“Friendly and welcoming, with delicious and creative vegetarian dishes” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Green Temple

The Green Temple
Ranked #40 of 293 Restaurants in Redondo Beach
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California
“Friendly and welcoming, with delicious and creative vegetarian dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

On the recommendation of a local, we sought out this delightful little spot located in the Riviera Village area of Redondo Beach. Parking can be a challenge during peak hours, but it's worth circling a couple of times. We walked in and were greeted by a friendly, soft-spoken Aussie who was both gracious and attentive, despite being busy during the Friday dinner hour. There is a small indoor seating area, which we chose, and a larger outdoor patio area as well, the latter being outfitted with propane heaters during what passes for winter in SoCal.

The Green Temple has vegetarian and vegan fare, marked appropriately on the menu. Unlike some restaurants, where you can read the name of the dish and know all you need to, this place has such interesting and unique offerings that you find yourself reading every word of every item.

As an omnivore, it's not my habit to frequent such places, but my wife eats mostly vegan, and so I keep my mind open. I had a dish called White Lasagna, which was vegetarian but not vegan because it featured both egg and cheese. It was, in a word, delightful. It was a hearty dish that left me very satisfied and too full for dessert (which sounded amazing as we listened to an adjacent table discussing the options). My wife had a potato and vegetable dish with a tofu-based sauce that was also excellent.

The one improvement we'd like to see would be more allergen-free offerings, with vegen dishes that don't have gluten or corn, and preferably even soy. We know that's challenging, but having even a couple of items like that on the menu allows folks like us, with a son with food sensitivities, to dine out more comfortably as a family.

This restaurant is not licensed, so there is no beer or wine, although you can enjoy a dragon shot, which is a hot sake-like herbal preparation that we found very pleasant.

In short, this is a very cozy, friendly place with excellent food, and we'll be recommending it as well.

• Visited January 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Kicked us out at 8:59 PM”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is an OK restaurant...nice atmosphere and a good vegetarian menu....
but I ate there with my family last week...
AND THEY KICKED US OUT AT 8:59 PM. No warning! The waitress came over at 8:58 (while we were finishing our entrees) and said "if you want dessert, you'll have to take it to go...we are closing at 9".
Outrageous, rude and stupid. Not how to run a restaurant or treat customers.
They need lessons in customer service.

Overpriced too.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
“Incredible vegetarian food & a soothing eastern/hippie feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I love this place... I live nearby, so I probably go there once a month, but I especially like to take out-of-town visitors here because it is so unique.

It is a vegetarian/vegan(?) place and they don't serve alcohol, so keep that in mind when you decide whom to take.

But again, the food is out of this world delicious (and I'm not vegetarian!). Favorites include the walnut loaf if I'm super hungry or the broccoli bowl if I want something simpler.

Try to sit outside in the courtyard next to the fountain... fantastic ambiance for a second or third date :)

• Visited December 2012
Redondo Beach, California
“Green Temple”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our favorite restaurant in Redondo Beach. The decor and atmosphere are enchanting, the food healthy and delicious, the people friendly and wonderful.

We go there regularly. Our kids took us there some years ago and we've been regulars ever since.

• Visited April 2013
“Serenely green”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just a few blocks from the beach, in Riviera Village, this is an enchanting respite from the usual loud, plastic places...the Green Temple is serene with it's trickling water fountain, colourfully cushioned seats, and menu full of healthy choices. The staff is friendly, and the food is as tasty as it is healthy. My family has long been fans of the "Wraps" here, but today my daughter and i had the Broccoli Bowl - LOVED it. We always have a good meal and pleasant time here.

• Visited March 2013