“One of my favorite!”

Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed October 4, 2013

By far my favorite restaurant in Redondo Beach! the crab cakes are amazing, as well as the lamb bolognese!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We just wanted to pop in for a cocktail and appetizer. It was MUCH more expensive than we'd anticipated: $56 before tip for two appetizers and two drinks.
BUT - the host, the waiter, the busboy were all extremely welcoming and attentive without smothering us. Service was perfect.
Ahi tartare Nicoise was good, an interesting variation, kind of like an Ahi Poke but with a Mediterranean flair, including home-made potato chips for scooping. It was a serving size great for sharing - we ate it all up, but I'm not sure I would necessarily order it again.
The crabcake appetizer was very good. Four small-ish crabcakes, served on a little puddle of chile oil and excellent balsamic glaze, in which you could skim the crabcakes, or not, as you preferred. Would definitely order them again.
All in all, we really liked the ambiance, the service, and the location in the Riviera Village section of Redondo Beach, and will likely go back for a real meal in the future.

2  Thank NYCbacktoLAhooray
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant at least 25 times over the course of the last several years. I considered it one of the better options in the South Bay. I ate here, however, this week and now feel compelled to revise my assessment. It has been approximately one year since I last dined at Zazou, and I was very surprised how much it has declined over that time period.

First, the prices have increased substantially. My "shrimp toast" appetizer was $17, and it wasn't worth a fraction of that. The toast was soggy and largely flavorless, the shrimp lukewarm/cold and tough. If you are spending $17 for an appetizer, it should be good and should generally be served in a nicer atmosphere with better service, but this one failed on all fronts.

Second, the service left much to desire. Starting at around 9:30 pm, it was clear that they wanted us to speed up, and by 10:00 the kitchen staff were making loud noises clearly intended to give us the "message" to leave. The owner likewise was prowling the restaurant and kept glaring at us. Admittedly, the restaurant was not crowded at any time during the night and emptied out much ealier than it used to (no doubt due to the ridiculous prices and mediocre service), but that isn't our fault and they really should be more gracious.

Third, the rest of our meal was mediocre at best but vastly over-priced for what we got and compared to other comparable restaurants. There are much, much better options in Redondo and the South Bay generally. Going forward, I will go to them and avoid Zazou. You have been warned.

3  Thank MidwestLawyer0331
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I went to Zazou based on other recommendations and I can honestly say I was not disappointed. The service was fantastic and the management oversight was always there, checking on the welfare of their patrons. I had the squid starter which was tasty and surprisingly large. Following that was Halibut on a seafood risotto which was beautiful. An extensive wine list and wonderful selection of deserts. Although not needing desert I had the signature dish "on the house" and loved it. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I made a reservation for Sunday Brunch. Although I had eaten at the restaurant in the past (4+ years ago) for dinner, and remembered the place favorably, I was not impressed this time. The website shows table cloths but there were none. One plate and knife were dirty when we sat down at the table. The food was presented well but only average in taste. The waitress was not pleasant. She also rushed us to order but forgot basic things we ask her for, (water & a clean knife). She was quick to ask for the add-ons like side dishes and desert. I can understand asking for the add-ons but I don't need an attitude to go with it.

Summary - Taking the waitress out of the equation, with over 130 restaurants in the So Bay area of LA, I'll try others before going back again..

2  Thank ENJ0Yeating