I wish I would've known about the sea lions and their feedings before I left because I would've loved seeing them but I plan on going back so I guess I'll just have to wait until next time. And on my next stay I will be coming back with that adorable Sea Lion plush toy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Evelyn B
Evelyn,
Thank you for the FANTASTIC review! Your comments are so sweet and very much appreciated. We are thrilled you enjoyed your impromptu stay in Redondo Beach and hope to serve you again soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We recently spent 9 nights at this hotel, we did try to leave early but because we had paid upfront with expedia we were told we would have to contact them about getting money back!! when you are charged €11 per day to use the internet wasnt prepared to do this so we asked to be moved, but was told that would cost nother €25 a night to upgrade. The room was toooooo small for a family of four and to be honest for health and safety they shouldn't be allowed to put a family in such small rooms!! Location was ok if you headed to hermosa or manhattan beach, but redondo beach is terrible, the attached resturant was very expensive, so head to Joe's Crab Shack or Cheesecake Factory. A lot of weddings took place whilst we were there so I wonder if this is their main source of income (and the uests get the rooms)! The free bikes was thir saving grace... Would I recommend this hotel?? For one night only.. Staff were lovely but hotel needs to address its pricing!

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank trixiehi
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciated your comments and will use them to make decisions for the hotel’s future. We find that our pricing structure is comparable with the other full service hotels in the area. We are thrilled you enjoyed our staff and the complimentary bikes. We hope that you were able to explore the area. We are also happy to report that Redondo Beach and the pier are getting a full makeover. We are very excited for the cities changes to come. We hope that you are able to join us again. We appreciate your long stay and hope that you’ll make it back to Redondo Beach again one day. Thank you!

New Jersey
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Clean, lovely communal reception/living room area. Room clean, but small. Not enough drawer space. Marina view looks directly over a parking lot. Baleen Kitchen restaurant is convenient but pricey. Fitness room needs rehab.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your constructive comments and will use your feedback when making decisions about the property. We apologize that your marina view also overlooked the parking lot. We hope that if you join us again, you can take advantage of the Ocean view rooms. They offer optimal views of the area. We hope that we can serve you again soon. Have a great remainder of your summer!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We recently stayed a night at The Portofino. While everyone there was very pleasant and helpful and obviously trying to make our stay nice nothing could make up for the fact that our Marina View room was overlooking not the "tranquil marina" as promised but rather a busy parking lot and scruffy marina with a huge power plant towering over it. There is a hideous painted wall trying to hide it but that is a joke! I think the hotel's description is very misleading and it is extremely overpriced. The room itself was old fashioned even though obviously renovated, not our taste. We stayed in 3 different hotels on our trip, The Beach House at Hermosa and Jamaica Bay at Marina Del Rey and the Portofino was nowhere near the quality of the other two but very similarly priced.We also did not like Redondo Beach, noisy, shabby, smelly - the one saving grace - we skipped dinner at the hotel and went to The Cheesecake Factory where we had fantastic food with a great barman "Jeff"!

Room Tip: For a decent view you must have an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SarahK054
AnneliseHolyoak, Public Relations Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and helpful comments. We appreciate your observations about the energy building and understand it can be an eyesore. It however provides Redondo Beach with electricity. We do recommend that if you stay with us again, you book an Oceanside room. They offer optimal views of the water. We hope that if you’re able to return to the hotel we can improve your stay. Please contact me directly if you choose to stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn

Been to The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel? Share your experiences!