“Good the hotel quite near airport and away from downtown LA”

Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Arrived here for business trip staying for 3 nights.

I don't know what other rooms are like but mine was in the top floor with a balcony view looking out to the Pacific. Whole atmosphere of hotel quiet and calm, especially compared with staying in downtown LA.

Room comfortable with fridge provided, good size, ironing board for those creased shirts and good desk area.

All staff very friendly and attentive and room itself clean and comfortable (though it can be quite a walk to the lifts). Area around hotel also very civilised with Wholefoods two blocks up the road and lots of restaurants nearby.

J

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Michael P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Many thanks for your very nice review, and so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed for 8 days of which I was enjoying a nice view of the pool and the ocean together. The rooms are spacious and have warm colors. The hotel's location is excellent as you won't feel bored due to the many attractions you have access to near the beach, not to mention the many supermarkets and restaurants in a few minutes driving/walking distance. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Their parking rates are 23-27 dollars per day, be sure to tell them in advance if you're not goi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Majid R

Many thanks for your very nice comments, do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel was fine. Valet was great! I had a big truck and they took great care of it...The view from our room was nice and provided us a beautiful sunset.

The downside for me was the location of the beach relative to where the hotel was. Its not exactly easy to make a simple trip to the beach with smaller kids. I should have planned that one a little better. If you have children that will want to visit the beach you might consider the logistics of getting there. When you get there its likely going to be crowded.

Room Tip: Upper floors will give you great ocean views and sunsets.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NavyDevilDoc

Glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here overall, and thank you for your nice comments regarding the valet service, which I will pass on to them.
I would guess that you stayed with us recently at the height of our summer season, and yes, the beach can get crowded, especially during weekends. It is much quieter now that school is back in session.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Perfect location for anyone wanting to be close by far way from the LA airport... ideally situated with loads of things to see and excellent restaurants all within walking distance from the Crown Plaza.
The hotel is very good, just be renovated and the rooms are very neat and tidy , the best of course are those situated at the front overlooking the marinia / ruby's restaurant...
Great views , relaxing especially when you hear the local seals erousing....
Always stay here between flights, service is great, people are generally friendly.
You can hire bikes and ride all around the area, very safe and as I mentioned very quiet considering all the local ammenities....

Room Tip: As I mentioned, best are those front rooms....I think for example room numbers like 2000-2004, 4000...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and great observation regarding the safety of the area here.
Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

A nice place that looks like it could stand a little refurbishing.

Positives:
- Nice staff (except for one snotty woman); they shipped me (at my expense) a pair of pants I inadvertently left there, so that's an extra half star.
- Safe, big enough for a laptop, in the closet.
- Comfortable bed.
- Fridge in the room.
- Free bike rental with the ocean view room (though the bikes look like something out of "Peewee's Bid Adventure," with handlebars out to here and foot brakes). If you ride the bike up the street a few blocks, you can access the bike path that starts at Hermosa Beach, and continues all the way to Santa Monica.

Negatives:
- There's a foghorn that toots every 10 seconds, 24 hours a day. I'm not exaggerating. I suspect some hotel guests may have been driven insane by it. If the air conditioner is on, it drowns out the horn...to an extent.
- The room service menu had choices on it that weren't available. The one time I ordered, I was told first one item, then a second item, weren't available. I found myself asking, "Well, what DO you have?"
- The ocean view isn't really what you'd expect. Yes, you can glimpse the ocean, but you're not on the beach. Also, the walk from the elevator to that side of the hotel is long.
- The club room is a joke at happy hour, with about five diner-like tables and a very limited and small selection of fruit pieces, cheese pieces, and wine. Breakfast was much better. It's closed during the day, though, even for coffee. The best part is the woman who tends the place; she is super-friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: The ocean view suites are nice, but they're a long, long walk from the elevator, and you probabl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your detailed observations. I did have a laugh about the bike, yes they are beach cruisers, not racers!
I am concerned about the fog horn; honestly, I have never heard guests complain about that before. We will look into that, along with the lack of availability of room service items and the food in the evenings at concierge lounge. These are designed to be light snacks.
I will also pass on your compliment to Rebecca, our concierge lounge attendant.
Thank you again.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was a very nice hotel. Grand lobby. Pool and hot tub on the roof. Nice locker rooms and saunas available for guest use. That said, you will pay for it. We got a great rate, but then paid $23 per night for self parking in the lot (valet is a few dollars more), internet is another $11 a day, no free breakfast. Room service prices are fair. However, they tag on 17% tip, plus a $3.50 per person charge. So your meal ends up way more expensive than you expect.

They say that given the area, that the parking fee is fair and inevitable. BUT the hotel right across the street offers very nice rooms, a pool and hot tub (granted, not rooftop), free internet, free parking, free breakfast. We will go there in the future. I have seen people say to use street parking, but it is all metered. So you have to figure out what hours you have to pay for, and keep returning to the meter every few hours.

