“Just as good the second time around!”

Travelodge Redding CA
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Redding
Vacaville, California
“Just as good the second time around!”
Reviewed November 18, 2010

This is my second stay at this Travelodge. I like the cozy feeling as you enter the parking lot. Everything was waiting upon check-in. It was a breeze. The clerk knew how to move it along quickly, something I always appreciate. The room was clean and comfortable for my one night stay. I especially appreciated the touch of them calling to remind us of the time change. After a hectic day it was a relief to not have any worries.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Czech first
Puyallup WA
Reviewed November 7, 2010

The reviews were a primary reason I chose Travelodge, and at first glance, everything lived up to what we expected, not the ritz, but more than adequate for the price. The bathroom was very clean, the mattress looked new, I slept pretty well...until I woke up with bedbug bites. They must have loved me, my husband had none.
When checking out, I told the clerk, and she commented, "we just changed that mattress, too!" Obviously there was a reason the mattress had to be changed. They were proactive, it seems, but not thorough enough. It was room 250, in case you're checking in. Avoid that room, and any nearby, above or below. I canceled my next reservation for the return trip home and stayed in Red Bluff an a unique B&B, the Jeter Victorian Inn. Another experience, but in a very, very good way!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjArtist
RTL, General Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
I too have mixed feelings, mine is about the review and the negative impact such a review has on a business that has worked very hard to be a "Quality Designator" with Travelodge and a proud member of the Wyndham family. This designation is rare. It is given for highly maintained standards of quality and cleanliness. Not only that but it combines a service element that is taken from various metrics of service and surveys from our guests. Just as we have over 200 reviews here on TripAdvisor which show a clear pattern of exceptional guest satisfaction. This is who we are. An economy property that shoots higher than many in our sector.
Reality: We have NEVER had bed bugs The mixed felling I have this review is on one hand we were clean and the other she had this "issue." The review's bed bug statement is false, misleading & defamatory. It has negatively affected some business, but not those who know us. We’ve never had bed bugs. How do we know, we were one of the first property's that began passive & daily inspection, we have a contracted service assuring, isolation & eradication if ever needed. Tossing the bed wouldn't work. All the rooms surrounding such a find would have to be isolated and treated. This guest would have to be treated and everything with her collected and isolated. Almost certainly this guest would bring home the bugs. We would have had an infestation and by this stage be in full fledged attack mode against such critters. But, this is NOT THE CASE. What did our guest experience? I honestly do not know. I don't know their travels. I don't know where they had been. Where they visited, what they did. I do know we have had no issues in the room they stayed in or any of the other 40 room on our property.
We're clean with no bed bugs, but bed bugs aren't limited to clean or dirty properties, they can be found in any 5 star also.That is why it's a "must" to have a plan and procedure - a process, to make sure daily you don't have a problem. We do this for our guest protection as well as our own - I live on property, it's my home. You guys are my guests and that's why we do what we do.
In our management responses as in all our dealings - I shot straight and tell you the truth. We we had such an issue we would address that with the same forthrightness.
As for the beds, we changed our beds not due to bed bugs, rather guest satisfaction and our current brand standard which again, we were out in front of the standard and began replacing beds well over a year ago, "NEW" Pillow Top Serta Perfect Sleeper Concierge Emerald Plush mattresses - doing this even during the recession - Why to provide comfort for our guests. That is what our front desk person was saying,
Assumption, self diagnosis and a review not based in actual fact is now one that we have to respond to, seemingly defending ourselves against something we don't offer - when people love us for what we do offer, Value, Cleanliness and great customer service.
California
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Clean, comfortable place to stay. Great value for money. Free wifi in rooms is great. Only negative is there's no restaurant on the premises, but the hotel does give you coupons for breakfast at Lumberjacks!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We stayed at the Redding Travelodge with a wedding party. All together, we had eight rooms. All of us were impressed by the accuracy and professionalism of the front desk. I had several phone calls with reservations about changes in our number of rooms, types of rooms and number nights. They were unfailing polite and 100% accurate in keeping track of our needs.
The rooms are not fancy. This is a middle-tier motel, not a 4-star hotel. But everything was clean and in very good repair. The air conditioners worked great! The housekeeping staff did an excellent job cleaning around all our wedding paraphenalia.
We used both breakfast options. The breakfast grab bags were basic, but nice. Everything was packaged nicely and was nicely cold and fresh. The breakfast at "Lumberjack's" a few miles away was great American diner food, and we were treated kindly and felt welcome though we used only our free vouchers.
Just for accuracy, the rooms are a bit small. And the beds and bedding have not been upgraded the way some middle-tier motels are starting to do, but they weren't bad, either.
The area is quiet, and the view of the hills from the pool area was a beautiful bonus. All 17 in our party decided we would definitely stay there again if we have a chance. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2010
Blairstown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed at the Travelodge with our son while driving from Crater Lake to San Francisco. It was only to be a quick stopover. We were told breakfast was included when we made the reservation, but we never expected to be given a voucher to the Lumberjack Cafe, which was a few exits off the Interstate away from the Travelodge. It was an unusual but great breakfast and made the stop a lot more pleasant than it otherwise would have been.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I was in Redding for a Wedding this past weekend. I am typically a Hilton devotee but this time, since the wedding party was staying here, I decided to spend the time with friends rather than be off in a different hotel. This is a semd-nice low-end motel, but this "second best in Redding" rating is ridiculous. I gave this two stars, and would have only given it one if it weren't for Anthony, the guy who works the desk at night. He is the star of the property and should probably be promoted. When he IS promoted and is able to quit working at this difficult little property, it will be bad news for this place.

For starters the room itself was very oddly shaped. There was no closet, simply a clothing bar that actually hangs halfway over the sink. There is a full-sized refrigerator between the bathroom and the sink. So great for hygiene. I need to walk by the food between using the toilet and washing my hands. Of course that's assuming that I cold find the light switch that is tucked away behind the fridge. And who wouldn't want to have their hair dryer cord laying across the coffee maker while drying their hair? (Okay - I know - the Sarcasm is getting thick here.)

At one point all of the outlets in the kitchen stopped working. There was one and only one hotel employee on the grounds at that point - the person at the front desk who pretty much said "I'm new here and don't know how to make a decision." Fortunately I figured out what was wrong (There are 3 outlets on one GCFI circuit and the outlet with the reset switch is conveniently located to the left of the sink which is halfway in the closet mentioned above.) and my wife was able to dry her hair in time for the wedding.

The real thing that peeved me was when it came to checkout. The wedding was at 2:00 and I didn't want to put on the suit and tie in the 90+ heat until right before the wedding. Check out time is 11:00 and I made what I thought was a reasonable request - to check out at 1:00 or 1:30. I asked the woman who said she was "new here" and said she didn't see a problem with it since they had only rented about 1/3 of the rooms for the next night, but that she would have to ask the manager who had stepped out (at 8:00 on a Sunday morning) to run an errand. We went back to the room and I got in the shower. The phone rang, Mrs. BMO answered and they told her "no" - the best they could do was 12:00 (which of course did us no good). They didn't offer an explanation, they didn't offer to let us pay for it. They simply said "no."

By the time I heard about this we really only had time to pack our stuff up, beg one of our friends to let us dump it in their room for the afternoon, and head to the morning rehearsal.

But really - There were about 10 rooms booked for this wedding party. The hotel was probably making in excess of $2000 revenue on all these people, and they couldn't budge on a 2 and a half our extension of the check-out time to accommodate one of the wedding party? I still don't even really know how to react - I'm just astonished.

So - I will go back to the Hilton chain. When I'm astonished at the Hampton Inns, it's because of how well they treat me. I hate being astonished by this sort of "customer disservice" behavior.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Barack_Me_Obamadeus
RTL, General Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, October 15, 2010
Redding Travelodge is rated number 2 out of the 35 hotels in Redding with TripAdvisor. This is a rating we have held for many years now. That rating is created by several factors, not the least of which is the reviews from people who have actually stayed at the property. These reviews can be positive and/or negative. For the traveler these reviews allow the lodge seeking guests to get an idea as to what the property is like. What it offers, what others think, how the reviews compare to other properties in the market. One review does tell the real story, or the full picture. Don’t look at any one positive or negative review and make your decision where to stay.
Read several reviews. As you’re doing now, read the property responses. How did they respond? Does their response show engagement in the property? Does it speak to the specific issue? Do they address their policy and procedure in regards to the situation? Is a resolve or fix shared? Look at the number of reviews a property has. What is the flavor of the reviews (positive, informative, general good or negative and sarcastic?) How many reviews does the property have? How current are the reviews?
As for Redding Travelodge, we are a two diamond, top rated, value added property with most of the amenities, features and offerings found at properties charging on average about 20-30% more. We have and still impress many mid-scale, even high end customers with our major renovations, upgrades - not to mention the quality, value and service we give. All our guests are valued and we have one of the highest percentages of repeat guests in the region. As for this reviewer, we seemingly missed the mark and "HE" likely will be much happier staying and paying more at a Hilton.
Though some of our rooms are the largest in our market, there are some room layouts that have their own limitations. In this case, the full size fridge was something often asked for by families. So we placed one in the room and in the only spot it fit. For us what’s frustrating is many hotels don't even offer a fridge and microwave, much less a full sized unit. The light issue was a GFI plug which the guest reset before our maintenance man arrived to his room. No one seems to want a "new person" waiting on them, but our new lady was being trained by myself, the manager and "...don't know how to make a decision." part of the statement is an artist liberty taken by the reviewer. Maybe she didn't have the answer or the resolve herself, but not an inability to make a decision. We hire problem solvers, multi-taskers and people who know how to make decisions. We teach, train and empower our front desk attendants to do what they can to assist the guest to the best of their ability.
Often we can offer only short windows of extensions after our posted, advertized and addressed at reservation, checkout time (11am.) These offerings are considered when requested by a single guest or a large party. Limited windows (half hour to an hour) are due to scheduling for incoming guests that expect their room/s to be available by posted check-in time given at reservation. Also, the scheduling includes the cleaning and preparing of rooms before check-in time92pm.) One piece of the puzzle that wasn't available to our new girl which showed available rooms for that night, did not include new online reservations, reservations not put into the system or special room requests from arriving guests. These are some of the reasons why “prior” arrangements need to be made "before" same day request. These facts have been addressed with our new girl and have been our standard for many years. This guest was offered an hour extension. That particular room and many in the general are were already reserved. Often in parties such as this one, a room is requested in advance for a late checkout and it is shared for prep time for the event. Many wedding parties also reserve a single room for after the event for convenience and changing. We're sorry this guest wasn't pleased, we did what we could.
If you choose to stay with us, we will do our best to help and assist you with any special needs or requests. Please just ask ahead and we'll see what we can do. Sometimes we shine. Sometimes we’re limited, but if we are, we’ll let you know what we can do.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Our stays here were not "away from home"...We took home with us. At Redding Travelodge, the rooms and furnishings were a delight, the breakfast options were tremendous, the entire facility was terrific.
The staff really completed the WOW for our trip.
The cost: So very competitive.
Thank you very much. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments. This has been home to me and my family for 6 plus years. We have taken pride with where we live and it has been a fringe benefit to have guests stay with us that see and appreciate our efforts. Consider our home, your home. Again, thanks for staying and saying what you did.