“Noisy, Dirty, & Smelly”

Ranked #34 of 36 Hotels in Redding
Junction City, California
“Noisy, Dirty, & Smelly”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to Mercy Hospital. The first problem they didn't want to accept the rate we got and paid for online. They would only give us a room upstairs, my wife uses a cane making it difficult to climb stairs they don't have an elevator. We got in our first room and the smell of marijuana made my family feel sick. We finally got a room downstairs; the noise was continuous all night long. The hotel posts safety warnings handouts, posters, and key-fobs regarding protecting your personal property while staying there.

Room Tip: stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank willginger
abviredding, General Manager at Ponderosa Inn Redding, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you for posting your review we appreciate your comments. Your reviews are used to evaluate our property for needed changes and renovations and as a training tool for our employees. We apologize for any inconvenience which you encountered while a guest at our property. Please be assured changes are being made to insure that the conditions that you described will not re-occur in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fremont, CA
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Very affordable lodging AND pet friendly. I thought the rooms were pretty quiet, I know that there were guests in the nearby rooms, but didn’t hear much, so I thought that that was a big plus. The room was dated for sure, carpets felt a little tacky/sticky, the sink was off of the bathroom, and needed a drain catch, the bathtub had a strand of hair in it, the towels were worn and thin. Ok that was not so good stuff, but there were many pluses—check in was a breeze, queen bed was very comfortable, there was a comfy sitting chair and pull out ottoman that my toddler just loved to climb off and on of, we didn’t hear our neighbors, water pressure of the shower was good, mini fridge was very good and the little freezer section worked well, there was also a microwave but didn’t try that, tv worked fine, and in the morning, there was a jug of apple juice, oj, and milk, small danishes, cereal, coffee, hot water. Overall, a comfy stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kakimochi
We appreciate your comments and want you to know we are taking stops to insure that our staff is properly trained and needed renovations are planned. We try hard to provide you with the most comfortable stay possible for the most affordable rates. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the near future.
Camas, Washington
Reviewed September 29, 2010

It was our first experience staying at this Motel Chain, NEVER again! My husband and I checked in with pets. Upon walking into our room, #108 the first thing that jumped out at us was the two chairs in our entry way. They looked like something that had been in a hobo camp for years! We lifted the covers on the bed and the sheets had wrinkles and showed signs, that someone had slept there already. The toilet plugged up, no HBO as advertised. After checking in that evening, I went looking for the pet area, only to find myself standing in a busy four-way intersection, in my night clothes!!! It all seemed like a bad dream. OH and the Ponderosa Restraunt has a lounge with live music, that echos through out the whole motel complex.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dcknucklehead38
abviredding, Owner at Ponderosa Inn Redding, responded to this review, April 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments, we appreciate your thoughts and use them to further train our staff and evaluate our Inn for future updates. We do have a Pet area off to the side of our Inn where our guests can exercise their pets. We are in the process of making needed changes to our Inn and appreciate your feedback. We do have HBO on channel 3. We apologize for the conditions that you experienced and hope you will come back and give us another try.

Travelers are raving about these Redding hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The only good thing I have to say that the front desk young lady was very polite and gracious. The room was filthy and when we pulled back the bedding (I was afraid to let the kids sit on the bedspread) three spiders came running out. We pulled the bedding back the rest of the way to find that the sheet did not cover the entire mattress. The exposed "matress cover" had grass and hair stuck to the visable edge. A full three inches of mattress has no covering at all. We left immediately. The bathroom was filty as well. I just can't imagine sleeping in that room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your review we appreciate your taking the time to do so. We apologize for the conditions that you found during your stay. Your comments are used to further train our staff and evaluate needed changes to our facility and procedures.
SoCal
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The inn was located in a very obscure place and difficult to find/get-in/get-out.
The room we checked in was a non-smoking but smelled smoking horribly. A lady who had checked in before us was complaining at the front desk about the horrible smoking smell in her non-smoking room as well when we arrived. We saw a pick-up truck driver smoking in the car arrived and then entered in a non-smoking room. It seemed smoking and non-smoking rooms were not much different in this inn.
Quite different from those photos listed in its website, our room was very dark. One ceiling light was broken and not usable.
I would recommend putting some more bucks and find somewhere else if you want to be secure and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Elk Grove, CA
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this motel because his veteran's group was having an event near Redding and this was the location all of the others were staying at. Check-in was okay although they wanted a $40 cash deposit if we were paying with cash that would be refunded at check-out. When we got to our room on the 2nd floor, it was back in a dead-end corner at the top of the stairs. The room was extremely dark, even with the curtains open you had to have the lights on in the room. This was because we only had half of a window. The other half had been blacked out because the dead end was a storage room that overlapped on our window. I immediately went back down to the desk to get our room changed. The girl behind the desk, Kellie, said that they had no more King, no smoking rooms. I looked out in the parking lot to a sea of empty spaces and said well obviously not everyone has checked in, so could you please switch us with someone who has not yet checked in. She said well I don't know how to do that. I asked who did and she said her supervisor who lived on the property but wasn't there. She offered to call me when she came in. We checked out two days later and never received a phone call.

A word about the room. In addition to being very dark, it was filthy. Of the three chairs, only one could be used as the other two were disgustingly dirty. The arms and seat of one were black and I'm not exaggerating. The other one was very badly stained on the seat. When I turned back the covers in the bed, there were two hairs on the sheets.

Don't waste your money at this dump. If we had not been with a group, we would have gone elsewhere even if it meant we had to pay for the night.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I used a coupon out of the travel magazine I got at the Oregon/CA border and the room was $43----way below all the other motels. The front desk was very helpful and friendly, and I liked the microwave and refridgerator. The room was clean but dated, comfortable bed and a lot of TV channels. The restaurant adjoining the motel has excellent breakfasts but the hotel's complimentary continental breakfast is nothing.

• Liked — Low Price, Good Restaurant, TV
  • Disliked — Room a bit dated
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo