“not what I expected”

Red Lion Hotel Redding
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Redding
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I waited at the front desk for at least ten minutes before someone came out of the back room to check me in. There wasn't any sort of device available to let them know I was waiting. The parking lot is poorly lit, and I was advised that the area had been targeted by a group of thiefs. The front desk people told me that there were no headsets available for use in the workout room, the outdoor pool and hot tub was inoperable, and that there was a fee for the breakfast. i have stayed at other locations in the Redding area and know they offer a much better assortment of breakfast options for free. I guess the icing on the cake is that my rewards points have not been awarded to my account. Earning rewards towards a free night stay was one of the main reasons I chose this location above others. I will not stay here again, and will suggest friends to do the same.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
Ckorol, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Redding, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

We want to take this time to extend our apologies for your experience with us in Redding. We use these reviews to continuously better our approach to our guest’s experiences at our hotels. We have noted the issues you faced during your stay and will work very quickly to overcome these objectives and ensure a better stay. We hope you will continue to be a Red Lion advocate and give us another chance to show you our superior service.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and suggestions to make our hotel a better place to stay.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised about everything. This was so much more than we were expecting. The front staff member was one of the best I have encountered. She took her time with each person so you felt like you were the most important guest they had. Pretty amazing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed just one night on our way from Washington to Los Angeles, and really enjoyed the comfort, quality, and convenience of the Red Lion Hotel in Redding. We had three "toy breed" dogs with us, and were delighted to find such a nice, pet friendly hotel at a reasonable price. The staff could not have been more courteous or efficient.

After we made our reservations through the Red Lion web site, we called the hotel in Redding to request a ground floor room, which they kindly set aside for us. They were also very accommodating when we called them en route to inform them we had left a day early and needed to move our reservation date up from "tomorrow" to "today".

The room was spotlessly clean, the beds (two queens) were comfortable, and all the appliances worked very well. The next time we spend a night in Redding, it will be at the Red Lion!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I wish I could have caught the young lady that checked us in. She was very sweet. She told me if I signed up to be a member of Red Lion she would upgrade me to a King Standard, which I did. The room was clean and warm. The hotel was quiet and we had a good night sleep on both nights. Their breakfast buffet for $6 is good and you have to try. It is centrally located to all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Redding is the half way point on my travel from CA to OR, and Red Lion is right off I-5, easy on and off, but the rooms are quiet enough not to hear the freeway (at least poolside 2nd floor). There is a hum from the air system, but it is like white noise and comforting to me (I sleep with the fan on). Clean room, and comfy bed, big TV, free wireless, not much more I need than this. Lots of dining options within walking distance, including at the hotel. It is a big hotel, fairly recently renovated - feels newer. Very nice staff. You could get a better rate online than at the hotel, or become a member for free and you get a big discount.

Room Tip: I was on second floor poolside, room 310, which was quite nice. I wouldn't risk being on the fre...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Clean, quite, friendly helpful staff, comfortable, close to great food. Stayed here before on USFS business, will do it again. Shower pressure was almost non existing, must be mega low flow! No big deal, use the ice bucket to rinse!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We pulled into Redding after dark and decided not to head through the pass to Oregon until morning. Being a member of Best Western we attempted to check in there after checking our corporate rate. The BW front desk was rude and would not honor our online rate. A quick search on Trip Advisor suggested the answer was Red Lion and they were correct!~ Thank you, we are now Red Lion club members and will definately stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family