“3rd Time Was The Charm -- As Were the 1st and 2nd !”

TownePlace Suites Redding
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It isn't the rooms that are necessarily the superstars at the TownePlace Suites. As some other reviewers have rightly noted, the studio suites aren't the most spacious around. But on the highly positive side, they're nicely outfitted with fully functional kitchenettes, a bright desk and work area, and a sleeper couch ready for evening chillin'. And the entire property is clean and spiffy, in the Marriott tradition. And about the service... simply warm, welcoming and genuine. On 3 separate stays over the summer, it's always been the same welcoming atmosphere. Last time there, I was eating a take-out dinner on the patio (the only on-site food service is breakfast) when a couple next to me got their dinner delivered from a take-out fish-and-chips joint. The driver forgot the ketchup... the Marriott didn't have ketchup on site... but the front desk employee volunteered to find some. So they apparently called the other hotels on the same street... found one with some ketchup packets... and then personally walked over to get the ketchup. They delivered a big handful of packets with a smile, to a delighted diner on the patio. I was kind of in amazement. This kind of service typically can't be taught or trained. It's simply employee empowerment and wanting to delight a guest -- it just can't be beat !

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank CleoPatraLaJolla
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Redding

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was a little hesitant given this property is brand new. I figured a new staff, new building, there might be some kinks to work out. I was wrong. The staff was "on it" at every level. They did a great job making sure they were friendly and helpful from the front desk to the housekeeping service.

We stayed a week, playing on Lake Shasta. The two bedroom suite with kitchen was ideal given we were going to the Lake every day. Our room was always clean and tidy when we came home and very quiet so we could relax and unwind for the next days adventure. We had ample space for our needs and the AC was terrific and quiet. The beds, VERY comfortable.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic. I do wonder sometimes about how we American's love our food. :) People arrived at this "buffet" as though it might be their last meal, which I found over the top given there was plenty to go around. I would have liked to see more whole grain options in the bread bin, most of the bread was white. But they do have yogurt, raisin bran and oatmeal for healthy options. The staff was constantly refilling the containers and making sure the dining room was kept clean.

The gym was small with two treadmills and an elliptical - both brand new and in excellent working condition with Cardio Theater monitors. Free weights, medicine balls and a yoga mat.

Laundry room was great and needed during our long stay! A tad expensive at $4 per load for wash/dry.

Overall - we would stay here again. Great job!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights because we were in town to have the funeral services and burial for my mom. While I grew up in Redding and my parents have lived here for decades we no longer had connections to churches who could host a dinner for us after the funeral service. We asked the front desk about being able to use their breakfast area to use to serve our own food to those who attended the funeral. To our shock that graciously said, "yes"! It took so much pressure off of us about how we were going to feed everyone. Then my husband needed to get his shirt dry cleaned and one of the front desk girls (we think Mikayla?) took it to the dry cleaners herself so we could have it time for the funeral the next morning!

Geoff was so helpful to us during our stay as well, he even offered to go pick up the pizzas that we had just ordered. We cruise frequently and this is the first time that the level of service we received from a hotel even began to rival that of the service we receive on cruises.

I read some of the other reviews and the breakfast may not be as nice as in some other hotels but you do have a kitchen, you could cook. My husband was happy because he got his freshly made waffles. Did not ruin our stay.

We had a two bedroom unit and was very happy with the size for the 4 of us. The pool was small. But all of these other things are made up for by the great service that we received from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff. We will stay here again when in Redding.

Room Tip: If you have kids make sure you get the two bedroom unit. Makes the stay very enjoyable.
2  Thank Kim D
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked a double room and received a free upgrade to a two bedroom suite. I have braces so at 9:00 pm I went to the front desk looking for a straw and found Kim at the front desk who searched until she found me one....exactly what you would hope for and actually get from Marriott personnel. AND the rooms were large, spotless, fully equipped and quite.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here during Memorial Day weekend. It was a last minute trip. Good location considering there was a small kitchen. The front desk staff was very helpful and responsive. The breakfast was mediocre but it did not matter so much to us. The rooms are clean and the property appears to be a new one. The beds were comfortable. Complimentary high speed internet was decent.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I usually stay at the Fairfield Inn in Redding but since there was a new Marriott in town i thought i would give it a try. I was greeted friendly and the staff was very nice, but I was put into what I was sure was the smallest room they had. After complaining to the front desk they told me that they would move me to a larger room if I came down and got new keys, I came down and was put into a room that was even smaller than the first. I not only did this once but twice. Everything else about the hotel was fantastic, and it is a beautifully remodeled hotel. I really just wish the rooms were a little bigger. After moving rooms 3 times I decided to check out and go to the Fairfield Instead. It would definitely help if they rearranged the furniture and put in a work space so I would have a place to set my items.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just returned from a busy weekend in Redding while our daughter danced at the civic auditorium. We usually stay at the Oxford but I love trying new hotels. We reserved a King Studio room since all of the 2 bed rooms had been booked. There was a large swim meet going on in town and all of the hotels in the Hilltop area were pretty full. The room was decent size with a fully equiped kithchen are which we always like. We had a pull-out bed for our daughter. It was a decent bed but once it was pulled out, the room became pretty tight. The bathroom had a good sized closet area and was really clean. The hotel is only a few months old, so that was not to big of a surprise. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The morning breakfast crew went above and beyond for several other guests, which was nice to see. Speaking of the breakfast, it was sparce and not as nice as some others we have experienced. But overall it was acceptable. It was nice that they had an outside seating area that you could use. The weather in Redding is usually nice enough to sit outside most times of the year, but the did have and outside fireplace that people could sit by if needed. The only downside of the hotel were the small pool and slow elevators. The elevators were liveable since the hotel is only 4 stories tall, but the pool, while nice and clean was rather small. Redding is one of the hottest places in Northern California but it seems all of the hotels in the area skimp on the pools. It's a shame and could be a major draw for the hotel. It would definitely influence my decision if any of the other nicer hotel had anything better, but the really don't. I think we would stay there again or maybe the Oxford, depending on the rates we could get. They are pretty equal in quality.