“What a dump! Funky 70's motor inn with dirty towels!!!! Eeeew!”

Red Lion Hotel Redding
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Redding
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Lately Hotwire has really let me down. This is considered a 3 star in their eyes. It's a 2.5 at best... really a 2... and that's before I found used (dirty?) towels stacked (or strewn) in the bathroom. Made me wonder what else wasn't clean.
Speaking of unclean... in the morning some tattooed young drifters were lurking in the parking lot being oddly friendly and asking me if there was a "restroom" they could use. Overall, the folks staying here were a smorgasbord of low rent characters.
This place dates back to the early 70's and it shows. In the rooms and lobby, the decor is either of the era and sadly outdated or slightly updated and tasteless.
Customer service was questionable. I prepaid the reservation and called to say I was showing up late (after midnight). Each time I was told my room would probably be held for me but the hotel was booked solid and there were no guarantees that it wouldn't be given away. What? I pre-PAID!!! I was upset till I checked in. Oh how I wish I had gotten my money back. Don't stay here! BTW... I only "saved" $15 with Hotwire off the red lion website. Soooooo not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Andrew W
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Redding, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear guest,

We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best possible service. We are very displeased to see that there were some areas of concern regarding the cleanliness of your guest room bathroom and the hotel in general. We will certainly address your concerns with our housekeeping staff.

You are a valued guest and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you better service in the near future!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here four years ago and I had great memories. This time not really so. I agree with the other reviewer about the musty smell in the lobby and halls. Our bed appeared to be clean and it was comfortable. The bathroom was clean, except the joint between the bathtub and the wall could have bleached. 3 out of 4 staffers that I interacted with were very helpful. They do not have an elevator, so I'm glad we got a downstairs room.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms only accessible with stairs
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

What can I say. It was not an acceptable stay. Halls and room smelled terribly musty. My son and I woke to horrible allergy attacks. Sink wouldn't drain, asked for a room with tub for kids only an extremely large shower they couldn't use, & the coffee maker was sticky. When we called to make the reservation, we were told breakfast was served until 10 o'clock. Nope. We got down at 9:15, every speck of food even coffee was taken away. However, every table was loaded with old plates with half-eaten food and no one was in sight cleaning up anything. Then there's the front desk service. When I mentioned these things to me she looked blankly at me and said there was a Marie Callendar's or Ihop down the street and someone would look at the sink later today. * Sigh* We usually love Red Lion. This was just sad. With the choices available here be sure to absolutely skip this place.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank love4kids
Ckorol, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Redding, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for bringing your concern about our hotel to our attention. Our consistent goals of cleanliness, quality, security and friendly service require diligent attention to feedback from our guests. I was deeply concerned to hear of the challenges you faced and I assure you these are the exceptions rather than the rules. I will look into this personally to insure it does not occur in the future. We hope you will give our hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our usually impeccable service and product in the not so distant future.

Thank you for your correspondence.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

OMG this is the worst worst worst hotel I've ever stayed with. Everything was just the worst. e.g. There's no elevator, good luck if you have luggage and if you're assigned a room on the upper level. e.g. II. If you walk in the room without shoes, you'll be surprised with the pure black color of your feet, can you imagine how dirty the carpet is? e.g.III. The air conditioner is just as much noisy as you think even if you turn it off you can hear something and it just sounds like a 500 years old guy is breathing beside your ears. OMG this is really really really the worst worst worst hotel I've ever tried.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We have stayed here several times on our way to camping in Lassen area and have found our experiences to be hit and miss. Each room has a different setup and some have newer air conditioners/heaters that work quietly and can be turned off. Other rooms have a fan that never turns off and all you can do is tweak the thermostat. The fan is noisey in these rooms also! Once they had run out of towels and when we called they never brought them to us as requested. The breakfast in the morning however is better than average. It has all the meats and potatos as well as cereals and bagels. The dinner food is also hit and miss. Some entrees were yummy and others were lack luster such as the fish and chips which had no flavor at all. I had the chicken blue cheese salad and it was good! The desserts were really good also and they do have a sort of "room service" but you have to go down to the noisey bar to pick it up which isn't fun if you just got out of the pool. The staff were mostly friendly but overworked. The hotel is understaffed so anytime you call housekeeping all you get is the front desk. I think the economy may be in play here as they seem to be cutting back. What I don't get is cutting back on staff on weekends when the hotel fills up!! That's when you notice the lack of staffing. They get overwhelmed quickly and it shows on their faces for sure, especially at the front desk. However, it has a great pool and is the cheapest bet by far.

Room Tip: We liked the Lassen Wing since it didn't face the freeway and our rooms had the newer air condit...
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel exceeded our expectations. When we checked in (for a reserved price we already considered reasonable), the hotel staff person informed us that our rate should actually have been lower and reduced it by $30 to $89/night! Each room had its own balcony, the beds felt firm but soft, and the air conditioning splendidly effective. The rooms were tasteful and roomy, and the service was quite good. We were spending the day at Turtle Bay, and the hotel's location was ideal, just across I-5 and only 5 min. away. Although breakfast wasn't included, it was worth the $4.95 per adult, and all was well-stocked and tasty. From now on, this will be our go-to stop whenever we're passing through between Oregon and California!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We used the property after a few days camping in Lassen National Park. They were friendly everywhere in the hotel. We had the breakfast and the food was decent. Scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes , fruit, etc. The pool and hot tub were fine. Closed at 10. Some wear and tear but overall a basic place to stay for a day or 2. The bed was very comfortable. Not noisy as we had feared as we faced the freeway. Surprisingly quiet!

Room Tip: Possibly avoid a road view as it isn't a pretty sight looking out the back.