“Wonderful get-a-way”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Wonderful get-a-way”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a last minute booking. We just wanted something by the beach and I did this as a blind booking. I had never thought of Redondo Beach as a romantic destination but it was truly wonderful. The hotel is located directly across the street from the Marina and Harbor. It is a 5 minute walk in either direction to some amazing restaurants. The pool is not fancy . . . but it sits upon the roof top and has some amazing views of the city lights. Most rooms are ocean view but we got a back room which is okay because we walked around the marina most of the time any way.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael P, Manager at Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I am glad to hear that you had a nice, romantic get-away here in Redondo Beach. I am glad to hear that you were able to explore the area and find some wonderful restaurants to dine at as there is lots of "hidden treasures" here immediately outside of our front door. As you mention, 85% of our guestrooms have a wonderful water/marina view, and the other 15% do have an attractive city view which highlights the architecture of the city. Please come back and visit us again soon. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Crowne Plaza is a beautiful hotel with fantastic staff. That is the stand out thing for me regarding the four days I stayed here with my two oldest children. I travel quite a bit for work and customer service at a hotel is very important to me. From the front desk staff to valets and room service delivery staff everyone was well trained professional and appeared to really care about us as individuals - and treated us like guests.

The room was very comfortable and I loved the little balcony with a partial view of the ocean. The location is great because there are restaurants and beaches within walking distance.

My only complaint is that housekeeping skipped cleaning our room twice. We came back to find a do not disturb sign on the door that we did not leave there and so the room had been skipped for a daily cleaning. Since we didn't spend too much time in the room that wasn't a huge problem.

For the price this is a very nice place. I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am so glad to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us here in Redondo Beach. I appreciate your comments about the professionalism and friendliness of our staff - I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate departments. Our location is idea, with so much to see and do within walking distance - I am glad that you had the chance to take advantage of the area. With that being said, I am sorry to learn that your room was not serviced for two days of your stay. This is concerning and something that will be addressed with our Director of Housekeeping immediately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope to see you again soon for another family vacation!
Honolulu
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel has been recently remodeled and it definitely shows in the room. My room was on the fourth floor, facing town. The room was gorgeously appointed and had a feature I adored as a reader: a small, personal reading light at each end of the king size bed. Finally, a hotel willing to accomodate readers when adequate lighting works against them (dim light lighting in hotel rooms helps hide any rough edges)!
But enough about that. The common areas, including the hallways (which can only be described as "twee"), have a somewhat over-rought elegance about them. It just seems all just one rhinestone too much for a beach-side hotel that does not have rocking chairs on a veranda facing a ocean not intermediated by two lanes of black-top.
Some will complain about the $23 per night parking charge, but it does seem justified given the surrounding environment (and if you are sort for which $23 is worth an iota emotion, I'm sure the management would like to refer to the Best Western across the street!). All kidding aside, it is a high charge, but if you can snag this place on hotwire or priceline for less than $100, the parking charge is not unreasonable if you consider the price tag as the whole.
Wireless internet? That'll be another $10. But at least the gym next door is free with your room key.
The place seems to be a favorite with pilots and stewardesses, a good sign of quality and/or a deep discount (and not necessarily both).
The location is excellent, walking distance to many good restaurants as well as the cornucopia of the fishing pier.
In sum, I had a good night's sleep in a modern room for a good value. But why does that feel like I'm *darning* them with faint praise?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us from your recent stay. We are very pleased with our recently completed renovation and are glad that you enjoyed the bedside reading lights, among some of the other amenities that the hotel has to offer. Although we do charge for parking, you are absolutely correct in that parking is at a premium here in the beach cities. Our prices are very comparable (if not more reasonable) to the other full service hotels in the area. I am glad that you had an opportunity to explore the area, for as you mentioned, there is much to see and do in the immediate area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.
College Station, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I had a great stay at this hotel a week or so ago. The rooms are clean, the hotel is well maintained and the front desk personnel were very courteous and helpful. Even though they could not provide us with a room with 2 double beds the first night we checked in (they did provide a roll-away), the gave us a room early the next morning. It was evident that the hotel staff are professional and understand what it takes to provide great customer service. The location is terrific just a few steps away from the beach. I would strongly recommend this hotel for the value. We did not make use of the hotel breakfast and so cannot comment on it

Room Tip: Even the rooms that are listed as not having a beach view still has views of the pool area and porti...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Michael P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thanks for your nice review, and glad that we were able to resolve your bed type request for you.
Do hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I came here on business and stayed over two nights. The hotel location is great, you have the marina and the beach just a few 100 meters away. Clean room and comfortable bed although the pillows are too big and give you neck pain. I found the staff at the reception quite rude, careless and uninterested barely completing their duty... shame.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I am truly sorry that you found our service at the front desk to be below par. Many reviewers do comment on their positive experience interacting with the front desk. I will certainly review your comments with our Front Office Manager.
Glad your stay was positive otherwise and I do hope that you will return to us again in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed three nights and checked out the area. The hotel is nicely renovated and it was nice to have a heated pool ( not that heated, I thought it was cold). Redondo is nice but had I'd known about the proximity to beaches and that ugly eyesore of a power plant right next door, I would have chosen to stay in another beach town. If you're traveling on business, this hotel is great. Vacation, I would reconsider unless you are into the marina. The shops on the pier have really gone down hill. It's a shame. The lagoon across the hotel is cool for the kids ( $6.00 adults, $5.00 kids all day) fun playground since its the closest thing to a beach within walking distance. We went into the restaurant Splash and only three were there at the bar. We thought the place was closed and it was 5pm on a Saturday, Not a good sign.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Glad that you and your family had a good stay with us, and enjoyed the service provided by our staff. I know, we do get comments regarding the power plant; not much that we can do about that, but you may be interested to know that there is a $300 million redevelopment being planned for the Redondo Beach Pier. This would totally renovate the surrounding area with upscale restaurants, movie theaters, and the like, including a total remake of the lagoon area across the street from us.
I do hope you will come back again soon!
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a nice hotel to stay at. We had a seaview room with a small balcony, overlooking the quaint harbour and pier. We had just arrived from a long flight and the place is nice and airy, with a huge lobby. Colours were not really my taste, nor were the beds - but that's a really personal thing. The view was wonderful. We did not visit the town, so I don't have much to say about distances. Staff was friendly, and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
So glad that you had a good stay with us here and enjoyed the service from the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. Sorry the decor of the room wasn't to your liking; we tried to evoke a beach theme with sand and surf colors as part of our $17 million renovation project.
Do hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon here.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Redondo Beach

Been to Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina? Share your experiences!