“Room never cleaned!”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Wash DC
“Room never cleaned!”
Reviewed October 16, 2007

2 night stay, $200/night and room NEVER cleaned. Called the front desk and was actually ASKED if I wanted my room cleaned! NEVER asked how my stay was at checkout.

Go to the Best Western across the street.....at least the WiFi is free

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of service
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 15, 2007

The Crowne Plaza has so much unachieved potential that it is truly sad. With the proper management, it could be turned into a solid 4 star property, but with its current phantom staff, it rates about a 2, including generous bonus points for free Gold's Gym access and the lovely Maria Elena, its stellar chief concierge.

The property is situated across the street from the Redondo Beach marina, so it has more of a sailing vessel than ocean ambience, with rather distant Pacific views from the 2nd floor pool terrace and some rooms without obstructions on higher floors. You have to walk about 10 minutes to hear the surf at the marina boarwalk, south of the hotel, as there is a barrier wall encasing the marina.

The lobby of the Crowne Plaza is rather ornate, with a fish tank and large floral arrangements adorning tables with huge mirrors. The bellhops and outdoor staff might as well be mute, however, and they seem to have their eyes permanently cast towards the ground. The room to which I was assigned on the third floor on the southernmost part of the building was overlooking the pool and had an ocean view from the balcony. However, the rat trap and hundreds of cigarette butts sitting in the balcony's foliage immediately turned me off to sitting on the rather old, cheap chairs outside.

I subsequently felt a need to monitor possible rodent entry when I was forced to open the unscreened balcony door to cool down the room. It was typical LA fall weather, with warm, sunny days and cool nights, but the Crowne Plaza keeps its "auto" override to any thermostat setting you choose at a constant 74 degrees, rendering the room rather stuffy and uncomfortable.

The bathroom doesn't have a fan, so I had to leave the balcony door open in order not to get a sauna effect when I showered. The room's furnishings were worn, the towels rough and thin, the beds weren't very comfortable, and the carpet appeared dirty, with dust accumulations in all the corners. The double bed I didn't use had a very apparent blood stain on the bedskirt. The Zenith TV was outdated, though the movie selection was very good. The rainforest shower was installed so low that I had difficulty positioning it at 5'9"; I only wondered what sort of contortions a tall man would suffer to use this improperly placed upgrade. A retractable clothesline was a nice touch for sink-laundered gym clothes and bathing suits, and I noticed a sign for a guest laundry on the second floor.

The spa on the 2nd floor was staffed by nice enough non-English-speaking women who just didn't have the proper manner or touch. Privacy is a real issue, as the staff person had to escort me in a flimsy robe across the main hotel corridor to the pool locker rooms to shower off a body polish. Services seemed inexpensive, but the quality of the staff is way below what one would expect at a good spa. Exfoliation scrubs felt like sandpaper, and the uncomfortable massage I received left me with bruises. Plus, the masseusse used my session to complain about the greedy owner, rendering the session way less than relaxing. She didn't even thank me when I wrote an 18% gratuity on my credit card receipt, as if she deserved more for her less than professional service.

The Gold's Gym next door adjacent to the parking garage is the best part of a Crowne Plaza stay. I took three classes while I was there, all gratis, and the broad range of equipment is great for individual workouts as well. The best feature is that it's opened 24/7, so that jet-lagged easterners can use it on their own biorhythms while they adjust to Pacific time. You can even get a class schedule online to plan your visit, with classes ranging from step to yoga, power sculpting to spinning. They had a kid's waiting room as well.

The concierge, Maria Elena, was knowledgeable and very friendly, but when she wasn't on duty, her staff ranged from curt to inept. The concierge desk also maintains tennis racquets, and the gift shop sells cans of balls if you wish to utilze the court adjacent to the small pool on the second floor. The small jacuzzi was dingy and uninviting, and like the pool, in need of a painting. A huge sundeck had strappy white chaises and lots of wasted space, as it sits on top of the garage.

Nearby is the pier and boardwalk, with a small beach amidst mostly ships. I was encouraged to walk towards Hermosa Beach for a better beach-walking experience, but I never found the time. Across from the hotel is a Ruby's [California ice cream diner], a Cheesecake Factory and an Italian restaurant. There are more at the pier.

On the last morning of my stay, I smelled a very odiferous stench of marijuana when I walked by the room next to the elevator, and when I alerted the front desk, I was told security would check into it, but the clerk seemed thoroughly unmoved by the disclosure. Considering small children were having to linger next to the elevator bank, this situation was neither pleasant nor classy. I got the hotel through my rock bottom priceline bid. If I had paid the $189 rack rate quoted to a walk-in couple I overheard, I definitely would have felt taken. An abundance of airline personnel stay at the property, and many local parties are conducted in the ballrooms, both of which must supply steady sources of revenue.

