“A sure thing”

Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Redding
California
“A sure thing”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I've stayed at this particular motel a number of times on business. It's always clean, friendly, and accomodating. The pool is clean and accessible, the rooms are large and have microwaves and refrigerators as well. And I loved the combination jacuzzi/fitness center. I travel ALOT, and it's helpful to know the location you'll be staying in is safe and clean. This one is a safe bet and a sure thing.

3 Thank reedlady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Czech first
Megatrev28
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed in the Travelodge Redding for 6 nights in April 2009, having made our selection based on the excellent reviews found on this website. We were not disappointed! The travelodge fully deserves it's 5 star rating.

We stayed in a suite comprising 1 room with 2 queens and a second room with a double, (great when staying with children). The rooms were spacious, clean and well equipped. The whole complex was very well looked after and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The heated pool was great extra and again very well maintained - a hit with the kids! All round the travelodge offers a great stay and is very good value for money.

3 Thank Megatrev28
RTL, Operations Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, May 30, 2009
Thanks for your positive comments. We appreciate the kudos and I have already shared them with our staff. Most guests find our various offerings a pleasant surprise and we work hard to make necessary adjustments each year to make the facility better. Last year we added misters to the pool area. This year we added refrigerated drinking fountains in the pool and also in the spa room.
The room you mentioned that you enjoyed is one of our most requested rooms; it's called our "Sleepy Bear Room." It has two queen size beds in the main room and a double bed in the attached room, that is laid out with our Sleepy Bear motif' - Not too many hotel rooms have three beds. We only have one room like that and it is asked for very often.
Kansas
Reviewed May 23, 2009

For the money, this hotel is great. Of course, it is not the Taj Mahal or anything, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Upon driving up, I was a bit nervous, but the inside of the rooms are way better than what the outside looks like. The staff is so nice and helpful. The rooms are clean, up to date, and smell better than most hotels (not musty).
If we travel to Redding again, we'd definitely choose this hotel again. The price is great, and you get a lot for your money. The breakfast included (a very short walk) is delicious and adds to the already good value of this hotel.
Overall, I recommend this hotel, if you are looking for a place to stay. If you plan to spend tons of time in the room (say, on a honeymoon or something), this may not be the place, as it is not very big....but for the normal traveler, the Travelodge is fabulous.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank sewilliams74
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I chose this motel since it had such great reviews and figured since it was a Travelodge, it would be cheap. I was wrong. I guess it's my fault since I never bothered to make a reservation or even call to see how much the rooms were before going there. I just never really thought a budget, economy type motel would be over $100.

The property is very hard to find if you're not from the area. I called and asked for directions but was put on hold. I'm sure the person had a good reason to do so, but I wasn't in the mood to wait while I was driving. Anyway, I finally asked around and got to the hotel. They have a small parking lot, with some really tight squeezes. I sensed a tiny bit of an attitude from the person at the desk. I don't know if it was because I mentioned that I was the person calling for directions earlier, or if this person was just having a bad day. So I finally get my part of the paperwork to sign when I find out it's over $100 for just a regular room with 1 bed. Seemed like an awful lot for a budget type of motel, but paid since I was exhausted. The check-in process took about 10 minutes.

The room was almost the complete opposite of what it looked like on the outside. The property itself looks nice, almost brand new. My room looked like it hadn't been remodeled since the 80s. I don't mind staying at retro motels, but for what I had just paid I couldn't help but feel a little ripped off. It seemed so dark, even with all the lights on. Anyway, I went and looked around to see if it was clean and found a thick layer of dust sitting on top of the fridge. The bathroom had a weird chemical smell to it. The bed was way too firm. The carpet looked very old and had what looked to be scratch marks or holes in certain spots near the beds. At night, I just turned my TV off and listened to sports center on the neighbors TV thanks to the paper thin walls. And while they accept pets at this location, they have no place for dogs to go. I looked and looked and all there was, was cement. I finally had to walk about 2 blocks before I found a patch of grass where my dog could relieve itself. In the morning I was given the choice to either get a coupon for Denny's (which is across town) or a tiny paper bag with an apple and a granola bar.

