First the pros: great location, good value, and a front desk manager who cares.
Recently I stayed for 4 nights on Priceline/Hotwire bids, and asked for and received early check-in, a room on the 3rd floor, and was able to get an ocean view for a nominal fee.
The location on the harbor was perfect, other reviewers complain about the seals' noise but one is after all by the ocean - personally I found the setting overall very relaxing and convenient.
Value was good given what I paid vs. the rack rates.
I have to give a compliment to Sebastian (front desk manager), who remedied a service issue by comping lunch and offering a free movie. He demonstrated great customer service and is a valuable asset to the hotel and its customers.
On the minus side, rooms with connecting doors have thin walls and one can easily hear conversations in the other room, so I would recommend getting a non-adjoining room.
Also, overall service was very uneven - one morning I did not get the wake-up call that I requested, and was not told about cable TV maintenance that was scheduled, so TV reception was suddenly interrupted for an hour without warning (also accompanied by intermittent thumping on the roof). I was told by a flyer under my door that there would be an interruption in water service one day but when I called the front desk, I was told not to worry about it. So I was told about planned maintenance that didn't happen and was not told about planned maintenance that did happen. Housekeeping knocked on my door a few times even though I had the "Do not disturb" sign on the door. Finally, while my lunch was comped, the food quality was middling (don't order the fries unless you like grease).
In sum - ok, YMMV.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portofino Hotel & Marina is located on a private peninsula, Redondo beach’s only waterfront hotel. A rich tapestry of panoramic views greets you, with the harbor, the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. The hotel lies just six miles south of Los Angeles International Airport, a short stroll to shops and restaurants of Redondo Beach. We offer our guests an authentic Socal lifestyle experience in a casual nautical-chic environment, allowing them to relax and let loose, embracing their “endless summer “endlessly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel And Yacht
- Portofino Inn Redondo Beach
- Portofino Redondo Beach