“Better than the Melting Pot”
Review of Rok N Fondue

Rok N Fondue
Ranked #21 of 223 Restaurants in Redlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Yucaipa, California
“Better than the Melting Pot”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was a little leery to try another fondue restaurant, after all who wants to eat beef boiled in flavored broth? Not to mention cooking your own food (what's the point of going out to eat?). I was pleasantly surprised to find two options, braising over a hot stone and the traditional fondue (cooking in a hot broth), hence the name Rok and Fondue. Having tried, and disliked the fondue style when I visited the Melting Pot, I opted for the hot stone. I still cooked my entire meal but it seemed to go a little faster on the hot stone. The portions were Ok and we were full without having to order the recommended "full experience". Had we accepted the appetizer and salad recommendation it would have been too much food. The pricing structure is similar to other fondue restaurants e.g. Melting Pot so be prepared for an ala carte menu that quickly runs up the bill. Having said this remember that you aren't locked in to their suggested "full experience" and it's Ok to just order a main course and dessert (the best part of fondue style cooking).

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Gabby92399

“"too many notes!"”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This might be good for a couple ordering the same thing, but something of a disaster for more than that. The menu is confusing and waiters don't do a very good job of explaining it. The restaurant should anticipate that customers are coming in with expectations based on the more traditional definition of fondue, you know, melted cheese and probably some kind of melted chocolate dessert option.

Cheese fondues are their appetizers.

Half of the entrees are "fondue platters" where you select a raw food selection and get a pot of hot broth in which you cook your selection.

The other entrees are "rok entrees" which is an 800 degree heated flat rock flanked by two sides of your choice with a piece of raw meat or something else on top for you to cook to your satisfaction. You also get three sauces with each entree and a plate.

The result for our group of five at a table made for 6 (with two people sharing a single order) was an incredibly cluttered unmanageable mess of plates, steam, and hot things burning arms. This place struck us all as a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The food was OK. Not great. The scallops for the fondue and the steaks on the "rok" were remarkably average. The fresh vegetables and sides were good. One of our group ordered a white chocolate fondue for dessert and most of us found it unpleasant, tasting more like condensed milk than anything else. Food and drinks were expensive for what we got. The staff were all very nice, but as someone else mentioned seemed disorganized and in dire need of some leadership.

They have vegetarian options but the shared nature of the dipping pots makes things problematic for veggies and omnis eating together.

I won't return to this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank KurtRH
Corona del Mar, California
“Enjoyable experience”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a good place for a date, but also for small groups. Everything is shareable, that's why it's good for sm groups. Plus it's hard to decide what to order I loved the chimichuri sauce. All the dipping sauces are good. We used it for everything. Definitely recommend for dates...
It's pricey. but the food ingredients are fresh, local, and great quality. There's so much to try, I will definitely come back again if I'm in the area. Too bad its far from my house.

The service/staff/organization needs improvement.Staff are nice, just not too organized. Granted it is a new restaurant, there is a learning curve. Service was slow. We were patient, however, next time I'm back, I don't know how patient I would be. Decor is cool. I'm a fan of brick buildings. You have to walk upstairs for the better dining spaces.

They have a happy hour 4-6. Martini of the day was real good.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Islanddiva7
Redlands, California
“sorta of a mess from the start.”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

planned a special dinner there for my husbands birthday. Called way ahead to reserve the table upstairs by the window.. went one hour early checked in had drinks at the bar waiting with friends for our table.. our check in time came and went.. and went and went... one hour and 45 minutes after our reservation time.. (that is 2.45 minafter we arrvied) we finally after much begging and complaining were finally seated. famished and upset..we ordered our food. cheese fondue..was delish, had filet mignon was ok, nothing spectacular.. ordered it on the hot ROK.. desert was bananas foster fondue.. again ok.. bill was over 300 bucks for 4 people with a bottle of wine and i think maybe some beers.. that did not include the bar bill from down stairs which was paid ahead. what is most upsetting is they seated people after we were already there in that special reserved room.knwoing we were waiting.. then double charged one of us.. then didnt take what i feel are professional routes to fix the issue its take more then a week to get a refund and it has yet to hit the bank. The district manager got involved promised to fix everything was super cool and so professional. He promised a speedy refund and a dinner on him to fix this mess(special happy birthday celebration) then the owner took over was very rude, defensive and said why would we offer a comp dinner and a refund???!! I am sorry but when people dine out and spend over 350 bucks you WANT to make them happy. I am a foodie.. blog on food , and enjoy spending time eating out. They should have tried to make us happy. I would have totally given them another try. sadly in this economy word of mouth is king!~ Happy customers bring more business. They need to learn customer is always right and admit when they blow a special evening and makeit right!

Visited May 2013
6 Thank trish m
Redlands, California
“Expensive, Staff needs oversight”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

No one wants a restaurant to make it in Redlands more than I, so I am writing this review in hopes that the owners see it and make some changes. I tried to make reservations twice by calling the phone number listed on the website. Twice I left messages as no one answered, and twice I did not receive a call back. I then went by at 4:30 on a Wednesday afternoon, to make the reservation in person. Their Website says the Bar opens at 4:00. The door was locked, but I could see people inside. I sat in my car parked directly in front of the restaurant and called. They answered! I made the reservation for the date I was looking for, and indicated that we would be celebrating a birthday. She responded that they recognize birthdays with a card and a glass of champagne. I then asked the gal what time they open today, and she answered that they opened at 4:00, to which I inquired "so, you are open now?" She stamered out a "Yes", but of course, she was lying and knew she had been caught.

On our reservation date, our party of four dined upstairs. We shared appetizer, main course, and dessert fondues. The experience was fun because it is such a social dining experience. We thought all of the food was yummy, although sparse and expensive for the amount of food you receive. We spent $175 for the four of us and went away hungry. Oh, and the birthday being celebrated wasn't ackenowledged.

The downtown location and building are terrific. I hope that the owners, Marlisa and Lance Hodgin, see this review, and make some changes to the professionalism in the way the restaurant is ran. I also think they would fill up the restaurant if the prices were are little more in line with what you receive for your money.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Patsy A

Been to Rok N Fondue? Share your experiences!