Yes I understand that this place isn't a 5 star hotel, but given the price it is definitely overrated. It's the most I've ever paid at a Travelodge, and probably one of the oldest, outdated looking Travelodges (from the inside, the outside looked nice) I've ever stayed at. I could have easily stayed 2 nights at another budget type place for the same price that I paid for staying just 1 night.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ajl12
RTL, Operations Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, May 1, 2009
This particular guest thought because we are a Travelodge the price would be cheap. The term “cheap” is relative to what something is compared to. Compared to the establishment where this guest stayed in on their return visit, we are not cheap. We are a great value. All too often, expectations and perceived value, determine how reviews are written. We have a clean, comfortable, secure property with over 40 free amenities all with value added pricing. We’re not the cheapest. Compare what properties offer and see if that’s what you want. Some just want a bed. Some don’t want a sit-down breakfast. Some don’t want a heated pool or an indoor spa and fitness cent. Some could care less whether a property has a guest laundry. Cheap is not what we are. If you look at the reviews posted and the ranking system of this very site, you’ll see that we have more reviews than any hotel in Redding. We also are always in the top of the rated properties. Of the top listed hotels – we have the best price for what is offered.

Directions to our property are clear, simple and precise on our web page. We list on the direction page; If your coming from the South…North… and so on. Our directions will lead you right to our door. I would encourage any traveler to make reservations ahead of time and get detailed directions before traveling to any venue they are not familiar with. Also, just a reminder to those traveling in and out of California, it is now illegal to use a cell phone without hands free while operating a motor vehicle within the state.

We do have free limited parking. The U-shaped layout of our property allows for most parking to be visible from the rooms. We encourage those with large vehicles, trucks, trailers or boats to call ahead so we can serve you best. Our front desk staff is some of the kindest, helpful and most informative attendants I have ever worked with. They are well trained to deal with all types of guests - those that travel well to those that are tired, wary. They specialize in those with bad moods, attitudes or those just having a bad day. We offer express check-in/out to all guest that have made a reservation, quickening the process at the front end and eliminating completely the need to check-out. Even without a reservation the check-in process should only take 5-7 minutes. Our apologies to this guest for the ten minute check-in.

We want everyone to sleep well. This guest said his single queen bed was too firm. We’ve settled that issue by replacing all our single queen beds with new Serta Perfect Sleeper Pillow Top mattresses. Great beds! I would match the standards and cleanliness of our hotel with any hotel in town. Upcoming and recent upgrades in bedding, amenities and equipment show a continual interest and investment on the part of ownership to make Redding Travelodge a great place to stay.

We are pet friendly and only charge $8.00@ night for a pet. We do however have a limited number of pet rooms and encourage those traveling with pets to call ahead, we’ll be glad to meet your needs. There is ample area around the parking lot for the pet’s relief. For extended runs and other purposes, there is a huge park and river trails within a few blocks from the property.

Lastly, we haven’t had breakfast a Denny’s in quite sometime. We’ve always given a free sit-down breakfast at a local restaurant because our repeat customers have requested it, enjoy it and now, expected it as part of their lodging experience. Our free breakfast offering is at the restaurant right next to the property. Free WiFi, A free morning newspaper, a sit-down breakfast with an expanded menu and re-fills to your coffee – good deal.- if you’re in a hurry, our pre-packaged Breakfast-To-Go bags include, 100% fruit juice, yogurt, a granola bar, fruit cup or applesauce. No apples in the bag. Those and other fruit are available in our free fruit bowl in the lobby. We think that beats a stale bagel and a warm glass of juice you get most places. FYI - the property where this guest eventually stayed on their return visit doesn’t offer breakfast – remember your cost and consideration should include the overall value not just the $$$. You have an open invitation to stay at Redding Travelodge and tell me what you think.
Salisbury UK
Reviewed April 24, 2009

We have just returned from a trip to Redding, California with our children aged 8 and 11. We had gone to visit Bethel Church and have a family holiday.We had chosen the Travelodge to stay in for 6 nights as a result of the excellent reviews on this website and we were not disappointed! The room was a good size, very clean, beds were really comfortable and the staff in reception were friendly and extremely helpful. The swimming pool was an enjoyable and added bonus as far as our children were concerned. We enjoyed the luxury of a swim and a visit to the small onsite gym/spa each day. The complimentary cooked breakfast was served at a friendly local restaurant which was a drive away, but this was fine for us as we drove to most things. Our room also had a small kitchen area with microwave, fridge and coffee maker which was extremely useful for our stay. The Travelodge was also in a great position in terms of driving to shops and restaurants and we even walked to Turtle Bay from there! We had a fantastic holiday at the Travelodge, great value for money and would recommend it gladly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank RobandSueSalisburyUK
Paradise, CA
Reviewed April 4, 2009

To celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, we decided to visit Redding. As an overnight visit, we decided to stay at Redding Travelodge and made our room reservations by phone. It was evident that customer service was important to them.
Our room was clean, the bed comfortable. The heated pool was clean and the temperature perfect. The indoor hot tub was a pleasure. There was an ample supply of towels at the pool and spa. Didn't have much interaction with the staff, but they were always pleasant. The meal voucher suited us fine.
Guess the joy of staying here could be determined by expectations. We had none and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sonseeker07
MAGALIA
Reviewed April 3, 2009

This motel is highly overrated. There is nothing really special about it. It is located in an unattractive area of Redding far away from the better restaurants and shops which are all close to I-5. Rooms are fairly large and clean but furnishings are old and chipped. One of the two chairs in my room was nearly falling apart. No upholstered armchair or anything comparably comfortable. Mattress was very firm, I guess for most people too firm. Carpets are cheap oldfashioned motel quality. Walls between rooms are thin. Even with volume range of TVs being limited by the owner, you can hear your neighbor's TV through the wall. Bad odor in my room. No complimentary breakfast. They give you a coupon for a Lumberjack restaurant. But it turned out that this Lumberjack was eight minutes away by car (without major traffic). Who wants to go that far out of the way early in the morning for a breakfast limited to the cheapest items on the menu? Not me. But avoid the restaurant next door to the hotel because it is too expensive for breakfast. Giving this Travelodge three stars, I feel very generous.

2 Thank Buddy-Bear
RTL, Operation Manager at Travelodge Redding CA, responded to this review, April 5, 2009
We are a value added property within an economy brand. However, we do not allow that to limit us. We have one of the nicest facilities in the Shasta county area. We have a great reputation for being a clean, quite, value added property. We have over 100 reviews on TripAdvisor and few are not positive. Addressing issue by issue; our portion of town is very attractive. The State, city and area businesses have spent millions of dollars on major road, business and infrastructure improvement. In 2003-04 we spent over a million dollars on a major remodel. At the same time many, if not most of the businesses this side of the Sacramento river did similar upgrades. We have 46 restaurants within 1 mile of our hotel, 17 of which are top listed on TripAdvisor by reviewers.
All our wooden furniture was reconditioned just this summer. All room have armed and unarmed chairs. We even have rooms with multiple chairs, tables, desks, a sofa and recliner. We have several types of mattresses, many are firm. However, we just installed new Serta Perfect Sleeper Concierge Emerald Plush pillow-top beds in all our single queen rooms and will have them in all our rooms by years end. Our carpets are high quality industrial quality and are well maintained. As with most hotels, TV’s volume levels are limited with presets to insure an overall positive guest experience, however some techno savvy guests know shortcuts on universal remotes to by-pass these settings. Thus, inconsiderate guests will bother others like this particular situation. We have established quite time beginning at 10pm and hopefully “all in room” by 11:pm
If we are notified of any noise issue we respond promptly and professionally. As for bad odor in room - all I can say is that we are sticklers for our rooms being clean and pleasant. We use eco-friendly, fragrance free cleaners in rooms and utilize air purifiers if there are issues that particular guests experience. In this case our logs do not show any report. A free (complimentary?) sit-down breakfast with 7 multi-selection offerings with beverage included is available with our menu/voucher offered at Lumberjack restaurant (Voted Redding's #1 breakfast several years running,) – less than 3 miles from hotel and thankfully Redding has NO major traffic. If these large portion selections are not desired a $3.50 per adult credit is given to purchase anything off the house menu, not limited to the cheapest items. We also offer our newly added “Breakfast-to-Go” Bags that many guests appreciate and really enjoy. I can not speak for the restaurant next door, but just in the past week or so the management and name has changed. I went issue by issue to give a management response to a review that didn’t seem to cast a good light on our better than average economy property.