“Not the Best”

Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Reviewed February 9, 2008

Happenings at the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach Hotel
1. Upon arrival there was no room reservations for the wife and me* Was told to have a seat in the lounge area, and they would deal with our problem later. Forty five minutes later we were still waiting no one really was concerned! This is not acceptable.
2. A room was finally found. We tried to enter the room and it was occupied.*
The front desk found my wife’s name as an occupant of this room.
3. Another room was found and we checked in.
4. Our room was not cleaned on the third day. Someone had placed a do not disturb sign on our door and housekeeping complied. In fact they left a voice message on the phone indicating they were ready to clean the room when we returned. I tried to retrieve the message using the instructions on the phone and could not. I called the front desk and they sent a person to help. He could not or would not explain how I was to know that by pressing 55 on the keyboard I could retrieve the message. Anyway house keeping came by left us some clean towels, coffee, and soap. I mentioned the dial 55 mystery to the front desk along with an inability to set the clock radios in our room. The response--, yea we know. No one can set the clocks and maybe we should say something about the 55 issue.
5. 2:00 AM 1 January. Fire alarm. Drunks in the hall.*
6. 2 January returned to room around noon; couldn’t open door. Housekeeping said we had checked out. Front desk said all 100 on tour were scheduled for checkout on the 2nd. Re-keyed my cards, house cleaning cleaned the room and life went on.*
7. 3 January 4:20 AM. The bell man started picking up luggage. Scheduled time was 5:00 AM* Luggage was taken to the lobby, segregated by floor and not moved to or loaded on the bus.*

The hotel is a beautiful facility at an ideal location. Although we enjoyed our stay it was far from outstanding. A redefined focus on the customer as someone other than a money source might help! .

Reviewed November 14, 2007

The room was clean and quite nice. No complaints about the room quality. Hotwire's 3 star rating is accurate.

Our room, #3026, was right above the hotel's loading dock. No need for a wake up call in this part of the hotel. You'll be awake by 6:30 am. The delivery/garbage trucks were very noisy.

There is no LAX to hotel shuttle and a taxi costs about $25 one way. I rented a car for less than a taxi ride including the hotel's $16.00 per day parking charge. Our$69 rate was really $85. After taxes and parking it was a $99 room. We stayed only one night.

You pay extra for things like internet access too.

The staff was friendly and efficient. We really only needed a place for the night before our trip to Maui. We didn't take advantage of the hotel's amenities.

It is a short walk to the marina and the many shops there. There were also a few restaurants there too. It was a good place to get a fresh fish lunch.

Hotwire says it's 5.5 miles from LAX. It's really 7.5 miles. I would recommend the hotel at Hotwire's price, if there were a hotel shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank tuffguppy
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I spent one night here and overall was pleased. I found the bed to be comfortable, the room was a decent size, hallways were quiet and the "city view" was lovely. Also it was a short pleasant walk to the Redondo pier and beach.

On the downside:
- room wasn't very clean (carpet was quite stained and I found hairs in the tub)
- internet access is not free (although I managed to pick up a weak wifi signal for an open/free network)
- parking is a total ripoff at $16... particularly considering when I checked out at 8:45AM the garage was unattended with the exit arm raised allowing cars to drive out without paying (had I not informed the hotel on check in that I had a car, I would not have been billed)
- check in time is 4pm. I arrived at 4:05 and after waiting in line for at least 15 mins (there was only one person behind the counter - at check-in time no less!) I was told to "come back in 20 minutes" as they were still cleaning the rooms. I was quite put off by this. I noticed the lobby was filled with departing British Airways flight attendants and pilots. Regular checkout time is noon but I imagine they allowed the crew to stay longer which is why there were no clean rooms available at checkin time for us regular folks. Not cool.

After spending a horrible night at the Best Western Redondo on the PCH (currently rated #1 - WHAT?!?) I bid $67 on Priceline for a 3* in Redondo/Manhattan area fully expecting to win the Crowne Plaza. Even with the parking charge, it was a good value. I don't think it's worth the amount the hotel charges directly however unless you want ocean view (when non-Priceline guests were checking in they were asked if they wanted an ocean view for no additional charge).

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 16, 2007

2 night stay, $200/night and room NEVER cleaned. Called the front desk and was actually ASKED if I wanted my room cleaned! NEVER asked how my stay was at checkout.

Go to the Best Western across the street.....at least the WiFi is free

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 15, 2007

The Crowne Plaza has so much unachieved potential that it is truly sad. With the proper management, it could be turned into a solid 4 star property, but with its current phantom staff, it rates about a 2, including generous bonus points for free Gold's Gym access and the lovely Maria Elena, its stellar chief concierge.

The property is situated across the street from the Redondo Beach marina, so it has more of a sailing vessel than ocean ambience, with rather distant Pacific views from the 2nd floor pool terrace and some rooms without obstructions on higher floors. You have to walk about 10 minutes to hear the surf at the marina boarwalk, south of the hotel, as there is a barrier wall encasing the marina.

The lobby of the Crowne Plaza is rather ornate, with a fish tank and large floral arrangements adorning tables with huge mirrors. The bellhops and outdoor staff might as well be mute, however, and they seem to have their eyes permanently cast towards the ground. The room to which I was assigned on the third floor on the southernmost part of the building was overlooking the pool and had an ocean view from the balcony. However, the rat trap and hundreds of cigarette butts sitting in the balcony's foliage immediately turned me off to sitting on the rather old, cheap chairs outside.

