“Be aware of leaving a Credit Card for Room”

Hilton Garden Inn Redding
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Redding
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I had made the reservation for the Hilton due to the last time I was in the area, we stayed at the La Quinta and we put into a room with people already occupying the room. The hotel is still fairly new, and is on the quite side of town. Had no problems until after I came back home and saw that the authorization was still on my credit card, even though they charged for my room. I had talked to a gentleman, Tony, in regards to this after I sent an e-mail to Hilton HHonors. He said if the authorization is still in place after a few days, to call back. So I trusted his advice, but by the following week, it was still in place. It took me 2 weeks to get this taken care of. I had to call my credit card company to have the authorization removed. They did a 3 way call and the person that I was talking to, Rochelle, told me that I was the one that needed to call to have it removed. Seriously? I have worked in the hotel industry and know people that work in it and it is the hotel that should call to have it removed, NOT THE GUEST. Even my credit card company stated that the hotel should have called if they still noticed the authorization in place. They will never get my business again and I want a refund of my stay for forcing the guest to do the work for them.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank socalabel
HGI-Redding-GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Redding, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

I’m sorry for the issue with your credit card authorizations. There are times when authorizations may take a few days to release depending on the banks or credit cards used. We had contacted your bank and their customer service representative asked us to have you contact them for more information. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I spent two days that this hotel on business. The hotel is right off of the I-5, making it very convenient for travellers. Hotel is clean and well organized. The staff is friendly and helpful with any questions. The rooms are updated and there is free WiFi (and it is fast) throughout the hotel. Hilton has new adjustible beds in which the guest can adjust the firmness of the mattress. There is a restaurant on the premises that serves lovely food for those who do not want to venture into town. There is even a small bar. A nice touch is that in the evening they have free freshly baked cookies. There is a fitness on the premises but I did not partake in this amenity. Overall, this is an excellent little hotel and it was a delight to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ViennaLover

Thank you for the review. We do have everything right where you need it. Hope to see you on your next trip to Redding.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We've stayed at several places in Redding on our trips between California and Portland, Oregon. This is our favorite. Warm, friendly reception. Complementary cookies. Clean, nicely-appointed rooms. The best part is that there is a casual restaurant and bar off the lobby with a cheerful ambience, good service, decent and reasonably-priced food. So nice not to have to find a place to eat when one is tired after a day's travel!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MCN-Travels
HGI-Redding-GM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Redding, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

The cookies are great after a day on the road. Thank you for the review and the kind words. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I'd really like to give this place a "very good" but the drawbacks sway it into "average" territory.

Are the cute scented lotion and shampoo / conditioner the reason I paid $129 ? They could lose those and take the price down and it might be a better deal. Hotel is clean and in a pretty location (view of the rapids of the Sacramento River from the gym) but it is overpriced for what you get.

Yes, my room had a coffee maker with Starbucks coffee (a plus) and a microwave and mini fridge, but this is starting to be standard fare in motels and I still felt it wasn't worth it for money paid. This is Redding, not Los Angeles or San Francisco (high rent motel rooms there).

Oh, if you don't want to pay ten bucks for their crummy breakfast, there is a Lumberjack's Restaurant north on I-5 (exit west onto Bechelli ...it's only about a mile north of the hotel's exit/entrance) and go about one block west on Bechelli and it's right there on your left).

The walls were so thin I could hear the entire phone conversation of the guy next door. He had phone in speaker mode and I could even hear his boss yakking away!

Postage stamp size plunge pool (are they kidding? This is one of California's hottest cities!) was a huge disappointment.

Okay, there ARE some very good pluses: good sized safe deposit boxes available at the front desk; windows do open for fresh air, plasma tv in room (not a lot of channels but they have LodgeNet), and the room was very clean. Free internet either by wifi or ethernet cable (provided free on request). USA Today paper was at my doorstep free of charge in the morning.

Just not a good deal.

Room Tip: West side rooms (even numbers) will be quieter, away from freeway. Not a good hotel for families wi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank queen_of_expats

Thank you for the feedback. We strive to exceed expectations, I’m sorry that we didn’t meet yours. Our rates do vary depending on the season and when reservations are made. Thanks again for the review and we hope you’ll try us again.

Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I must say this is the best hotel experience I've had. Everyone was so warm, friendly and accommodating. Tracie was especially helpful and friendly.

I could not find one thing that I thought would make our 3 night visit better. Some of the features I especially enjoyed: Nice view of the river, Starbucks coffee even in your room, great shower, nice restaurant and bar, view at the pool, comfy bed, clean room, cookies, free wifi and more.

We shall return again and again.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. It sounds like you were able to experience everything we had to offer. I’m glad to hear it was a fantastic visit. We hope to see you again and again.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed there 3 months ago on the way to Arizona and rated it highly: staff, room, restaurant all were 100%. Same again on our return trip. The only difference was the price. We paid $109 going down in February and $134 in May.

I guess the only complaint is that breakfast was an extra.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

We strive for consistency. Our rates do change based on seasons and by the way, there are rates available that do include breakfast. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night on April 24, 2012 and used 30,000 Hilton Honors points to pay for it. This hotel is on the outskirts of Redding, but has been updated and looks good. The pool and spa are small, but the hotel isn't that big either, so it evens out. It definitely works well for business guests too. Definitely would stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 2thdoc73

Thank you for the review. We work hard to stay on top of renovations and maintanence to ensure a pleasant experience.