The general staff members were unfriendly and underwhelming in all respects, and I was charged $3 for a couple minutes in the business center, which I found was the 15 minute rate. They do not charge for printing boarding passes, however. Oh, and the $16 a night parking charge was a bit outrageous, but there is really no convenient alternative on the street, as the hotel, parking garage and gym consume a huge block, and marina parking is monitored.

The travel time to LAX is probably under 15 minutes, and I got to the USC campus, just south of downtown, in about 35 minutes most attempts. However, there are many better priceline values at true 4- star choices downtown and in other LA areas, so I would explore those before staying at the Crowne Plaza ever again.

Stayed October 2007
7 Thank DC_World_Traveler
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This is your average Crowne Plaza. We arrived at around 11PM. Check in was easy enough, and the gentleman checking us in was polite and answered all our questions. The room was clean & the beds were comfortable enough. We had a non-smoking room, but they have smoking rooms on the same floor, so the hallway reeked of cigarettes.

They charge $16 per day to park in the parking garage which is also open to the public, so sometimes it was quite difficult to find a spot. Also, it is quite a trek to our room. They also have valet for $20.

They also charge for internet. The more you pay for a room the more the nickel & dime you. The Best Western across the street offers Free internet, parking & breakfast!

• Liked — Clean & Quiet
  • Disliked — Parking & Internet charges
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lissete
west palm beach, FL
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We used priority club points for our 3 night stay at this hotel so I can't really comment on whether it's worth a certain amount etc.. But here's the rest-

Oddly compared to other posters, I thought the service was one of the hotel's BEST features. Everyone was extremely friendly to us. Bad timing- the hotel's room locks were down and had to be replaced while we were there so security had to meet us at the room every time (only 1 day though). Not their fault, handled well.

You can rent bikes and ride up the beach, highly recommend. They also have a salon there that had inexpensive facials and massages which was great. $70 for an hour massage.

Our room was fine, bed above average not divine. bathrooms slightly small and dark. but overall new and a very comfortable place to stay. great ocean view from our room, try to work w/the hotel directly on this if it's important to you.

A bit of a bustling place, so don't count on a quiet visit. The pool was just a pool on the roof, big w/a jacuzzi, nothing special.

I am pretty picky, not the best place we've stayed but for the area I'd stay there again. Not a whole lot to complain about here.

• Liked — Service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Dark and small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gwen7g
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 18, 2007

Stayed here as part of a hotel package. I travel a lot and even with the discounted rate, I feel that this hotel is overpriced and provides zero service.

We had a "view room" that looked straight down on multiple dumpsters. If you stood on your tiptoes, you could see the edge of the water through a fence surrounding tennis courts.

The entire time we where there they were unable to make us a second room key (even though everytime we asked over the course of TWO DAYS they said the problem was going to be fixed imminently). I think its pretty telling when a hotel of this size is not even able to make copies of keys for their guests.

We called room service to orders pizzas for a wedding party group and the kitchen told us one pizza served one person and that our four pizzas would be up in 25 minutes. 45 minutes later we called and they said that actually the oven would only cook one pizza and it took 30 minutes per pizza. Upon receiving these, they fed 2-3 people each and we were left with two throw away pizzas (that with service charges cost about $30 each).

We called down to the front desk to get small items that our room did not include -- iron, bottle opener, and everytime they made us walk downstairs to retrieve these ourselves.

$16/day for parking is ridiculous in Redondo Beach and the garage is very poorly laid out. A trip from the top floor of the garage to our room involved 3 flights of stairs and two separate elevators.

We had friends staying across the street at the Best Western. While their rooms are dated, stay there instead and don't waste your money on this place.

• Liked — Location was good
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LAXflyer
Novara, Italy
Reviewed September 4, 2007

Hotel is right in front of the Marina and gorgeous beaches are within walking distance. The hotel structure is fairly recent and well kept (swimming pool and tennis court included.) The hotel restaurant (Splash) offers very good food, but personnel are not very friendly and the service is a little slow. In any case, there are plenty of very good restaurants very close to the hotel. Pay some extra money and get a room with a view: the sunset is worth your money!
LAX airport is not too far (20 minutes by car) and Disneyland is at about 45 minutes. If you want to combine sightseeing with beaches, this is the right hotel.
Personnel are not extra friendly, but helpful if you need information or advice

• Liked — location, free shuttle to shopping malls, SPA
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank chicca62
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed August 24, 2007

This is a pretty basic hotel. The lobby is new enough, but the rooms are dated and bathrooms rather shabby. The small pool is on a vast concrete deck that lacks charm. The location is so-so, being a short drive to the main drag/downtown area - not walking distance. The staff were friendly.

Nevertheless, a comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2007
Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach & Marina? Share your experiences!