“Don't expect much and don't look too closely”
Review of Super 8 Redding

Super 8 Redding
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Greeted by a rat scurrying right across the entrance. There was no such thing as a non-smoking room. The hot tub has been inoperable for over a year. Decent night sleep and decent customer service. Breakfast was edible.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 30, 2011

My family and I stayed here one night and the next morning we all woke up with bites! Its a horrible hotel!!!

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank pythang
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The main problem with this hotel is the owner cares more about cutting corners to save a buck than about customer satisfaction.

I reserved a non-smoking double bed room a week before arriving. Per their own terms, if you don’t cancel before 4:30pm the day of check in, you are automatically billed for the room.

We arrived at 11:10pm (nearly 7 hours after the cancellation deadline) and I attempted to check in. The owner, Kuldip asked me if a smoking room was OK. I politely said no and showed her a printout of the reservation stating that I had reserved non-smoking. She then asked if one bed was enough. I again referred to my reservation that showed four people and two beds.

She then claimed that “Expedia switched us to a smoking room”. I explained that I reserved the room on the Super 8 website, not Expedia and showed her the email that confirmed this.

Finally she said “They are cleaning a room for you and it will be ready in 10 to 15 minutes.” I asked why the cleaning staff was still cleaning rooms at 11:15 at night. She said they didn’t have enough rooms available and had to call in cleaning staff to clean more rooms. She was trying to coerce and lie to get me into a room other than I reserved rather than admit her mistake managing the capacity.

I asked why my room wasn’t cleaned earlier that day since I reserved it a week ago and it was now 7 hours past the cancellation deadline. She offered no explanation.

I waited 15 minutes and she said “just 10 minutes more.” I asked for a discount for having to wait so long to check in with my family exhausted having to sit in a parking lot. She declined to give a discount. (At checkout the next morning, I asked the clerk to call her and she eventually agreed to 10% - a mere $6 for our inconvenience!)

After 25 minutes, the room was finally ready. Nothing special: two very uncomfortable double beds (not queens), a very noisy air conditioner (I think a bearing was starting to fail), and a clean but tiny bathroom with a shower head at a perfect height if you are under five feet tall.

The breakfast was one of the worst I’ve ever had at a motel. The “orange juice” tasted like a syrupy sweet kids punch. The waffle batter was pre-poured but you had to use 2 to 3 cups just to make one waffle. They kept putting out the minimum of everything. We had to go to the front desk three different times to ask for more napkins, more muffins and more cups. The chairs were so old and worn a metal spike was sticking up through the cushion and I cut my hand on it. The men’s room by the pool was out of paper towels. The sauna was “closed for repairs.” And on and on.

The whole place just screamed of cutting corners and poor management. The owner kept saying they were fully booked and giving attitude like she didn’t have to worry about customer satisfaction because all their rooms were full.

Next time we are in Redding, we will skip the Super 8 and stay at the La Quinta, the Rodeway Inn or the Comfort Inn. I’m sure other Super 8’s are managed much better but definitely skip the one in Redding!

Reviewed July 23, 2011

What is not transmitted on the internet is the fowl stench of smoke, age, and funk that hits you in the face when you walk in the door of the lobby!!!!!! I kept looking around thinking, nasty!!!!!! I walked out and canceled our reservation on the intennt from our car and went to "Gaia Anderson Hotel" for $8 cheaper, reservations made on the internet 5 minutes after leaving the Super 8 Motel Redding, CA. Gaia Anderson Hotel is luxury, CLEAN, if you smoke you pay a $250 cleaning fee! I am going to book my Family Reunion there.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Worst experience for us. The place reeked of stale smoke as soon as you get into the hall way leading to your room. The windows and carpets are filthy. Bugs on windows and spider webs. The furniture were something you would find in a garage sale in a very bad neighborhood. The little sink and mirror are next to the entrance to the room and very small - awful actually. Do yourself a favor and do not stay there. And it was really not inexpensive considering what was offered. I actually wrote a letter to Super 8 corporate office and advised them not to have their good reputation associated with this awful place.
Rita Alarie
Fountain Hills, AZ

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The rooms were alright and pretty clean. However, the rooms are in desperate need of a remodel and are quite small. The breakfast was alright, but the breakfast area was quite small. The lobby smelled of smoke when checking in, however, it cleared up by the next morning.

1  Thank linfamily
Reviewed July 6, 2011

An error was made in the reservation. Manager refuses to correct it. Extremely poor service.