“Great staff”
Review of Dhat Island - CLOSED

Dhat Island
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a newly opened restaurant that specializes in Caribbean/Creole cajun cuisine Phone (909) 792-1717, already 7 reviews on Yelp
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The staff is wonderful, helpful and they make you feel at home. The food, which is why we go to restaurants, is, and I hate to say this, bad.

I am used to hot and spicy foods because of my ethnicity, but this goes way beyond that. It's basically uneatable.

The people there are great and the atmosphere is fantastic. They just can't compensate for the bad food.

1  Thank Aristacah

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We really wanted to like this new restaurant in Redlands making the challenging conversion from caterer to restaurant. Service was mediocre and waitress was not well versed in the menu or cuisine. Food was way too spicy for us and I like spicy. Portions were modest, prices were not.

1  Thank jwwcpa
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I loved the place, loved the food. I found it very snug and uncomfortable the last evening we were there. Can't help but mention plantains... I hate plantains, the ones that taste like wads of newspaper. I'd really, really, appreciate knowing which I'm getting before I find myself stuck with a plate of them.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I came for the beignets and I was not disappointed! Also ate the Creole Beef Meatballs and they were wonderful. I was full after the meatballs but had to have the beignets and we ate every last one of them! If I don't have time to go back for a full meal, I will go for coffee and biegnets.
FYI, this restaurant is off the beaten path, you will not "happen upon it" while walking. Know the address,it is a nondescript building, parking is down the block in a fenced lot.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were greeted by the owner's husband upon entering and he was extremely pleasant and assured us that we could park our car anywhere because it was Sunday evening. The atmosphere was a cute tropical look (not counting of course that it was air conditioned.. Thank goodness) and it was not cluttered but rather very open which I liked. The food was a mix of Southern U.S. and Carribean. We started with an appetizer "Mich Fondue Creole" and while it didn't look pretty it tasted wonderful. It was a filling appetizer of hot dip and 6 pieces of warm bread and was priced right at $6.95. For dinner we ordered "Dhat Bourbon Chicken" entree with red beans and rice. Reasonably $11.95. It was absolutely delicious. The only thing I didn't like was that the waitress conviced me that the savory plantains were the ones I was used to from Jamaica, Caymans and other carribean islands? When I tasted them I did not like them (they were not the Plantains I'm used to) they were heavily breaded, DEEP fried and tasted like bread or potato rather then banana. The waitress said it was no problem and that she would bring us out some sweet plantains, however she never did.. too bad, I love plantains! For dessert we had Beignets (also reasonably priced at $4.95) and coffee. Everything was absolutely delicious, although if you prefer a healthier meal try to stick with the carribean food vs. the cheesy, fatty, fried Southern dishes even though they are also delicious.
We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal here and will definitely be back and probably bring friends along as well!!