“Sucky!!!!!”

Vagabond Inn Redding
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Redding
“Sucky!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2006

My wife and I were greeted with the stench of mold upon entering our room. Mildew seemed to abound everywhere. The front desk personnel were unfriendly and less than accomodating. There were bugs in our bed. The pool's surface was gross, as if nobody had bothered to skim the scum from it for weeks. All night long, people made loud, awful noises. Perhaps they were cooking meth, having parties. Whatever the case, you'll do well to run as far and as fast from this poophole as you can.

Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2005

I wish I had read these other reviews before I tried to stay here. I had booked on-line with a no refund policy so I was stuck for the bill. The wallpaper was hanging off of all the walls, the air conditioning unit was covered with greasy fuzz an inch thick and when I entered the bathroom there was a large hole in the ceiling with electrical wires hanging out of it. Just the thought of spending a night with my eyes closed in this place sent me down the road looking for any other place to spend the night. After I had booked a room for the night I returned and told the manager that I could not stay there that the room was in a horrendous condition and that I would be letting the agencies that I had used know what poor condition the place was in. He said, "Go ahead, I don't care what you do or they do".

I wrote a letter to HoJo and the other agencies. I only heard back from one informing me that they no longer recommended the place. I will never stay in another Howard Johnson's. I am glad I stayed elsewhere, but I wish I had read these reviews! BE WARNED!!!!

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Redding hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

This Hotel is dirty, old, deperately needs a paint job and lots of updating. The inside looks like something out of the ghetto. We stayed in two Howard Johnson Hotels on our vacation and have decided to stay elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2005

-The TV had no remote control
-Only half of the lights worked
-Broken Bed
-I tried to call the front desk for help but the phone didn't work
-The worst part was the dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door

While checking out I asked to speak to the manager, I was told he was not in so I left my phone# for him to call me..... no call

I report the problem to Howard Johnson and they were of no help at all. It took 12 weeks to get a refund and I have a strong feeling they did nothing to fix the problems.

• Stayed January 2005
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2005

The first room had a bed that was snapped in two and partially collapsed. No, I think it was more than collapsed. It was held together by virtue of the mattress cloth. It slopped to the left. All the blood drained to my head as I slowly slid off the bed. They quickly gave me a new room.

The second room had a broken remote. The fan in the bath did not work so there was humidity and various lingering odors unless the main door was opened to the cold night. Was that pee I smelled or was that mildew when I first walked in the door? The air/heat sounded bad. Was there a hole in the roof over the heater letting in loud freeway noises? The shower did not drain. I had scum around my ankles after showering.

The staff was very pleasant and well meaning. There was hot water and the toilet flushed.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2005

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. It was aweful. There was no screen on the window, the bathroom was dirty, the sheets were stained, and I believe there was mold in the room. I woke up with a horrible sore throat and I have been coughing up green mucus. Never stay here!! It is completely unsanitary!!

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2004

I was in Redding the past weekend for an adult basketball tournament. We stayed at a wonderful place (The Grand Manor Inn) on Friday night with the rest of my team but since money was an issue and we didn't want to drive the 2 1/2 hours after the tournament, we booked this HoJo Express for half the price ($39.95) of our first night's stay. When we checked in, the lady at the desk was friendly enough, but her systme did not show that our reservation had been made. This was disconcerting, but the place was slow and it wasn't really an issue since there were plenty of rooms. When we entered our room, it was a little grungy but kind of what we would expect for a cheap motel. Then it got worse.

We were about to go to bed when my fiance reached for the light and found a colony of ants covering the wall and her nightstand. I went to turn on my light and found the same situation. We then looked towards the tv and saw that the wall behind it was covered leading to the garbage. The room was infested with ants. We then remembered that all of the furniture was oddly pulled away from the wall 6" as if they were taking care of this problem earlier in the day. We called the front desk and explained the situation and asked that we be switched to another room. The man sounded shocked but had no problem with us changing rooms, so we gathered our stuff which we also found to be covered in ants.

Our new room was approximately 4 rooms down and when we entered we saw some ants on the first wall and in the bathroom. It wasn't as extreme as our first room but our first room didn't "appear" to have the infestation at first either. The furniture was also pulled away from the walls as if they had been trying to take care of a problem. In addition, 3 of the 4 lights did not work. We realized that there was a problem with the motel and the rooms were unsuitable for an overnight's stay. We went to call the front desk and the phone was DEAD.

We walked down to the front desk and politely told the man that we could not stay there and asked for our money back. He started yelling and REFUSED to refund our money. We then asked that he book us a room at a comparable motel that didn't have a bug infestation problem. He said that we could stay there or leave and told us that everyone has ant problems and sleeps with ants and that we could deal with it or go to another place, but that he would not give us our money back. We were furious and were getting quite frightened by the way the man was behaving so we called the police. While the police were on their way the man threatened to lock us in the office and then left with a rag and a can of ant spray. When he came back, he smelled of ant spray and it was obvious he was trying to get rid of the ants before the police arrived.

A police officer arrived shortly after our call and was very understanding. He could smell the ant poison and was sympathetic to the situation, but said that he couldn't demand that the man refund our money. He then told us that we should contact our bank to try and block payment for the room because the situation was so ridiculous.

We contacted the Howard Johnson Corporate Offices who were reluctant to do anything about the situation...even with the man at the desk SCREAMING at us in the background. The lady at the Corporate Office apologized but told us to call another number on Monday. She also had nothing to say about what "standards" were expected of a franchise Howard Johnson Motel. Needless to say, we left the property immediately and will NEVER GO BACK. We have a formal complaint in with Howard Johnson and the way they respond will determine whether or not we EVER step foot in another HoJo again.

The worst part of the whole night...we didn't have enough money to get another room after the HoJo had made the charge and we had to drive all the way back to Sacramento in the middle of the night.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member