“Can't believe they charge over $75 for this place”

Oxford Suites Redding
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Redding
Austin, Texas
“Can't believe they charge over $75 for this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

If this is the second best hotel in Redding, I sense a business opportunity. We paid $130 to stay here and found a run-down room with an extremely liberal definition of the word "suite." The bathroom smelled overwhelmingly of urine and the mattress was one of the worst I've ever slept on. Upon first walking into the room, my 4-year old started wailing, "I want to go home!" We should have listened to her.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank gonzoct
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Redding, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment and we apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Would you be willing to call our General Manager, Ryan Rydalch at 800.762.0133, to allow us to convey our apologies personally? We would like the opportunity to learn the specifics of your stay as what you describe is not typical of a standard Oxford Suites stay, and we want to make certain it does not happen in the future. We appreciate any assistance you would be willing to provide and again, we thank you for the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Oregon Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Although they weren't able to immediately locate on their computer our reservation, which we had made a few weeks ago online, they were able to find it in a three-ring binder in hard copy!

We were fortunate to be upgraded to an Executibve Queen Suite on the third floor. The room was much brighter than the first-floor suites, which are surrounded by tall, dark shrubbery, perhaps for security reasons.

The room was clean and well-appointed. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic, reminded me of Kramer's Commando 1000 on Seinfeld ;-)

Their evening hospitality drinks and munchies were well appreciated. Our only regret was that we were passing through Redding on our way to Southern California, and were only able to stay one night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OregonCoast44
Lake Forest, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed 2 nights all was well. Room was fair-sized and clean. Amenities were average for the price. I appreciated the complementary breakfast, the friendly staff and the bed was super comfortable with lots of pillows. I have to say that the place was crammed full of kids on the days I stayed, but I never heard a sound during the night. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The pool area is very noisy - the best rooms are on the front of the building - third floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

My family stayed in this hotel at the end of July. We ended up staying there during a swimming tournament that was happening in town. The pool was packed as sardines and was an accident ready to happen. Kids were cannon balling in the pool and I was waiting for someone to get hit. Our own kids didn't want to go in because they were worried. The room was a bit of a strange set up having the pull out sofa for the kids in the living room area which had a blasting air conditioner with a small hallway between that and the bedroom which had no air conditioning at all. The bedding was fresh and clean. Unfortunately, with no air conditioning in that room it made it unbearable to be in. Luckily, we went down to the front desk and asked if they had a portable fan. The lady was extremely nice and said we could use the one from the kitchen. My husband had a very long drive the next day so thank goodness for the fan!!!!! The breakfast room was very busy with the people from the swimming tournament the next morning so we had a little trouble finding a table. The food was good and the biscuits amazing! I think we would probably not stay there again and would opt for the Hampton Inn that is withing walking distance from there.

Room Tip: Ask if the second room has air conditioning if you are there in the summer and if there is a tournam...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Redding, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment. We will follow up on your comments with our staff. Perhaps in the future, you'll reconsider and allow us another opportunity to prove to you why we are highly regarded in Redding. Thanks again for the feedback.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, up for business from the Bay Area. I found the staff of the hotel to be extremely friendly and willing to take extra time to help me in learning the area. The breakfast and "reception" (more like dinner) was great. The room size was good, the bed comfy, and the shower was pretty good. One thing that was a drawback for me was the tip basket out at breakfast. I felt that it sent an unnecessary message to the guests. Most who know where to place their used trays and plates bussed their own tables. The tip was for the person behind the counter who scooped the eggs? Isn't that included with the rate? Maybe if there was an offer to make eggs to order, but not for a quick buffet line.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Stayed a few weeks on business. Having enjoyed staying for an extended period at Oxford Suites Chico I was looking forward to my stay at this property. It has been updated/renovated but doesnt look as polished as the Chico Oxford.

My room was clean each week, but now cleaned beyond what I consider average housekeeping. My bed had garbage peeking out from the bed skirt, mold in the shower, filthy toilet paper dispenser.

I find this hotel a little odd. I know Oxford is a chain, but this location misses the mark for trying to compete with a Homewood Suites or even a Hampton Inn (which is across the way). This Oxford uses the "old school" key cards which I have not seen in years. The breakfast hostess informed us we "could not" take food to go, which made us unable to take advantage of the free breakfast. On multiple nights I waited in line for over ten minutes waiting for my "drink tickets" for their happy hour. They do not give you the breakfast/drink vouchers for your whole stay like every other hotel I have visited, they make you come back to the desk daily. It may not bother some people but I found it annoying. Especially because they were extremely busy during my stays and the employees dont make it quick.

This is a decent hotel, but nothing I would rave about. If you travel often or you have visited the Oxford in Chico or you are expecting a Homewood Suites type experience, you are going to be dissapointed.

If you do decide to stay at this hotel and the hotel is busy ask for the top floor. My rooms I had on the 1st floor were extremely noisey. The 4th floor was nice and quiet.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank RevJoenathan
WesternTrvlr, Manager at Oxford Suites Redding, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations and we will follow up with our staff regarding the specifics you cited. Would you be willing to contact our General Manager, Ryan Rydalch, to discuss further? He can be reached at 800.762.0133 and would like to extended our apologies personally. Hopefully, in the future, we will have the opportunity to prove to you why we are highly rated. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stopped for one night on our I-5 road trip. Located right off the freeway. They serve a nice appetizer and drink reception in the evening. Perfect to tide the kids over while swimming in the heated pool. Room was spacious enough for 4 of us. My only complaint is that breakfast stops being served at 9:00. Couldn't get the family ip and moving early enough to catch it. An extra half hour there would have helped.

• Stayed August 2011