“Interesting Asian fusion food”
Review of Gina Lee's a South Bay Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Redondo Beach, California
“Interesting Asian fusion food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My Mom and I went to Gina Lee's last night for my birthday. We've passed the restaurant many times over the years and said we should go so we finally made the time. Food was very good, interesting Asian fusion. The atmosphere is a bit "strip mall", it's very bare and open inside and can be quite noisy, but the service is very good and helpful. It's quite pricy for a small suburban place. Other than that I enjoyed the experience. My Bento box, which changes very day, was excellent. I will go again but, because of the price, probably not for a while.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank UltimateWines

Los Angeles
“great seafood”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Gina Lee's Bistro is not going to change my mind about "fusion" restaurants. That is, the entrées generally ends up not being a good representative of any of the fused cultures. Why not just call it American food, which almost by definitions is fusion?

This is not to say that Gina Lee's is not a good restaurant. The "fusion" at Gina Lee's is heavy on the Korean flavors. Gina Lee's fusion gives the Korean influences a depth of subtle flavors that is generally masked by the spiciness in traditional Korean food, offering the palate a better chance of getting acquainted with the ingredients that tend to be more shy and textures that flourishes in a more light cooking style. As for the Chinese fusion dishes, Hoi Sin sauce is actually not used all that often in Chinese cooking, however, it seems like every fusion restaurant has this on their menu, Gina Lee's is no exception. In an attempt to clearly communicate to our palate that the dish is of Chinese influence, Gina Lee's lights up their ginger and Hoi Sin flavors in neon when just a night light would've been sufficient.

So why do I like Gina Lee's? Well, to start the ambiance is casual yet elegant. At a step through the front door, the aura is relaxed and encourages the mind to shed the day's anxiety in readiness to enjoy a meal. Folks seem to rave about the owners, we were courteously greeted by them but our server was the standout, she was top notch. Personable, knowledgeable about the menu, offered fantastic suggestions and accommodating. Then there is the seafood. As I hinted at the beginning of this review, Gina Lee's should abandon their "fusion" label because what they served is just great seafood. While I may not agree with the role of the spices, it is rare to find a restaurant that has the ability to cook seafood with such exceptional finesse. Every piece, every bite was perfect from the grilled Sea Bass to the potpourri of ocean deliciousness that was in my Cioppino.

• Visited October 2012
Redondo Beach, California
“Love the food, but not the noise level”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We finally got around to trying Gina Lee's. It had been recommended to us by several friends. And the food is such a delight that I'm sorry I won't be able to experience again. But the noise level in this place is the worst I've ever encountered. The server ended up shouting at us. We finally gave up on conversation. At the end of the meal I yelled to the server, asking if it was always this loud, and she said it pretty much was, unless you came at 5 pm. We're late eaters, so that's kind of out for us.

What a waste of beautiful food. Just put in a new, sound-absorbing ceiling, or an upholstered wall or something!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Susan S
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Fusion Food”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Gina Lee's is a fantastic fusion restaurant in the South Bay. Gina and Scott Lee are wonderful and friendly hosts who make sure your meal is delicious and stress-free. They do a great job of mixing modern cuisine with Asian influences. The bento box is a nice way to sample of a variety of the day's specials. The whole deep-fried catfish and potato-wrapped salmon are some of their signature dishes and really popular. Scott always has a good wine list with reasonable prices. Yes, it can be a little loud if the restaurant is full, but that's because people are having a great time and talking. It's casual and you'll see couples, large groups of friends, and families with children. Gina and Scott make sure everyone feels welcome.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Joycie0274
“Great Food”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

It is a great place to have wonderful food, relax and enjoy great food and fresh fish.

Visited April 2012