I subsequently felt a need to monitor possible rodent entry when I was forced to open the unscreened balcony door to cool down the room. It was typical LA fall weather, with warm, sunny days and cool nights, but the Crowne Plaza keeps its "auto" override to any thermostat setting you choose at a constant 74 degrees, rendering the room rather stuffy and uncomfortable.

The bathroom doesn't have a fan, so I had to leave the balcony door open in order not to get a sauna effect when I showered. The room's furnishings were worn, the towels rough and thin, the beds weren't very comfortable, and the carpet appeared dirty, with dust accumulations in all the corners. The double bed I didn't use had a very apparent blood stain on the bedskirt. The Zenith TV was outdated, though the movie selection was very good. The rainforest shower was installed so low that I had difficulty positioning it at 5'9"; I only wondered what sort of contortions a tall man would suffer to use this improperly placed upgrade. A retractable clothesline was a nice touch for sink-laundered gym clothes and bathing suits, and I noticed a sign for a guest laundry on the second floor.

The spa on the 2nd floor was staffed by nice enough non-English-speaking women who just didn't have the proper manner or touch. Privacy is a real issue, as the staff person had to escort me in a flimsy robe across the main hotel corridor to the pool locker rooms to shower off a body polish. Services seemed inexpensive, but the quality of the staff is way below what one would expect at a good spa. Exfoliation scrubs felt like sandpaper, and the uncomfortable massage I received left me with bruises. Plus, the masseusse used my session to complain about the greedy owner, rendering the session way less than relaxing. She didn't even thank me when I wrote an 18% gratuity on my credit card receipt, as if she deserved more for her less than professional service.

The Gold's Gym next door adjacent to the parking garage is the best part of a Crowne Plaza stay. I took three classes while I was there, all gratis, and the broad range of equipment is great for individual workouts as well. The best feature is that it's opened 24/7, so that jet-lagged easterners can use it on their own biorhythms while they adjust to Pacific time. You can even get a class schedule online to plan your visit, with classes ranging from step to yoga, power sculpting to spinning. They had a kid's waiting room as well.

The concierge, Maria Elena, was knowledgeable and very friendly, but when she wasn't on duty, her staff ranged from curt to inept. The concierge desk also maintains tennis racquets, and the gift shop sells cans of balls if you wish to utilze the court adjacent to the small pool on the second floor. The small jacuzzi was dingy and uninviting, and like the pool, in need of a painting. A huge sundeck had strappy white chaises and lots of wasted space, as it sits on top of the garage.

Nearby is the pier and boardwalk, with a small beach amidst mostly ships. I was encouraged to walk towards Hermosa Beach for a better beach-walking experience, but I never found the time. Across from the hotel is a Ruby's [California ice cream diner], a Cheesecake Factory and an Italian restaurant. There are more at the pier.

On the last morning of my stay, I smelled a very odiferous stench of marijuana when I walked by the room next to the elevator, and when I alerted the front desk, I was told security would check into it, but the clerk seemed thoroughly unmoved by the disclosure. Considering small children were having to linger next to the elevator bank, this situation was neither pleasant nor classy. I got the hotel through my rock bottom priceline bid. If I had paid the $189 rack rate quoted to a walk-in couple I overheard, I definitely would have felt taken. An abundance of airline personnel stay at the property, and many local parties are conducted in the ballrooms, both of which must supply steady sources of revenue.

The general staff members were unfriendly and underwhelming in all respects, and I was charged $3 for a couple minutes in the business center, which I found was the 15 minute rate. They do not charge for printing boarding passes, however. Oh, and the $16 a night parking charge was a bit outrageous, but there is really no convenient alternative on the street, as the hotel, parking garage and gym consume a huge block, and marina parking is monitored.

The travel time to LAX is probably under 15 minutes, and I got to the USC campus, just south of downtown, in about 35 minutes most attempts. However, there are many better priceline values at true 4- star choices downtown and in other LA areas, so I would explore those before staying at the Crowne Plaza ever again.

Stayed: October 2007
7  Thank DC_World_Traveler
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This is your average Crowne Plaza. We arrived at around 11PM. Check in was easy enough, and the gentleman checking us in was polite and answered all our questions. The room was clean & the beds were comfortable enough. We had a non-smoking room, but they have smoking rooms on the same floor, so the hallway reeked of cigarettes.

They charge $16 per day to park in the parking garage which is also open to the public, so sometimes it was quite difficult to find a spot. Also, it is quite a trek to our room. They also have valet for $20.

They also charge for internet. The more you pay for a room the more the nickel & dime you. The Best Western across the street offers Free internet, parking & breakfast!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Lissete
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We used priority club points for our 3 night stay at this hotel so I can't really comment on whether it's worth a certain amount etc.. But here's the rest-

Oddly compared to other posters, I thought the service was one of the hotel's BEST features. Everyone was extremely friendly to us. Bad timing- the hotel's room locks were down and had to be replaced while we were there so security had to meet us at the room every time (only 1 day though). Not their fault, handled well.

You can rent bikes and ride up the beach, highly recommend. They also have a salon there that had inexpensive facials and massages which was great. $70 for an hour massage.

Our room was fine, bed above average not divine. bathrooms slightly small and dark. but overall new and a very comfortable place to stay. great ocean view from our room, try to work w/the hotel directly on this if it's important to you.

A bit of a bustling place, so don't count on a quiet visit. The pool was just a pool on the roof, big w/a jacuzzi, nothing special.

I am pretty picky, not the best place we've stayed but for the area I'd stay there again. Not a whole lot to complain about here.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gwen7g
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles Redondo Beach

Been to Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina? Share your experiences!