Also, there was a wedding there on Saturday night. Which is fine...you expect that at a nice venue. But the noise and the bass of the music reverberated through the whole hotel so loudly that sleep was impossible. And it went on until 1am. I think 11pm would have been reasonable, or if the hotel would have asked them to just turn the bass part down a bit. So they inconvenienced ALL their guests to accommodate the wedding.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The only negative comments on the rooms are that the a/c fan kept switching back to "auto" after we set the fan to "low." We did this to stop it cycling on and off all night (it is loud). Also, the bathroom doors are kind of weird. They are like floor to ceiling saloon doors, and always seemed to be in the way. A regular door or a pocket door would have been better choices.

So the Crowne Plaza is very nice. If you don't care about all the extra charges, stay here. The amounts ended up to be only a couple of hundred dollars extra...not huge...but it is irritating to have to pay for things that others provide complimentary. I think a lot of business people on expense accounts stay here, so they would not necessarily care.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your comments regarding your stay. Please note that the internet fee can be waived if you join or are a member of our IHG Rewards program; membership is totally free.
Also the hotel across the street is limited service, similar to our own Holiday Inn Express, that does affect the charges that you mention.
Sorry about the wedding noise; we do try to strike a balance between the guests having fun at the wedding and the peace and quiet of our own guests staying here.
Do hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Where do I start with this review? I have waited a few weeks to let time pass to see if I would be able to look back and laugh at the comedy, but unfortunately, I still feel very upset and angry at the experience. I booked Crowne Plaza as an international brand with a good reputation and we have staying in many good CP hotels over the years. We were staying for 5 nights so we booked the top Executive Room with sea view and club room access. We requested two extra beds for our children when we booked, two months ahead of our visit. Here is how it went:

1. The Room: on check in, we were informed that they could only put one extra bed in the room and that our daughter could sleep on some blankets on the floor. They said the hotel was full but that they would move us to a room with two queen beds the next day and that we could have an extra bed. We weren't happy, but accepted on the basis of the move the next day. When we saw the room, it was really nice, very big and clean........with plenty of room for two rollaway beds.....but it was no go, apparently due to "California law".....but we managed fine with two rollaways in one room all holiday before this.

The next day we went to change our room but saw a different person on reception who then said that we couldn't have any extra bed in a room with two queen beds......so our problem was still not resolved. It was even suggested that my 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter share a bed which is what "other families do". Again, they wouldn't move with the bed situation so my daughter spent another night in a blanket bed.

After three nights, we finally got moved to a suite and they refunded a night, but by this stage, it was really too little too late.

2. The Club Lounge: we booked and paid extra for the facility of a club lounge for breakfast and a quiet after dinner drink. Unfortunately we were unable to use the club at any point during our stay. On arrival we were informed that the Club is closed at the weekend. We were given vouchers for breakfast in the restaurant on Sunday morning which was fine. On Monday, we got up and headed for breakfast at 9.30am, only to find the club lounge closed. We were then informed that it is only open for four hours per day, from 7 till 9 in the morning and 5 till 7 in the afternoon. We were on vacation and didn't want to be getting up early every day, and we were not normally back from our trips to use the lounge at 5pm. After lots of argument, we were given vouchers so we could have breakfast in the restaurant. but we still feel the whole point of booking a club room had been missed. Apparently, the reason for the short hours, which I have never come across before in an hotel, is because they can't afford to pay more than one member of staff who works these limited hours.

3. SERVICE: There are some nice members of staff (valet parking, restaurant, bell boy) but most of the reception staff are surly, not smiling, unhelpful and rude (one or two exceptions). We requested to speak to the manager but he was always "off duty", "in meetings" and the promised call backs never materialised. Eventually, on day four, we spotted him behind reception.......it was at this point we were able to move rooms and have one night refund. He promised to fix things for others, but we will see.....

4. EXTRA CHARGES
Now the reason that I call this place the budget airline hotel. You start with the base price you book at and then add:
(a) Parking charges - $27 per night and only slightly less for self parking I believe;
(b) internet charges - although as an IHG loyalty scheme member, this was complementary for us;
(c) 4% at the spa for the priviledge of charging to my room rather than paying cash/credit card at the time.....I have never come across this before and hadn't taken card/cash with me. Not a huge amount but annoying.

Overall, this is a nice looking hotel with big rooms. It is clean. Great locations convenient for all of LA and with great restaurants such as Joe's Crabshack within 5 mins. However, until pricing, service, club lounge, family rooms etc are sorted, the rest is wasted. We were really disappointed and it was not the relaxing hotel we hoped to end our holiday.

To put this in context, this is my first "terrible rating" on Tripadvisor - we normally do try to see the good in things.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sunnygirl1001

I apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay. Rather than respond to every one of them, please trust me when I say that we take every review seriously and will follow up on every point raised. Just a couple of clarifications; the hours of the concerge lounge are similar to all hotels which provide this amenity for guests. I am also perplexed by the comment about the manager being off duty because we always have someone in charge 24-7.
The 4% charge from the spa is an internal accounting procedure and does not have any impact on our guests charging to the room; if you charge $100, you will see a $100 charge on your guest folio at check out. We will follow up accordingly with the spa personnel to ensure that they understand this.
Again, please accept my apologies for your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina? Share your experiences!