“Left within 5 minutes....to gross to stay.”

Ponderosa Inn Redding
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The only good thing I have to say that the front desk young lady was very polite and gracious. The room was filthy and when we pulled back the bedding (I was afraid to let the kids sit on the bedspread) three spiders came running out. We pulled the bedding back the rest of the way to find that the sheet did not cover the entire mattress. The exposed "matress cover" had grass and hair stuck to the visable edge. A full three inches of mattress has no covering at all. We left immediately. The bathroom was filty as well. I just can't imagine sleeping in that room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
abviredding, Owner at Ponderosa Inn Redding, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2011

Thank you for posting your review we appreciate your taking the time to do so. We apologize for the conditions that you found during your stay. Your comments are used to further train our staff and evaluate needed changes to our facility and procedures.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

The inn was located in a very obscure place and difficult to find/get-in/get-out.
The room we checked in was a non-smoking but smelled smoking horribly. A lady who had checked in before us was complaining at the front desk about the horrible smoking smell in her non-smoking room as well when we arrived. We saw a pick-up truck driver smoking in the car arrived and then entered in a non-smoking room. It seemed smoking and non-smoking rooms were not much different in this inn.
Quite different from those photos listed in its website, our room was very dark. One ceiling light was broken and not usable.
I would recommend putting some more bucks and find somewhere else if you want to be secure and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this motel because his veteran's group was having an event near Redding and this was the location all of the others were staying at. Check-in was okay although they wanted a $40 cash deposit if we were paying with cash that would be refunded at check-out. When we got to our room on the 2nd floor, it was back in a dead-end corner at the top of the stairs. The room was extremely dark, even with the curtains open you had to have the lights on in the room. This was because we only had half of a window. The other half had been blacked out because the dead end was a storage room that overlapped on our window. I immediately went back down to the desk to get our room changed. The girl behind the desk, Kellie, said that they had no more King, no smoking rooms. I looked out in the parking lot to a sea of empty spaces and said well obviously not everyone has checked in, so could you please switch us with someone who has not yet checked in. She said well I don't know how to do that. I asked who did and she said her supervisor who lived on the property but wasn't there. She offered to call me when she came in. We checked out two days later and never received a phone call.

A word about the room. In addition to being very dark, it was filthy. Of the three chairs, only one could be used as the other two were disgustingly dirty. The arms and seat of one were black and I'm not exaggerating. The other one was very badly stained on the seat. When I turned back the covers in the bed, there were two hairs on the sheets.

Don't waste your money at this dump. If we had not been with a group, we would have gone elsewhere even if it meant we had to pay for the night.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I used a coupon out of the travel magazine I got at the Oregon/CA border and the room was $43----way below all the other motels. The front desk was very helpful and friendly, and I liked the microwave and refridgerator. The room was clean but dated, comfortable bed and a lot of TV channels. The restaurant adjoining the motel has excellent breakfasts but the hotel's complimentary continental breakfast is nothing.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Front desk was friendly and helpful and the room was better than expected, even had a microwave and fridge. There were many cable channels and the bed was comfy. One problem: after an hour of crawling around on the floor, my baby's knees were BLACK! Checked my own feet and sure enough, it looked like I had walked barefoot on the street. Not sure if it was dirt or ink from the cheap carpet (it looked somewhat new). We will try another motel next time but it's a shame because everything else was good.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2008

we stayed here for one night on our way up to oregon. overall, it served the purpose of providing us with a place to rest and sleep. rooms were small but well equipped (there was even a mini refrigerator and microwave in each room. insulation wasn't too great as you can hear people talking right outside your room as if there were no barriers. and eventhough we requested a non-smoking room, we could tell that people have smoked in the room recently--so ventilation could be better. and in a place where the weather can reach above 100 degrees, you would expect the air conditioning to be central cooling, but their use of a whole in the wall air conditioner unfortunately only cooled one location of the room--the area closest to it! we only stayed for one night so it was bearable and the front desk people were very friendly so that was good.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I booked a night at this hotel but due to unforseen events I wouldn't get to the hotel until 3 or 4am so I inquired about cancelling the room on short notice. I was informed that if I cancelled that I had to pay for the room anyways so I said that we would still need the room for a few hours sleep. I was informed by the very, very rude "owner" of this establishment that I could not stay there now. He stated that expedia had cancelled my room (which they DID NOT) and I double confirmed. He insisted that it was cancelled and that I was being charged for it but could not stay there - can you believe that? Expedia ended up giving me a credit for my stay (because they could not deal with this person either) and we found a different hotel. The hotel may be decent to stay at per other customer reviews, but the staff have NO idea about customer service. I have stayed at many, many hotels and have never been treated with such disrespect and carelessness. Unbelievable.

Stayed: August 2007