“The best brews, burgers, fries in Redding”
Review of The Savory Spoon - CLOSED

The Savory Spoon
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We've had dinner here several times and I've not expanded my horizons with ordering anything else because the exceptionally delicious, juicy, and robust burger with caramelized onions, avocado and bleu cheese with home cut fries is "killer". Their gluten free hamburger buns don't crumble apart like many gluten free breads and taste wonderful. Although the beer selection is minimal, they always have some very good "Craft on Draught". We've always been pleasantly surprised. Whoever picks the brews, knows what they're doing. Good salads too. We were last there Friday night with extended family (seven of us) and everyone was satisfied. The Savory Spoon is my favorite place in Redding when I want a good salad, burger, fries, and beer.
We (four of us) went again for Sunday brunch, where you order off of the menu. I'd say it's the best breakfast in Redding! Good coffee from StrawHouse. Good omelette. Nice waitresses. Lots of gluten free items too.

4  Thank BarberistaMillerski

Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I found The Savory Spoon as we were traveling through northern California recently. A perfect place for lunch. It's off the freeway a ways but easy to find. The food was amazing. The salad greens were fresh, local, and well-prepared and presented. My wife had the bleu cheese dressing which was delicious. I had a grilled ham and cheese that was one of the best I've ever had. We both had the clam chowder (it was Friday!). Again, freshly made from scratch and very good. What was truly unique about this small restaurant is that it a non-profit venture. Their motto is "Real Food, Real People." Their revenues help give back to the community, especially Monday Community Day, when anyone can get a meal and simply pay what they can afford. The Savory Spoon is amazing: Great homestyle comfort food and a truly wonderful community spirit.

3  Thank Dean K
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I saw a review for this place that said "nonprofit". I asked what that meant the waitress said on Mondays people come in and only pay what they can afford.how great is that?

I had the best chicken and dumplings I have ever had and the pumpkin cream cheese was delicious.

2  Thank PaulK34727
Reviewed September 1, 2013

After paying too much for an average seafood dinner in Carmel, an average pasta dinner in Claremont, it was such a refreshing treat to come here! The waiter was delightful, the food was fresh and excellent (my husband and I loved how it easy to split an order for an extra $4 and get the full sized sides for each person). We shared the steak, which was delicious with the potatoes and seasonal green beans, and the salad was top notch (with slices of roasted golden beets). We also enjoyed a local wheat beer which was on tap. We love the non-profit mission of the restaurant (they provide free meals once a week to local residents - meals from their menu - the waiter said that the people coming often use it as a date night, for a meal they couldn't otherwise afford). We highly recommend this restaurant, and will come again when we pass through Redding next spring. Thank you to them for a great experience, and we loved being able to draw on the paper on the tables.

3  Thank Kathbrarian
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a pleasant meal at The Savory Spoon. We arrived rather late for dinner and were seated promptly. Since we have been travelling for awhile, we were looking for a dinner that tasted home-made and this fit perfectly. The mac and cheese and chicken and dumplings were tasty and hit the spot. We only wish we had room for desert! Would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank Wandering-B