“Great place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Spotless Hotel with spacious rooms. Great deal, good value, easy location for the beach, shops, eateries etc. Right on top of the buses for Long beach, Santa Monica, Venice beach etc. The pier is lovely with some beautiful views. We walked along to Harmosa beach taking in the sight along the way. Wifi and printing a bonus.
The staff are very helpful and pleasant. Lovely time.

Room Tip: The main building is a great place to stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have stayed at this property a number of times over the years, and it never fails to satisfy. The location, amenities and overall appearance of the hotel is always above normal and shows a committed ownership and management staff that "cares" about its clients who are treated more like family then just customers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

United States
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Friendly staff, nice location, clean spacious rooms and reasonable rates. (i do not appreciate this review survey requiring a minimum number of characters in order to post a review, when I can say what I want to say in under 200 characters) - The hotel was fine - this survey is not.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

With a flight to the UK late the next day we were looking for somewhere fairly close to LAX but with somewhere pleasant to spend most of the day before the flight - the Best Western Plus fit the bill perfectly. Further from the airport than I'd thought and therefore more costly for the taxi we were really pleased with hotel , staff and surrounding area . Walking along the Esplanade the next morning made us realise we'd made the right choice. The breakfast was more than adequate and the pool area just what we wanted to relax before heading back to the grey !
Be careful if booking a taxi through reception - we waited about 20 minutes and then the guy charged us about $20 more than the fare coming . He claimed he wasn't an ordinary taxi - apart from some mints for the passengers it certainly looked like an ordinary taxi to me ! He did reduce his tariff somewhat . Great hotel and location - highly recommended .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hylas_10
St. Clair Shores, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Compared to many other hotels this Best Western was more affordable and had extra amenities such as a pool, hot tub and free breakfast. The downside is its location being a couple miles from Redondo's Pier, but they're many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Wonderful staff and excellent service. The front desk staff are always available. We stay at this Best Western each time we visit Redondo Beach. The rooms are always clean. Highly recommended. (This is the only time we have recommended any hotel on Trip Advisor!)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Sadly I have to begin this review with a warning. Hopefully the hotel management will take my advice and start issuing the same warning to their guests as they check in.

Having arrived relatively late at night, very tired, after a long trans-Atlantic flight we went to bed soon after checking in. Whilst in a deep sleep I was awoken by the sound of the phone ringing. Feeling drowsy I picked up the receiver to an apology from a guy who introduced himself as the Duty Manager. He explained that he had not long come on duty to find that the hotel's computer system had crashed. Whilst he had managed to get the system back up, could he just confirm the details that I had booked under? He started off by asking for my address, even asking me to re-spell the street name. He then asked whether I had confirmed the booking with Visa, Mastercard or American Express. By this time I was starting to come to my senses and beginning to feel somewhat irritated at being disturbed, particularly when I looked at the clock and saw that it was 11.15pm. So, when he asked me for the number across the middle of the card I told him that I really wasn't prepared to give that information over the phone when I couldn't really verify who was on the other end of the call. I told him that he had woken me up, that I was tired and jet lagged and, that being the case, I would bring the card to reception in the morning. At this point he apologised for disturbing me and said that it would be perfectly OK for me to bring the card to reception when it was convenient.

The next morning I went to reception and asked whether they had called the night before to check my card details. I had hardly begun speaking when the receptionist immediately began to apologise. According to her, these type of calls were a regular occurrence which the management were well aware of. Apparently, when the hotel number was engaged, calls went straight through to rooms. This enabled the scammers to dial room numbers at random and claim that the computer system had gone down, necessitating a check of booking details. The receptionist also explained to me that they would never ring a guest's room after 9pm.

I suggested to the receptionist that as this was a recurring problem, it would be a good idea if the hotel staff warned guests when they checked in. She said that she would talk to the General Manager about the incident and my suggestion but I am not overly optimistic that they will take the idea on board. Maybe they think it will be off-putting for customers but it surely would be far more off-putting if customers have their credit card details stolen whilst guests at the hotel.

So onto the hotel itself. Reception and public areas clean, smart and attractive. Staff very friendly and helpful. Our room, inside the main building, was a reasonable size and fairly bright, with everything you really need. Whilst the room and bathroom weren't dirty, the bathroom wasn't as clean as it could have been. The shelf where the towels were kept was very dusty and even though I drew a line in the dust, it remained undusted for the five nights of our stay! A minor point but it can leave the wrong impression.

Another minor point for us but perhaps more significant for others - the in-room wall-mounted aircon units can be very noisy.

The Petite Cafe where breakfast (included) is served is called that for a very good reason. It is absolutely tiny for the size of the hotel and you will be lucky to get a table at any time other than the quietest times. That having been said, the hotel makes several other areas with tables and chairs available (including pool side in nice weather) it just means you have to collect your breakfast and carry it there. Breakfast offering is adequate for an American Breakfast - sorry American friends and colleagues; you will never be able to compete with the Great British Breakfast or even a decent European Continental Breakfast! One of the staff in the breakfast room works incredibly hard and fast and is very welcoming and friendly, other than when telling people off for putting Danish in the toaster (not guilty!).

The hotel has plenty of free parking and is situated within easy reach of the beach and some very nice restaurants in Torrance/Redondo Beach. Lovely beach just down the road where in February it seems that spotting dolphins playing in the waves just off the beach is pretty much the norm.

One thing the hotel must fix (as mentioned by others on TripAdvisor) is their internet access. Whilst free, the Wi-Fi is pedestrian at best and, incredibly, the two wired terminals in reception are even slower! I saw several guests give up and walk off in disgust. In the USA in 2014 is free Wi-Fi with a decent speed really too much to expect?!

Despite the negative points I have mentioned, I would definitely recommend the Best Western Plus Redondo Beach and would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: In room, external wall-mounted aircon units can be very noisy.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple