“Would not stay here if I was paying for it, but located in a great area.”
Review of Palos Verdes Inn

Palos Verdes Inn
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
Reviewed November 25, 2007

I travel for a living (Pilot) and my cheap company uses this hotel for our crew long overnights. While we are used to sub-standard hotels, this one would get complaints if it wasn't for the great location with access to restaurants and the beach. The rooms are barely adequate and though I was warned about cleanliness, my room was surprisingly clean and the bed firm. The hallways are old as is the entire building. One nice thing: the windows open and I'm told the balcony rooms offer a good view. Supposedly the restaurant serves up good food but I have not tried it as there are too many places nearby that I wanted to visit. If you are looking for spartan, minimal lodging, this may be the place. I don't know what the price is to stay here as the comapny pays for it, but if our Low Cost Carrier puts us up here, it has to be cheap. A solid C- grade.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Isoar

Reviewed August 5, 2007

The hotel was a bit disappointing. The air conditioning unit continually tripped out the electrical breaker making the room uncomfortably warm.

The hotel has a great location but shows it age. The rooms are average. The hallways are neglected - making you a bit apprehensive when entering the room. The room is a bit nicer. Also, the pool was open and was very large.

I will look at other options before staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank JoeKH
Reviewed August 3, 2007

This is a pleasant enough hotel and it features an excellent restaurant (Chez Melange). But its ad using Zagat's rating states breakfasts there are free, which would be an outstanding amenity. However it is only under certain conditions, which are not spelled-out and led to an uncomfortable contretempts.

2  Thank Wladziu
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We were looking for a hotel close to beaches and LAX. We thought we found a gem in Palos Verdes Inn. Unfortunately we were wrong. Upon check-in we found out that 1 of the elevators were not working and the other one was being used by the service workers so we waited a good 10 minutes before we were able to use the elevators to get to our rooms. With luggage and 3 small children this was inconvenient to say the least. We had to wait for 3 other groups to use the elevators before we could use them because they were so small.

The room was small and we the only thing we could see of the ocean was haze. I guess with binoculars you could see it but I mostly saw and heard the traffic. First off the air conditioner was a portable unit that needed to be drained by the staff periodically or it would stop working. This happened 6 times on our 2 day stay including one time at 1:30 in the morning. It became so hot in our room we had the service man come to our room at that time. The unit would work for about 3 hours and then shut down. It shut down for the 6th time at midnight the last day. We didn't bother to call the desk because it was becoming ridicules. When the air conditioner quit the refrigerator made so much noise it kept you awake and if you opened the balcony door to let in cool air all you could hear was the traffic.

After a day of activities we thought we would unwind with a dip in the pool and hot tub. We went down to the pool area which was locked up tight. The pool closes and in completely inaccessible at 9. We went down about 9:10. My nephews and I were disappointed as we had went swimming at our previous hotel around 11 with no hassle. When we did get to swim the next day the pool was ice cold. The hot tub however was was nice and toasty and functioned well.

We got the free breakfast room special with the on site restaurant. First off the front desk didn't know how the breakfast worked and just told us to go to the restaurant in the morning and tell them we had the free breakfast. That was not the case we needed coupons as we were sent out of the restaurant. The front desk again looked confused and finally got a manager to get us some coupons. We only got two free per room which was fine. We thought how expensive could a couple of kids meals be. WOW is all I have to say we were charged $12.00 for 2 small glasses of orange juice and $24 for the 2 kids meals. We would have been better off going to the pancake restaurant next door. I guess we should have known when the menu had no prices listed. I guess that allows them to charge whatever they want to recoup the free breakfast room. Come on $6 for a glass of orange juice that is just insane.

Our return flight was moved to and earlier flight so I asked the desk if I could get a reduced rate since I would not be able to have breakfast the next day. I was told that was part of my room rate and if I chose to not have breakfast then that was my choice and not there problem. I said what about the broken air conditioner. He told me they were not broke they just needed to be drained. I said that is fine but every 3 hours was ridiculous and inconvenient. He then told me that I should be happy because I got a free room upgrade to the 3rd floor. Whoopie!

All in all the room was worn and the decor was dull. Our sink leaked. The air conditioner was loud when it worked but was still better than the refrigerator which was the reason to call to have the air conditioner drained at 1:30 in the morning because the noise from the fridge unbearable. The shower went from hot and cold with no uniformity in temperature. The toilet would barely flush. Perhaps I just got a bad room but that doesn't make up for the untrained, uncaring staff who could care less about their guests

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank PowerTravelJunky
Reviewed June 13, 2007

Everything from the beginning was a "NO". Can't check in until 3pm...even though the room was available. I checked with the maid. NO the Pool isn't open. It closes at 9pm.
No, we can't give you the kind of invoice you need for taxes.

And both my wife and I got skin rashes on our chest and neck from the chemicals in the bedding.
We will not stay here again.
It has a great location. Too bad about the front desk help and convenient policies for the hotel.

Ralph Nichols

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank redondoman
Reviewed June 13, 2007

Not a bad place to stay for just a couple of days. Pretty central and relatively average with regards to cleanliness. Only drawback is the room designated for wheelchair accessibility was disappointing. I managed but you must have a fair amount of mobility to manouever into the bathroom. The rest of the hotel was easy but the washroom had no room to move if you are in a wheelchair. The door is difficult to shut behind you and the shower has sliding doors that pose a problem when transferring.Also the toilet is in an awkward spot for transfers.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2006

We stayed at the Palos Verde as part of a wedding party. Travelling from the UK we wanted to be as close as possible to all the goings on. Close to the beach with a good choice of restaurants & bars nearby the hotel made a perfect base. Yes, it needs a lick of paint, but it's clean with comfy beds & safe (although the locks on the sliding doors could be better)

The only real downside to the hotel was the loud chambermaids in the morning & some very loud plumbing.

Great for a base i would recommend this hotel, just don't expect too much - but for $80prpn you can't go wrong!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family