“FLEA INFESTED!”

Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Redding
Santa Cruz, California
“FLEA INFESTED!”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I've stayed @ this location prior & was pleased. Not any longer! The woman I made the reservations with said I'd have 2 beds (for my teenage son & 1 for meI). Arrived & they only had a room w/1 bed. The lady @ the front desk was friendly. I found hair on my pillow, between the sheets & on the towel in the bathroom. I thought it was odd, but didn't think twice about the flea that jumped on my arm before bed. Turned off A/C & went to bed. Itched most of the night. In the morning walked to the bathroom-feet started to feel pinching only to find 10-20 fleas on each foot! The warm air apparently woke up the flea infested room. Packed up quickly & told the front desk. Was offered 50% of next stay at that location. Not Happy!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelinVan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is a typical Motel 6: no worse and not better really. The room was clean and everything worked fine in the room. Front counter staff was friendly and the check-in clerk even called me up 30 minutes after I settled in to see if everything was OK. This motel is right on Interstate 5 so it is noisy. They set me up with a room facing west (away from the freeway) and it was quiet. Other rooms on the east side may be noisy. The only problem was that the bed was pretty bad. You could feel every spring in the mattress. The mattress pad may have been queen-size at one time but at shrunk to some odd size somewhere between twin and full. I’d say that the bed was my only problem.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from I-5 for quietness.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Southern Oregon Coastal Forest
Reviewed October 15, 2010

This is the WORST Motel 6 I've ever seen! As soon as I walked into the room, I noticed the carpet was not clean enough for me to walk on without shoes. Then, I sat on the bed. HARD AS A ROCK!! The mattress was so worn that you could actually see the indentations from bodies through the coverings. I looked at 2 other rooms, called a few other motels, got a great deal at the Super 8 and moved!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Redding hotels

Camas, WA USA
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I were in transit from Portland to San Diego and decided to find an inexpensive place to get some rest along the way. I checked out the lower priced properties listed here on TripAdvisor and thought the Motel 6 Redding South would be ok for one night. BIG mistake! The A/C did not work properly... when I called to report it the girl at the desk told me hod to fuss with the knob until the cold air would come on... even then it would only stay on a few minutes at a time! They advertise WiFi but charge you for it... a nominal fee but we could not get a signal in the room! I had to sit right next to the window to get one bar! BUT THAT IS NOT THE WORST OF IT!!! The rooms are filled with fleas! I found them even on my towel... so gross! Do yourself a favor.... add the money you would spend in flea shampoo and disinfectant to the price of this motel... and get yourself a much better room!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Candiedshell
London
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Impressed with this budget motel. The room was basic but very clean and tidy. Lots of hot water, wifi worked well (was a fee of around $3 per day) The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Only down side was a very hard lumpy mattress which we didn't sleep too well on, but otherwise very good.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We were in Redding for just one night, and needed a place to stay before venturing onto Reno, NV. We had never been to Redding, so we knew nothing about the town, where to stay, etc. This hotel was right off the freeway, but make sure to have your GPS or directions on standby because there isn't a sign from the freeway letting you know where it is. We got in much later than we expected, so thankfully there was still ample parking, our check-in was very quick and we were given a room on the 2nd floor, which we preferred. The room was fine; we found the ashtray with the no smoking sticker on the bottom rather funny. The complex was quiet which was nice because we needed to get an early start.

There were two reasons why we didn't give the hotel an "excellent" rating. One, we wanted a wake-up call, and when I lifted up the phone to call the front desk, there was no dial tone. The phone didn't work. And I looked to see if the phone was plugged into the wall, it was, but the blue/red wires were exposed on the phone cord. Not that big of a deal because we had cel phones with an alarm on it.

And two, I guess we've gotten so used to seeing free wi-fi at pretty much everywhere you go nowadays that we just assumed this would be the case here. Not so much; here they charged $2.99 for an access code to use their wi-fi. Three bucks didn't kill us, but it was one more trip down to the front desk that I had to take when I had already gotten comfortable in our room.

I have to remember that Motel 6 is like Southwest Airlines - no frills or any fancy stuff - just the basics. We did get what they specialize in - a clean, comfortable, quiet room which we felt safe in. There wasn't any mold in our bathroom, the bed was fine (I wasn't expecting a Sleep Number bed), we had a good night's sleep, our rental car was still in the parking lot the next morning which is always a good sign (though crime wasn't something I was particularly worried about in this town), check out was quick the next morning and we were on our way.

If we were going to stay for a few days, we probably would have chosen a slightly fancier place. But for a one night's stay, for the price, you can't get much better than this. Also, about 5-6 minutes away headed south on Cypress, there's this restaurant called Perko's - great breakfast!! Or you could always opt for the Denny's which is right next door.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SynthPopLover
Yreka, CA
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The room was fairly clean but I did notice some mildew around the tub. The beds were as hard as rocks. Did not make for a good nights sleep. The room served its purpose. We were out first thing in the morning and on the road again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family